Hopeless Romantic

A/N: I just wanna dedicate this chappie to camilleeee_cke because she was so supportive! Thanks :)

Emily's POV

The room murmured in agreement and we all promptly settled on our shared sentiments: hating Alexander Steinfield's eyebrows off. "You know he told the press all about SCH on fire in order to make himself look important and caring for the school?" Matthew scowled. "Yeah, what a puffed-up, pretentious pain in the-" Jeremy was silenced by Amelia's glare. "You KNOW that anyone hearing this could be a child, right? No swearing. Honestly, what would the readers THINK?" He rolled his eyes. "Children nowadays are all corrupt anyways, a swear word won't make a difference."

Arthur sighed. "Still! Example for the youth, you know. But in all honesty," he added, "they've heard and probably said worse." There was a ripple of chuckles around the table. "Yeah, the debate club kids swear all the time, they could rival a sailor," Diane said, smiling to herself. Louis nodded, then shook his head and tutted. "Oh, stop that, you're worse!" She whacked him on the arm playfully, but probably harder than she intended, judging from Louis' wince. "Oh, are you okay?" He waved her away. "Yeah, I've been... Worse..."

Oooo... They're cute together- Now you're thinking like GWEN. Honestly. Stop spazzing. But look at them! I hid a grin. Jared eye's locked with mine, and I saw the same conclusion that I had jumped to conveyed to me. I smirked. Half smiling, he looked away and I continued to silently eat my food (which still felt odd, because I was eating spaghetti and sandwiches. Weird combo, much?). I didn't like the awkward silence that was smothering us. Uncomfortable... Why's everyone suddenly so quiet? I'd think they would have a lot to say... Argh, I'd better start a conversation again... 

Matthew's POV

I picked at my food. Not that it tasted AWFUL - it tasted like heaven melted down and solidified into mortal food - but the silence that hung over us like a bat was so thick that I could cut it (with difficulty) with a pair of scissors. Thankfully, Emily quickly changed the topic. "So anyway, this is totally random but if you all could... Uhh... Travel back in time, which year would you all visit?" Random indeed. "Definitely to the ancient Greeks time. Maybe two years before Socrates' death," Louis replied. "Same here," Diane quickly put in. "I'd go to the dinosaurs, I guess..." Jeremy admitted, causing us to laugh at the cliché answer.

"I'd like the Victorian era." Obviously Arthur would choose that... I forced back a laugh. "I would have never known," Amelia deadpanned. "But I would go to... Hmm... 1883. Age of the railway." A ripple of laughter around the table. "Yeap, definitely a History teacher," I chuckled. "Ugh, don't remind me. I'm planning to just teach trig..." Amelia feigned a headache. "But how about you, Emily?" Em bit her lip. "Maybe... Maybe seventeenth century Venice, I like the Renaissance..." Then everyone turned to me. "You?" Emily asked.

Oh. I didn't think of that... Uhh... UMM... "I guess... I guess... Four years back?" "Why four years? Why not the Vikings or something?" Because four years ago was when... Sarah was still next to me... Oh my GOD, it's like you always relate everything to either Sarah or Emily. You're a hopeless romantic, you know that? HOPELESS. "Because I'd like to change the past... You know... Stuff," I answered vaguely. To my relief, no one persisted to ask more questions, and we went back to small talk - the new town mayor and such. 

Emily's POV

The dinner progressed on, dragging further and further on into the night. This is starting to get boring... Everyone's talking about things that I don't know about and I'm feeling like I'm like a side effect. Maybe I should make an excuse to go home? That's RUDE. True... But we're not doing anything, and it's getting late. Almost midnight... I pointedly looked at my watch, then at Jared. Our eyes met, and I knew he got my message. He cleared his throat. "Ahh, well, it was fun today, thanks... But I think it's getting pretty late, so Em and I'll be taking our leave."

I tried not to absolutely run out. "See y'all tomorrow! Don't sleep too late, 'kay?" I waved at them, before clasping hands with Jared and walking out. "That was fun," he began, smiling down at me. "Yeah... Haven't seen them in ages." We walked in silence to the side of the road to catch a cab. "Well, they seem like an awesome bunch, you're lucky to have friends like them." He seemed wistful. "Why? What's wrong?" He sighed. "Just that I didn't really have that many friends around in the NYT. We all pretty much kept to ourselves, as you could see..."

I thought about that for a while. Well, they were really noisy and hectic and chaotic... But I didn't really see much collaboration other than going out to get info and interviewing people in a group. "Yes, that's quite true," I agreed after a moment. "But when I see your friends and colleagues all bonded and friendly with each other... Well... I just feel.... You know..." He grasped for words. "At a loss?" I suggested. "Yeah, that's it. At a loss. But," he shrugged, "it's okay, now that you're here." I didn't blush like usual. I thought I'd have a stronger reaction. Why not? 

Matthew's POV

I took my leave a while after the lovebirds disappeared. Alone in my car - after taking the keys back from Leia - on the highway, I watched as lights flashed by around me, all of them a blur. paid them no attention, focusing on the wheel stubbornly as my mind digested everything that had happened in the past three or so hours. So Jared apparently thinks the world of Emily, and- Wait. Aren't you going to reflect on why you had to think about Sarah yet AGAIN? A bit cliché, don't you think? Always reflecting upon the girl that got away etc... 

I scowled and exhaled deeply. Well, I can't HELP but regret that I didn't react differently. I could have, I don't know, gotten married or something by now! But I'm still where I was four years back. At least I don't spite Jared or something... But again, not like I have a chance. But what if you do? Hah, yeah, right. I rolled my eyes and tried to block out the voices in my head that were arguing. God, stop being such a BUZZKILL. Be more positive for once! Says the one that is such a wet blanket all the time! Can't I complain and wallow in a puddle of self-pity for once?!

No, you can't, because you've been wallowing in that puddle for FOUR FREAKIN' YEARS. Now wake up and stop being a whiny, annoying idiot! I am NOT whiny and annoying- "Shut UP, me," I snapped out loud. Unfortunately, the war raged on internally. Just let go of the past and focus on where you're going in life. Do you even have a direction? 'Just let go of the past'? That is the most unhelpful piece of advice ever. Of course I have a direction in life! Pray tell. Uh... Okay, fine, I don't. So what? I'll find it sooner or later. Mmhmm. Sure.

A/N: Sorry, I haven't updated in ages! Argh... But on the bright side, I can update more nowadays because I finally got my own laptop so I don't have to fight for the computer~ Yay... On the not-so-bright-side, school starting and I won't have as much time to update because I'm living in the dorms and I only have around 2 hours of free time a day and that's for doing homework... Plus I have to focus on studies. I thank you for your cooperation!

Love,

Mel