Chapter Fifty Nine

*NORMAL POV*
*Nicole*

Darkness was all I could see. Darkness surrounded me and there was no escape. I would be in darkness until the day I die.

A shuffling noise caught my attention and I turned in that direction.
"H-Hello?" I stuttered. No reply. I became more anxious when the shuffling noise became louder, as if it was coming closer to me.
"W-Who's there?" Suddenly I saw a dim light in the far corner of the room. My curiosity got the better of me and I found myself walking over to the dimmed light.

As I neared closer I realised that there was a bundle of clothes on the floor with a small girl perched on top holding the dimmed torch. My brows furrowed as I took in the girls appearance. She had long dirty blonde hair which was in nots, her face was pale with small freckles scattered across her nose and cheeks, her eyes were dull and grey and she had small bags underneath them and she looked as if she hadn't eaten for days. For the look of this girl I would say she was maybe 9 or 10 years old.

I walked closer to the girl and when I reached out to touch her she immediately recoiled away from me.
"Hey, hey. It's ok. I won't hurt you, I promise." She hesitantly looked over at me and then nodded her head slightly. I slowly crawled over to her just incase she changed her mind. When I settled next to her she started to ask me a few questions.
"W-Why are you h-here?" Her voice was timid and hoarse as if she was scared and dehydrated.
"I came here so I could save my boyfriend and my friends, if I didn't leave them and come here Tom said he would kill them all." The girl nodded and looked away from me.
"Why are you here?" She looked back at me and then shifted her gaze to her hands.
"I-I don't know. T-They took me away f-from my fam-family." She began to cry and I pulled her body into my embrace. At first she was tense but once she realised that I wasn't going to hurt her, she relaxed into my hold and sobbed into my chest.
"It's ok, everything's going to be ok." I cooed in her ear, attempting to calm the poor girl down.
"N-No it's n-not, they're s-still going to h-hurt me." She sobbed and my heart almost broke, who could hurt a poor defenceless girl?
"They won't hurt you, I promise. I won't let that happen. I won't let them hurt you, ok?"

A little while after I had made my oath to this girl I heard the click of the lock from upstairs and immediately the torch was switched off. Tom waltzed down the stairs carrying a lamp in his hand.
"You, come." The girl cowered back into my body at the harshness of his voice and made no attempt to follow him. This made Tom furious. He raised his fist to hit the girl but I moved her and took the blow myself. I glared at Tom from the floor and he glared back.
"Come on girl, unless you want to end up like your useless brother." Once again tears formed in her eyes and Tom grabbed her arm and began to walk out of the basement. No. I promised! I pushed my body off from the ground and picked up the girl, tearing her away from Tom, I pushed her back over to the safety of the pile of clothes and blocked Tom's path to her.
"Move Nicole." He hissed in anger.
"Never." I bit back. Tom took a step to the left and I mirrored his action.
"You can do whatever you want to me, but I will never let you touch her again." I spoke clearly to Tom. Again he didn't like my forwardness towards him and he slapped me across the face. My body fell to the floor from the force of the slap but I still managed to give a death glare to Tom. He turned on his heels and stalked away back up the staircase and before he shut the door I shouted,
"We need food and water down here if you're going to keep us locked down here!" The door slammed and locked and once again we were left in darkness.

I made my way over to the girl.
"Hey, are you alright? I didn't hurt you when I pushed you right?" The dimmed torch was turned on and the girl shook her head at me and then proceeded to climb onto my lap.
"Thank you Nicole." I smiled down at the girl I'm my lap and wrapped my arms around her fragile frame.
"It's ok. Hey, urm about what Tom said about your brother, what did he mean?" I questioned. She shifted around in my arms and them looked up at me hesitantly.
"H-He killed him, a-after I was taken." She stuttered, trying not to cry. She pushed herself closer to my body and held onto the collar of Niall's sports jersey.
"W-Where did you get your necklace from?" I looked down at my chest and realised that it had fallen on top of the jersey so it was visible. The girls small fingers played with the shiny pendant that hung around my neck.
"My boyfriend gave it to me, a sign of his everlasting love for me." I sighed and looked back down at the necklace wishing I was in Niall's arms, hugging him, kissing him and just being near him.
"That's weird, m-my brother had the exact s-same necklace." I froze as the little girl in my lap said this, however she was far too focused on the necklace to notice the sudden change of atmosphere. Could this be her? Could this be Elizabeth?
"W-What's your name again? I never got told." I asked in a shaky tone.
She girl peered up at me and smiled.
"My name is Elizabeth, Elizabeth Horan."