Defiance

Listen to the video above :D

Emily's POV

I smiled weakly as Jared materialised in the doorway, clutching a bouquet of flowers. I could make out roses, baby's breath and carnations. "Hey, love. How're you feeling today?" he asked with a concerned look on his face. "I'm fine, just peachy," I replied warmly, trying to smile wider to convince him that I really was alright. He looked a little skeptical but nodded anyway. "So, feeling any difference? Did the doctors say anything?" I shook my head. "No, they've been quiet for a while..." 

Jared raised an eyebrow, before suddenly darting out of the door to grab a passing nurse. "Could you bring Doctor Jensen? No, everything's fine, we just want to talk... Ahh, okay, thanks." He stepped back inside, an insufferable yet endearing smirk on his face. "We'll find out soon now," he announced a little unnecessarily. "You..." I shook my head, trying not to smile. He grinned at me. "Yes? I know I'm amazing..." I rolled my eyes. "Conceited narcissist." He feigned a shocked expression. "I'm a what?" 

Just then, my doctor stepped into the ward, carrying a clipboard. He was looking harried. "Ah, Doctor Jensen, I presume?" Jared looked at him. "Yes... Well, you are here to ask about Ms Fox's health, no? Ahh, well, she is doing well, doing very well indeed... Her health is still in good condition. However, she is still quite overworked, and my team and I are concerned that she may have another fainting spell. So, we'd like to look into her case a while longer and we'll come to a decision." Wait. Why? What's wrong with me?

Matthew's POV

I walked, drooping a little, into the meeting room. Around eight or so other colleagues were already there, talking. "Hi, Mattie!" Amelia called out. I grinned and walked over to her and Jeremy. "Where's Arthur?" I asked. "He immediately took medical leave once he realised that there was a meeting with Alexander today," she snorted, shaking her head. "I think he's playing that new game or whatever he's been going crazy about. DOTA, isn't it?" Arthur rolled his eyes. "Hey, DOTA is fun... League is still the best, though." I beamed.

"Ugh, gamers," Amelia complained playfully. "Why... Gaming is fun!" I gasped dramatically, defending my pastime. "Yeah... If you have nothing better to do. Maybe you'd mark stuff faster if you all weren't so obsessed with gaming away on your TVs and computers. Don't think I haven't seen your games downloaded on your laptops," she shot back. I raised a hand submissively. "True, that." She smirked. "I'm always true, Matthew. You should know..." Oooo, that rhymed! Is that seriously all you could think of?

I sighed again theatrically. "Well, we should go sit down where Steinfield can't see us half-asleep," Arthur suggested. "He figured out our secrets and removed all the curtains! Now we can't hide our faces," I said grumpily, pointing out the bright sunlight shining through the expansive windows. "Ah, darn it. Uhh... How about we just stare at him until he gets uncomfortable and leaves?" Amelia joked. "That's a good idea. Better than Steinfield's," Arthur remarked to no one in particular.

Emily's POV

I drummed my fingers on my blanket a little impatiently. Doctor Jensen promised to get back to us by five. I stared at the clock, displaying four-thirty. "Em? I brought Lara and Gwen..." Jared poked his head in, grinning at me. I held back a smirk. "Let 'em in..." My colleagues ran into the room. "Oh, my God, girl, you have worked way too hard! You made us so worried! Your dear boyfriend was freaking out all over the place!" Gwen shrieked, pretending to hit me. He... He really does care, huh?

"Well... We missed you a lot, Em. Maybe you should take a longer break? I'm sure the editor won't mind one of his best journalists taking a week or two off," Lara offered optimistically. I shook my head. "No way, you KNOW how he's like. He's always too demanding. And I'm not one of the best..." I insisted. "Oh yes, you are! And everyone knows it! Have you READ the articles coming out of the office? Horrible. You're the one that pulls us up!" Gwen declared, waving a crumpled issue in front of my face. 

"Sorry, Ms Fox, am I interrupting?" Doctor Jensen peered into the ward. "Oh, no, we're just leaving!" Lara grabbed Gwen and pulled her out after waving at me. "So... Ms Fox, you moved over to here from... Silver Creek, right? Used to be a teacher... Got a job offer at the New York Times and moved over. Is that correct?" I nodded. I had already told him this. "We believe that the best way for you to recover is perhaps for you to take a month long rest from all work. Take a break. And you should go back to Silver Creek."

Matthew's POV

"So today, we're going to see how my idea I suggested two weeks back has already been put into place!" Steinfield announced. Ugh... 'My' idea? That wasn't YOUR idea. Stop claiming credit for everything! A ripple of disgruntled agreement ran through the assembled. "So, the idea of cutting recess breaks has been experimented on classes 9R, 5L and 4T..." Huh? 9R? So that's why they've been complaining about their cut lunch breaks... Why did he choose his OWN PHYSICS STUDENTS? This is outrageous!

"They've been learning to assemble faster, and I think it's worked just as I planned. We should use this on the other classes-" "No." I surprised myself by standing up. "Uhh... I mean... I don't think we should. The... The students aren't happy with this arrangement. We should take into consideration what the pupils feel," I found myself saying calmly. "Well, I don't see them complaining or going into revolt," Steinfield insisted. I stared back at him, keeping my face impassive and not letting my anxiety shine through. 

"They don't say it in front of you, sir, but they do say it among themselves. I should know... I'm 9R's Biology teacher and I have seen them talk... They do not like this arrangement," I explained slowly. To my embarrassment and slight exhilaration, the rest started murmuring agreement. Steinfield frowned at me. Why is he so harsh on the students? Heh, serves him right. You shouldn't have stood up! Sit down! SIT DOWN, YOU MORON! I forced back a smile. "I don't think we should continue this." And I returned his gaze with a rebellious glare. 

A/N: Whee... Mattie speaks up. Will #TeamComeback happen?!?!?!?!?! :D