21. Flames Are More Than Fire

Gabriel's wings had caught fire. He pulled his good wing in, trying to keep it from the flames. His left wing dangled limply, the fire greedily growing up it as they consumed the feathers.
He pushed against the door; the metal burned his skin.
Gabriel glance around desperately. Smoke filled his lungs making him cough. The brackets on his wrist started to get hot the marks seemed to laugh at him as they turned bright red.
He stumbled away from the door. A jerk of pain through his leg made him fall to his knees.
The room was almost completely filled in smoke. Gabriel coughed, his lungs unable to get air making his head throb. He was finding it hard just to keep his eyes open. Horrible waves of pain moved through his body as it tried to heal itself.
He put on hand on the ground his body shaking as he coughed. His arm began to shake and he fell on his side. Slowly his vision blurred. Blackness creeped at the edges of his vision and for a brief moment the pain in his leg, wing, and aching in his lungs seemed to disappear in a small moment of bliss. And then everything faded away.

~~~~

Sam used his shoulder to push on the bar. The metal was hot and he could feel it through his jacket.
Dean was working on wearing the marks away but with one hand dangling limply it was going slow.
The lack of oxygen made it hard. "Sam, we need to get out of here. There's no point in trying to rescue someone who is most likely already dead," dean coughed.
Sam shot him a look, "Almost got it." He pushed harder. The metal made a screeching sound as it moved. Dean stopped working and joined Sam in pushing it. The adrenaline shooting through his body pushed away the pain in his arm.
The bar fell to the ground with a loud thud.
Sam kicked the door open. For a second he stared at the flames that had engulfed his apartment.
He entered with Dean right behind him.
Sam looked around for the Archangel. "Gabriel?"
"Gabriel?"
Sam coughed, his eyes were watering and burning making it even harder to see.
Blinking rapidly he moved forward. His eyes searched desperately. Finally his eyes landed on a burning wing.
Sam stumbled to Gabriel's side. "Gabriel!" He rolled the Archangel over. He leaned in closer and listened hoping to hear Gabriel breathing.
"Come on!" Dean yelled, he ran over and helped Sam pick Gabriel up.
"Wait! I have to get something!" Sam turned and headed in deeper into his apartment.
"Sam! Sam!" Dean glanced in the direction Sam had gone then back at Gabriel.
"Sam!"

~~~~

Dean's lungs couldn't get air. He coughed and gasped but he got nothing.
He ran down the stairs, struggling to support Gabriel who seemed to be half conscious but his eyes were closed and his body was limp.
He reached the third level before he nearly fainted.
By now people were trying to put out the fire.
Dean felt someone help him to his feet and take Gabriel.
For a few seconds he followed. Until he saw who it was.
Dean didn't even think; he pulled his arm back in a punch. "YOU SON OF A BITCH!!"
The force of the punch sent Gordan stumbling back.
"Sorry Dean but Sam refused to sell."
Dean could hardly contain his anger. Gordan looked around. "Where is Sam anyway?"
Dean lounged at Gordan. He tackled the the other man causing him to let go off Gabriel.
The metal in Gabriel's leg was pushed in further when he hit the ground; the pain pulled him back to full consciousness.
Dean slammed Gordan into a wall and punched him repeatedly completely forgetting the broken bones. He probably would have gone on and on if he hadn't heard the plaster above start to crack.
Dean threw Gordan to the floor and helped Gabriel up, letting him lean his weight on him. Gabriel gripped Dean's jacket tightly, his faced twisted in pain.
He lead Gabriel out, through the gathering crowd, and went over to Ruby and Samandriel. Chuck had joined them.
"Where's Sam?" Ruby asked.
Dean glanced back at the building. He lowered Gabriel to the ground and headed back to the building. "Are you completely insane? You're not going to walk out of there alive," Ruby called after him.
Dean ignored her and continued inside.