0.0

Really triggering topics! Please no inappropriate comments! 

The lights flickered eerily as the girl walked down the carpeted steps of the wallpapered hall. She blinked in confusion, tucking a strand of flowing blonde hair behind her ear -- that had never happened before in the house she had been in for most of her life.

She didn't realise that it was some sort of sign: foreshadowing the darkness that was to come.

Instead she continued walking casually into the main room of the house where her father was sitting expectanly, waiting for her presence. It was their movie night and he had brought a selection of snacks from the kitchen to the couch. He recieved a smile from his daughter as she sat down next to him and nowadays, that meant everything to him.

"What film have you chosen?"

"The Purge."

"Which one?" 

"First."

"Good choice."

Margo Ross nodded in approval of the fantastic picture that they had seen before but loved to watch every once in a while. With a click of a button on the television remote, the oddly calming music of the opening sequence began to play contrastingly paired with video feeds of violence.

"Does it scare you that this could actually happen?" The woman asked her father.

"We could move." He shrugged in reply.

"You're assuming it wouldn't spread to the rest of the world?"

"Yes, it couldn't happen everywhere." He argued back lightly.

That was how their nights seemed to go: television and debates. They didn't really like to talk about real life anymore and although the father-daughter duo had massive amounts of love for each other they were both scared from previous events.

As the main characters in the film came onto the screen and began to speak, the storyline progressing with them -- a clear bang sounded from outside of the window. Both heads turned towards the source of the noise, Margo's quicker than her fathers.

"Odd." She commented trying to mask her unease.

"It must have been an animal." Her father shrugged it off. Of course, he got unnerved by things like that as well as his daughter {especially with their family history} but he didn't like to show it in front of the girl.

"Bloody big animal." She replied, very put off by the incident although she didn't know why exactly. The sound paired with the flickering lights in the hallway would not leave her mind and she just felt in her bones that something was wrong.

"Car." He offered an alternative explanation.

"I'll look."

Margo went to stand up wanting to ease her mind and settle her fears but her father insisted that she stayed where she was: it was probably nothing after all. She didn't like to refuse or bother him after everything he had been through, she didn't care that she had been through the same things too. She settled back into the soft fabric of the couch and watch the film but something just didn't feel right. She kept her thoughts to herself because she felt like she was exaggerating and the film played on until the sound from before had repeated itself. Louder and closer.