Toppling Down

A/N: As per requested by @josephphpps, this is Chapter Eighteen~

Matthew's POV

I scowled at the calendar. It's nearly exams. Urgh... I have to do so much! Prep the papers, teach the kids... Only one week left to go! How does time pass so fast?! I sighed and kicked back in my chair, twirling a pen thoughtfully. Hmm, Bio is in ten minutes with 9R for one and a half hours, then a one period break, and another one hour with 8L, and finally three periods with 4R... So tiring... I got up and stretched a little, then picked to laptop up and strode off.

"Good morning, 9R!" I called out in a show of cheerfulness. "Good morning, Mr Harper," came the tired and flat response. The stress is really taking its toll on them, huh? Poor things! "Alright, sit down... Today, we will be going out to the school Eco-garden to get samples of the algae in the pond to study under the microscopes!" I announced, to some halfhearted cheers. Odd, they usually love going out to get samples...

I led them down to level two, making sure they carried their sample jars with them. I had specially ordered them by myself for the kids. True, I really didn't need to, but hey, I'd do anything for them! Not EVERYTHING... When they were out in the fresh air, though, the students seemed to liven up and could manage an excited chatter. Will wonders never cease! Nature always brightens up anyone's day, especially on a beautiful day like this!

Emily's POV

Stupid, stupid, STUPID! I left the laptop downstairs! Now I have to go down to get it... I dashed back down the stairs, nearly tripping over my feet in my hurry. Flinging the Staff Room door open, I snatched up my bag, lying on the table, and bolted back out to the lift. Excerise just had to wait. Hurry up, PLEASE... Urgh, I will be late for my class with 3R! Thankfully, the lift arrived and I was brought up (SLOWLY) to level seven. I keep forgetting my laptop or my bag ALL. THE. TIME.

I attempted a casual walk into the classroom. The small Foundation English class ceased their endless chatter and stood. "Sit, sit, we don't have TIME. Examinations are in a week, take out your copy of Romeo and Juliet..." I pulled out the worn booklet and waited impatiently for them to settle down. "Now, I want you to silently read - SILENTLY, mind you - the last act, and we'll go through it in fifteen minutes, then I'll prep you on your essay writing," I said a little distractedly.

The ten or so heads bowed over the books, lips moving silently, forming the unknown words over and over. I busied myself with some small, unimportant task at the table, but kept alert. Teachers' Retreat cancelled. This proves that Alexander Steinfield is an even bigger moron than I thought. According to Matthew, Teachers' Retreat is supposed to be awesome, and now Steinfield is taking that away? What an evil idiot! I'd wring his guts if I could...

This Time Skip is brought to you by TheEvilAuthor!

Matthew's POV

The phone buzzed. Urgh, more spam, I'm getting irritated by HOW MUCH the kids can talk! I'd better check it though... I clicked the phone on and tapped on the messages filling my phone.

Elizabetha Jones: MR HARPER! HELP! Ms Emily has fainted!

Olivia Skai: Quick! We're at the staircase outside our classroom, at the level six landing!

Elizabetha Jones: Hurry! Her breathing is getting weaker! Please!

I gasped and checked the time. One minute since the message! I threw my phone into my pocket and tore down the corridor. I'm at level five, thank God! Hang in there, Emily, I'm coming! I took up the stairs two steps at a time, turning a corner, then pounding up more stairs. There! A concerned, half-dying of shock and fear group was protecting the unseen body of my colleague. Elizabetha and Olivia turned.

"Thank God, Mr Harper! You read the messages in time!" Olivia said, tumbling over her words. "Where is she?" I demanded, breathless. "There," Elizabetha replied. They parted to let me through... And what a sight! Emily's usually glowing face was drawn and pale, and her lips almost matched her skin tone. Her eyes we're closed, and her breathing was shallow. "She said that she felt dizzy, then stopped, and stumbled to the ground," Victoria added.

I knelt down next to her and felt her pulse. At first: nothing. After a moment of panic, I felt a faint, steady flutter. There's still hope! I tried chest compressions. Nothing. "How long has she been out?" I asked. "Umm, about two minutes, maybe?" Tyler suggested. Two minutes? THAT LONG? "Call an ambulance!" I ordered. They stood around, a little stunned. "CALL AN AMBULANCE!" I yelled, springing them into action.

"Emily? Emily? Can you hear me?" I whispered over her limp body. You can't be dead! No, no, she's not... There's still breathing. And a pulse. Come on, Emily! I continued a steady compression. Nothing. Finally, I had to do heart compressions. Zilch. Nothing would work! Oh, what the heck! I tried mouth-to-mouth. The cliche 'reviving kiss'... DIDN'T WORK EITHER. Figures. It only works if someone is drowning. Idiot. I was foolish to think that it would really work! Where is the ambulance?

Emily's POV (earlier)

I was leading 9R up from their lunch break, when I experienced a nagging headache. Probably nothing... I get headaches all the time. It'll go away soon. I started up the stairs. Why is everything suddenly blurry? White spots started to dot my vision, clouding over. Am I going blind? Oh no, not NOW! Just keep going... I hurried up the stairs, the surroundings fogging up around me... Until my entire vision went white. I muttered, "So... dizzy..." and took a few stumbling steps.

My head throbbed painfully and I dropped my bag on the ground, wincing. I could vaguely hear a voice shriek, "MS EMILY!" but I was already slowly toppling to the ground...

A/N: I love cliffies. Don't you?