15. Eyes of the Past

Gabriel stared out at the houses and buildings and farms. It was all so beautiful.
He felt his heart clench when they went past a old hospital. It's walls crumbling but the paint new.
He still remembered it, during The Savage Contagion. It had been overrun. People everywhere. Pushing and pulling in a desperate wave to get to the front, to get help.
Gabriel turned away from the window. It was going to happen again. He had thought it was gone. But the disease was back.

~~~

Every pothole made the van lurch and jerk. Samandriel did his best to not get thrown around.
He hit his injured shoulder on the side of the van causing him to cry out.
The cut where his wing had once been started to bleed again.
He could feel a burning sensation move through his body. A bright light started to shine through his skin.
He fell back against the back of the truck. The bright light shining brighter, forcing him to close his eyes.

\|/~~flashback~~\|/

Samandriel shifted his weight to his other foot. His eyes watching the people around him.
The guards were keeping a careful eye on everyone.
A demon from somewhere else in the room started fighting, punching, kicking, screaming. While the guards were trying to get it under control Gabriel moved next to him.
"Samandriel." He hissed.
Samandriel turned to look at him. Gabriel had turned to show him that he had a small blade in his hand.
Samandriel's eyes widened. "Where did you get that?"
"Doesn't matter. Just turn."
"Why don't you let yourself out?"
"I'll be fine, now turn before they come back."
Samandriel turned so Gabriel could use the blade on the angelic marks on the chains.

\|/~~~~\|/

The light faded away to blackness. Samandriel opens his eyes. He couldn't see anything.
He couldn't see the sun shine through the cracks or even his own hand in front of his face.
He couldn't see anything.