Confusion

Listen to the video above :D Important A/N at the bottom, please read...

Emily's POV

I could feel tingling numbness in my leg as I took a tentative step forwards. Wincing, I slapped my leg a bit. I seethed a little. "Hey, hey, are you okay?" Jared grabbed my arm and I felt a lightning strike jolt through my body. "I'm fine, I'm fine... My leg's just asleep." I tried to walk without limping and grasped my bag at the side of the room, ready to go. "You should change into your normal clothes; they're more comfortable than the hospital gown, I think..." He fussed over the bag, pulling out some clothes.

"If you say so," I submissively agreed, before taking the bundle of fabric he passed to me. "Change. Now. Toilet." He glared at me sternly, pointing to the washroom. I trudged to the appointed destination, and turned the lock on the door. It confirmed my privacy with a click. I pulled off the plastic-feeling fabric and slid into my usual garb with some relief. I turned and looked at my reflection. Jared didn't have bad fashion sense for a guy - the outfit he helped me pick was pretty good. I adjusted my shirt and opened the door.

I crumpled the gown into a ball and threw it to the side as I strode out of the cubicle, feeling as if something heavy had been lifted off my shoulders. "And the old Emily is back!" Jared cheered when I walked into view. "When did I ever leave?" I teased, combing my hair with my fingers absentmindedly. "You were always in my heart," he replied. I groaned and rolled my eyes. "That was so cheesy! Could you have said anything more cliche?" He smirked. "I know you love it..." What. An. Idiot. Oh please. Says the one.

Matthew's POV

I couldn't hide or stop the smile that was threatening to split my face in half as I read the message over and over again. Oh, my GOD! She is coming back! Em's coming back, Em's coming back... Calm down, you have to wonder WHY she's coming back. What if she's only back because she was forced to or something? That struck me hard. Yeah... What if she actually doesn't WANT to come back? I felt the smile fade away, along with the exhilaration bubbling up inside of me. What if she's grown tired of us already?

"Mr Harper! MH! Umm... A little help here?" I looked up from the screen that I wasn't even reading comprehendingly. "What's the matter?" I asked as I walked over, brow furrowing. "Well, I don't think it's supposed to bubble up like this? It's supposed to stay flat and not... Uhh... Overreact like this?" I peered at the solution that was, indeed, half-exploding in the Erlenmeyer flask. "Well... I'm not a chemistry teacher, so I can't exactly confirm that I'll be correct per say. Why don't you run upstairs and ask... Hmm... Mr Jeremy Coy?" I suggested.

"Oh... Okay, thanks," Olivia said cheerfully, before dashing out the door. "So what are you all trying to do, exactly?" I asked, picking up their notes on the table that was written in neat handwriting. "Umm... Titration?" Elizabetha offered. "How on earth did you get BUBBLES?" I demanded, trying not to laugh at the absurdity of the situation. "Not sure... I think it's 'cause we added something wrong..." Charis admitted. I picked up the container of sodium hydroxide... Or should I say, calcium chloride. "Someone switched the labels," I remarked, trying not the laugh again.

Emily's POV

I was mothered over by my overprotective boyfriend, even when I had gotten home safely and completely untouched. Obviously, certain objections were raised by yours truly. "Jared, you drove slowly for the entire journey and almost caused a traffic jam. I'm not made of GLASS! I can walk by myself perfectly fine and-" He interrupted me mid-sentence. "Em, you just came home from the HOSPITAL and you're at risk of fainting! That's what that Doctor Jensen or something said! You need to take it easy and it's my responsibility to take care of you!" he insisted. 

I feigned irritation. I'm dying... Can he stop being so adorable? Honestly, calm down and stop being so love struck. "I'm independent too, you know," I grumbled half-heartedly, before walking up the narrow, winding steps of my apartment. He sighed and looked down at the stained, washed-out carpeted floor. "Alright, alright, if that's what makes you happy," he surrendered. I hid a smile and stayed silent as he almost instinctively reached out for my arm, before pulling his hand away. 

I unlocked the door, wanting to start packing. The living room stayed quiet and untouched. The warm beams that used to stream in was replaced by gloomy, pale, cold light, hidden by the grey clouds rolling through the sky. Dust. It billowed in the darkened room. A break in the clouds. A thin sliver of silver shone onto the wooden floor, illuminating the particles. I felt my heart grow heavy. I didn't want to leave Manhattan, to be honest. I loved the place, although I hadn't stayed for long. But I still pined for Silver Creek. And I was confused. 

Matthew's POV

I brought the kids upstairs and led the next few teams downstairs. Waited around for about twenty minutes, brought THEM upstairs. Repeat. And repeat. Once the lesson ended, I was already bored out of my mind and struggling not to reach out to my phone and text Emily. To my utter relief, my next period was a free period and I had an hour to mark worksheets and relax. I trudged to the Staff Room, carrying my laptop, and flopped into my comfortable chair, plopping my stuff on a spot of light brown in the wave of messiness. 

"Hey, Matthew, did you hear that Steinfield's going to bring in a bunch of reporters to write some sort of article about the school?" Amelia rolled over on her chair. "Why? We're just Silver Creek. If they wanted to interview a school, they should go to Maple Park Academy..." Maple Park was a prestigious school in the next town over, and one of our main competitors. Silver Creek High wasn't exactly anything special in the eyes of the public and the media. Unless we've done something wrong?

"Well, apparently, they offered to write something nice about us, and introduce to the world the good things about SCH," Amelia replied, leaning in closer, as if telling a secret. "What do you mean 'the world'? Where are they from?" I asked, tilting my head to the side, intrigued. "They're from the New York Times, Mattie! A world-famous newspaper! They're coming to SILVER CREEK! And guess what else I heard?" I raised an eyebrow, heart already knowing what she was going to say. "Emily's in charge of the reporters. And she really, TRULY, is coming back!"

A/N: Well, this is the FIFTIETH CHAPTER. 50. 50. The big number. And I have a bunch of things to say! First off, please follow my writing account on Instagram at @ememwolfie for spoilers and behind the scenes stuff! Hahaha, that's not very important. Second, I've given IRL Emily an edited version of ADJMS. *screams* I'm freaking out and I'm scared she'll find out who she is! I mean, even IRL Matthew is becoming self-aware! *screams louder* 

Next, I want to share with you all why I wrote this book. At first, it was more of a relaxation thing, something to pass the time. Then, I started fully focusing on it. Now? I'm planning to  take it to the next level and try to publish it. *throws streamers everywhere* But of course, there are backstories and stuff. I'll probably share the full BTS action in another A/N, like the planning process and stuff.

Finally, I want to thank everyone for helping and inspiring me to write. I want to thank you all for the votes, the reviews, the comments, the reads and the encouragements. I honestly didn't think I would get it till here. To let you all in on something, I was only planning to stop at Chapter 30. But evidently, I'm not done with this project yet! Of course, I've something up my sleeve. I will be posting a spoiler on my Wattpad comment wall page on my profile in a few hours. If you want to see it, check it out :)

Love, EmEmWolfie