Young Love

Listen to the video above :D Important A/N at the bottom, please read!

Emily's POV

The boxes had been packed already, when I went into the bedroom. Huh? What? Who... Oh. I could have done it myself, that little... Oh well. Hey, be grateful that he cares for you! Go thank him. "Jared, did you do this?" I asked, not turning around. I could almost FEEL his smirk. "I'd say I did... But no, I didn't. It was Gwen and Lara," he confessed. They would do this for me? Oh wow! But wait... "How did they even get in here?" I demanded, spinning around. "Uhh... Well... I may have given them the key?"

Oh no! They shouldn't have come! I don't want them to come in here! But they did! JARED I WILL MURDER YOU! You're being irrational. They cared enough to pack up ALL your stuff, you know. You're so ungrateful. And don't get mad at Jared! He was only trying to help you, and he even stayed with you at the hospital! Ugh, true... I sighed, looking at him with an affectionate but annoyed face. "Thanks for sending me back and staying with me," I said softly. He smiled back at me. "It was the least I could do for you."

My bursting heart melted on the spot, but I restrained myself from doing anything rash, and sat on the bed. The ceiling fan whirred quietly in the background as I stared around the room. The closet, its doors flung open, was void of any remaining clothes. The desk was bare, and the curtains were tied up. I looked past Jared and into the empty kitchenette and toilet. Everything was silent, everything was gone, only to be replaced by cardboard boxes. My entire, short, blissful life in Manhattan was inside flimsy containers, ready to be shipped back home.

Matthew's POV

"They're doing an article?" I felt hollow. So she didn't come back to visit us? Just to... To throw in our faces that she has a new life without us now? She doesn't care about me, does she? I'm nothing compared to... whatever that guy's name is. Oh, Jared. Yes. Mr Perfect. I'll never be up to her standards. "Yes! Isn't that fantastic? Em's back and we're going to get publicity for once!" I wish Amelia's enthusiasm would rub off on me. She doesn't get it. No one does. No one will. I smiled weakly.

"Well, I should go now. Next class is in five minutes. Lunch tomorrow?" I nodded. "Definitely," I replied, mouth dry. Amelia beamed at me, before going off. I slumped in my seat. No one understands. Not even me. I'm not wanted, am I? Not by my pupils. Hell, Emily probably doesn't care about me, now that she's all set up in life. Me? I'm just drifting around. Nothing to anchor me to a spot. What's my meaning in life? Okay, HOLD UP. You're just so melodramatic now. Just stop! It's meaningless. Yeah, meaningless like my nonexistent LIFE. I want to just die now. Just leave.

I opened up my laptop, not really paying attention to anything around me as I blindly typed out my password. The screen's information wasn't registering in my head. I felt numb; my heart felt heavy. The laptop screen blinked. The keyboard felt almost foreign under my fingers. Why? Why does this always lead to pain? Is life just out to wreck my feelings? I don't even know or care anymore. What does death feel like? Excruciating pain? Calming? I clicked on a file that I was working on, but I didn't feel like doing anything. I didn't know what I was going to do.

Emily's POV

The knock on the door was like a tight slap to the face, like a lightbulb in my head. I started at the sound. "That should be the landlady," Jared remarked, stepping to the side to allow me space. I walked out through the doorway - my arm brushed his chest and I nearly jumped - to open the door. The old lady smiled toothlessly at me, before hobbling in. "So you're going to leave New York?" she asked in a quavering voice. "Oh, yes, for about a month or so," I replied, busying myself with the task of making tea with no tea sachets. 

I found them in a box on the counter and started boiling water. "Tea?" The landlady nodded, looking frail in her old shawl. Jared wordlessly helped her to the couch. I dipped the sachets into the cups, watching the water turn golden-brown. I took out the milk and attempted to balance everything on my arms. Jared raced over and grabbed the teapot, averting disaster. "Thanks... And here we go!" I laid everything on the coffee table and politely poured our guest a cup of tea. "Sugar?" "Yes, two sugars."

She drank a gulp slowly. "Ahh, yes. I'm here to just confirm that you're leaving," she announced, setting down the teacup. "Well, I'm leaving for sure... Medical reasons." I awkwardly stood beside her. "And we're writing an article on the school too, while we're at it," Jared added helpfully. "Oh, WE? Ahh, young love," she crowed, making me blush. Jared merely smirked at me, almost causing me to spit out my tea. "Shut up," I muttered to him. 

Matthew's POV

"Uhh... Mr Harper?" A voice woke me up from my realm of thoughts. "Huh? Oh yes, what is it, Joseph?" I looked up from my hands. "Umm, 9R wanted to ask if they could hold the Science Fair at the hall instead of the auditorium? 'Cause the hall is just the right temperature for some of our projects, while the downstairs auditorium is too cold..." I slapped on a smile. "Ahh, that wasn't decided by me. I'm afraid you'll have to ask Mr Steinfield for that... But if you like I'll help you ask too."

He nodded awkwardly and darted away after muttering a "Thank you". I let my face drop into my hands again. I could feel my head throbbing and my heart beating, the rhythm steady in the empty husk of a body that I resided in. I felt almost saintlike, for some obscure, sadistic, ironic reason. My entire being felt lighter than air. I was floating through my memories and subconscious. What if she comes back with... with THAT GUY? That lucky guy who took her? What will I do?

I closed my eyes. I can't show him any hostility or Emily will be lost even more than she already is. I must be civil. Treat him like an old friend. Be calm. I cannot do anything stupid. But... But that's easy than how I'll have to treat Em. Em... Emmy? The Emmy Awards? Makes sense. She's as precious, as coveted as the Awards. Emmy. Yes, that suits her. But how to act around her? I clenched my fists, then got up. I walked to the back of the Staff Room, where a hidden staircase that only teachers used lay. I closed the door to the stairwell. I was alone. A tear fell onto the cement. And another. And another.

A/N: This is the last chapter before I go on my hiatus. I'm sorry to let you all wait for the next chapter. So I just want to say one thing: I will come back with better ideas, maybe I'll be a better person. I love you all. And I promise I will be back and upload more frequently!