Chapter XXXII

The motel room was dark as moonlight filtered through the curtain's pores, illuminating the room enough to make out an outline of the furniture. The sound of the heating hummed softly through the room, accompanied by the steady breathing of the sleeping inhabitant.

Eleanora lay staring at the ceiling, being able to make out an outline of the fan above her head. Sighing, she turned on her side, pulling the comforter up to the bridge of her nose. She looked into the body mirror against the wall she was facing as she distinguished the shapes visible to her on the reflection. Having slept through most of the drive here, she found it very difficult to fall asleep now. Gazing into the mirror, she made out the bulge that lay beside her, on the other edge of the bed.

He shifted restlessly in his sleep, a soft whimper escaping his lips. Every instinct in Eleanora's body wanted to wake him up and comfort him, telling him it was a dream, but she did no such thing. Instead, she lay still, watching the blanket move behind her as she wanted to know what would happen next. Suddenly, Apollyon let out a choked gasp into the darkness, slightly starling Eleanora at the suddenness as she didn't give away her consciousness.

Sitting up, he clutched at his hair as his breathing was erratic and coming in short pants, trying to compose himself. Apollyon scrubbed at his face with the back of his hand as he sniffled silently. Quietly, he got out of bed and grabbed his hood and cigarettes before making his way out the room, closing the door with a distinctive click. If Eleanora would have been asleep, she wouldn't have been awoken by his movements, he was that quiet.

Eleanora got out of the bed and slightly pulled the curtains aside, enough to have a view of Apollyon but not give her away. He was standing with his back towards her, leaning over the railing and visibly shaking, every so often he would wipe at his face, meaning that tears were streaming down. Taking out a cigarette, he placed it between his lips and lit it with trembling fingers.

Stepping back, Eleanora came to realise a few things. One: this had been going on a while now, because his stealth and agility could only have been achieved over a period of time where he repeatedly did it. Two: the nightmares were getting worse and three: books didn't keep him up at night like he claimed when she asked why he had dark circles under his eyes.

He was haunted.

But by what?

Eleanora made up her mind that she would ask him about it, but knowing him, he'd probably not tell her. So, she'll have to force it out of him. But she would find out what bothered him at night, one way or another.

Getting under the comforter, she acted to be asleep as she heard the door open, a slight chill accompanying it. She didn't hear his footsteps, and didn't know if he had entered the room or simply peeked in to check on her, but her suspicions were cleared as the washroom light turned on, creating a small path of light as Apollyon stood in the doorway. Closing the door behind him, the room was bathed in darkness once more.

When he stepped out again, he seemed to be bathed, as he made his way over to the bed. Getting under the comforter, he looked down to look at Eleanora who closed her eyes the moment he settled down. She felt the warmth of his hand near her face, before it was retreated again, a pained grunt escaping him. Laying on his back, Apollyon stared up at the ceiling like Eleanora had been doing before he started to hum softly, a song which Eleanora hadn't heard, but it sounded nice.

She got the sudden urge to snuggle closer to him, something which she hadn't done in ages, she realised. Overcome with acute desire, Eleanora tested out how he'd react if she scooted closer to him. Doing so, she didn't pick up on any tell tale signs of discomfort. So she moved ahead until she was curled against his side and heard his breath hitch momentarily. Laying still for a moment, she heard him continue to hum much more softer now. Finally, releasing a sigh she rested her head on his chest, as the humming stopped instantly. The fact that he didn't wrap his arms around her, had her heart clenching and tears brimming in her eyes.