New Start

Emily's POV

"Okay class, I am Ms Emily," I started, writing my name on the board. "I will be your English teacher this year, I hope we can work well together and have a great year, alright?" I was met with silence when I realised that I did not exactly seem as stern as I hoped I was. Time to bring them back to reality: I would NOT be pushed about.

"Let me tell you something about myself. I absolutely detest sloppy work and laziness," I declared matter-of-factly, staring at each and everyone of them. NOW they actually sit up and listen. Wow. "I will NOT accept any silly excuses for not handing in work. No tuition, parents' homework, NOTHING. It is your responsibility to finish all my assignments. Not done? Get out of my class."

My students were still silent. Ahh. Now they understand. "I do not tolerate anyone who talks back or does not pay attention during my lessons with you. Same treatment to everyone. These are simple expectations; I know you all can behave," I continued. "I'll try to make lessons interesting for all of you, so if everyone behaves, we can all enjoy ourselves without any fuss, okay? I won't give too much homework either, if I can. So I expect the best of all of you. Do I make myself clear?" I asked, putting on a gentle (hopefully) smile.

"Yes, Miss Fox," they chorused back. "Good! Mr Harper, do you have anything to add?" I turned to face him. "Well, not really. I just hope you all can do the same in my lesson. Oh, and one word of warning, I'm a very weird teacher. I don't really follow conventional rules... so my lessons will be kinda different," he explained. Well, I can see that from your clothing. Really? Sandals, track pants and a marathon shirt? I thought dryly. 

Matthew's POV

I grinned at the students. "So, let's play a short game! Me and Ms Fox-" "I. Not me," she interrupted amidst the chortles of the kids. "Fine, Ms Fox and I will call out names from the attendance list," I stressed on the I and waved the roster, "And the person called must say something about him or her. Is that okay?" I was met with loud agreement. 

Emily took the list. "Natalie Lemon?" A girl with dark hair stood up. "Umm, well, I... Dog-lover?" she stammered sheepishly. "Alright! Dogs! High five!" I walked over and high-fived her. "Charis Skai," Emily stated. A tall girl with a high ponytail raised a hand. "I have a sister," she said, pointing at a similar-looking girl in braids in front of her. "I'm Olivia," she piped up. "I have a sister too! High fi-" "Mr Harper, please..." All the students laughed at Emily's statement. 

I laughed along with them but high-fived them both anyway. "Joseph Kirkland!" A boy with spiky hair stood up. "My mom is the vice principal of this school," he admitted in a vaguely British accent. "Then I'll be expecting quality work, Joseph," I joked. "Why..." he whined dramatically. Good, at least this class has a sense of humour!

Emily's POV

Matthew took the roster and called out, "William John Smith?" Wow, what a CREATIVE name! A boy with a dazed expression stood. "I like computer games," he announced in a much-too-loud voice. Sheesh, pipe it down, would ya?! "That's nice..." I muttered, hoping that it didn't sound as sarcastic as I meant it to be. Thankfully, no one seemed to hear, and we kept on calling out names, to receive some hilarious replies, some utterly boring ones and some... very unique ones as well.

Finally, I said the last name, "Tyler Patterson!" A boy of medium height and tanned skin got up. "I like swimming... I want to participate in the Olympics," he revealed. "You can do it, Tyler," I encouraged. "Yeah, you can!" Natalie yelled from the other side of the class. "OOOOOOOOOH!" the class whooped. Matthew chortled, to my slight disapproval. Seriously, this guy is WAY too immature. I have no idea how I can work with him. "Alright, settle down 9R..." The hoots died down. At least this year will be interesting. These kids can actually see hints.

This time skip is brought to you by David Tennant and the TARDIS! 

Matthew's POV

The class this year seems really cool for a bunch of kids. I mused as I carted my bag down the stairs on my way to the Staff Room. And all the new teachers seem nice. Just as quickly as that thought came, I bumped into one of my good friends, Amelia. "Hey, Emmy," I teased, knowing she hated the nickname. "Shut up, Mattie," she grumbled. "Yes, Ms Laurister," I whimpered in mock respect. 

"Is the group going out?" I asked as we trotted down the stairs together. "Of course! Hey, I've been thinking of inviting Emily, our new colleague. She's teaching your class too, right?" I nodded. "Yeah, she's alright. Quite strict with the kids," I laughed. "That'll be a change. We need refreshing conversation," she replied cheerfully. "I'll text her," I offered. "Who did you get it from?" Amelia questioned, smirking at me. 

"Oi, don't think like that. I'm not like that! I got it from Mrs Kirkland..." I muttered, before pulling out a phone and choosing 'Messaging'.

Emily's POV (same time)

 "But Mr Pomeroy, you can't just say that we don't exist while we sleep, when no one is watching as that's ridiculous!" I argued heatedly. "No it isn't! The object, in this case, the person, only exists when something is there to see it, look at Descartes and Locke and Leibniz!" he protested. This French guy really knows how to argue. FINALLY someone knows what he - or she - is talking about. 

"How about atoms? And if we were to believe your statement, then we STILL exist! God watches over us when we sleep! And-" I stopped mid-sentence when I realised my phone was vibrating. "Sorry, this will only take a minute," I apologised and clicked the message. What? Matthew? Why is he texting me? 

Matthew Harper: Do you want to go out for lunch with me, Amelia, Jenna, Arthur and Jeremy?

I was slightly shocked. ME? Aren't these the 'Famous Five' everyone's been joking about? Well, I don't have anything free, do I?

You: Yeah, sure. Where do I meet you guys?

His message buzzed back almost immediately. He knew what I was going to reply, didn't he...

Matthew Harper: Yay~ Outside the Staff Room, we're all there...

You: Oh, I'll be there in a minute... 

I bade goodbye to Louis and dashed down the stairs. Interesting. Wonder what they will be like?

A/N: HOORAY! How will Emily react to the Famous Five?

Matthew: Hey, we're awesome!

Emily: Shut it, Matthew -.-

Amelia: Yeah, shut up Mattie!

Jenna: Emmy, be nice!

Arthur: I say, let's have a cup of tea...

Jeremy: God, Art, stop British-ing...

Arthur: Come on, Jeremy, I'm sure EmEmWolfie would like some, won't you, love?

Em: Don't call me 'love', Art. And Jeremy, British-ing is fine, wot. And golly, I love tea!

A/N: Ciao! R & R, tell me what you want the FF to be like! EmEmWolfie, signing off (for now...)