~*~

Anna shoots at the mutated canines quickly and feverishly as they charge towards her. She stands her ground and shoots a few dead but more still come running. A rather large and bulky mutated dog makes it's way towards Anna and she aims her gun and pulls the trigger, only to find out that her magazine is empty. Her eyes widen in panic as the canine tackles her to the ground, winding her. All the air leaves her lungs and before she knows it, the dog's deathly jaws are snapping at her face.

The dog barks loudly with a hungry look in its eyes as it struggles to get closer. Showing off it's jagged, misplaced teeth. Anna can't help but sob in fear as she uses her arms to hold back the massive animal from biting her head off her neck.

Nila! Nila!"

"What are you doing?! Turn back and help her!"

"Quick! Before the whole mission fails!"

Not even ten seconds have passed and Nila tries to block out her friend's cries and demands but guilt eventually gets the better of her. If Anna dies, so does everyone else and the trial will end. This last trial determines whether or not they go to Earth and as much as Nila despises Anna for her choices, she can't risk letting the rest of the group down for petty revenge.

"I know, I know. I'm going!" Nila yells at her teammates in frustration and redraws her pistol.

Nila takes a few hurried steps towards Anna and aims her gun. She shoots once, it's a miss. The bullet lands beside the animal's leg on the ground and the canine looks up at Nila, agitated. It growls and bares its teeth but goes back to trying to take a bite out of her teammate.

"Dammit," Nila mutters through gritted teeth and aims again.

The bullet clips the shoulder of the mutated dog and gains its attention. It barks and readies itself to make a run at Nila. Meanwhile, Anna makes a huge mistake by trying to slip away while the animal was distracted but of course, it notices and sinks its razor sharp teeth into one of Anna's ankles to drag her back. Anna cries out.

"That's not good," Nila thinks and she calms herself down. She takes in a few deep breaths and blocks out the rest of the world, focusing only at the target at hand.

Nila shoots a third time and the bullet ends up making a glancing wound off the vicious dog's hard as stone skull. It shrieks in pain and staggers away from Anna. Once it gains back its balance, the dog sprints towards Nila. Nila's heart beats a million miles per hour as her target speeds towards her and she lets the rest of her bullets fly in a panicked frenzy.

However, just as it seemed that the mission would be a failure once again, the mutated canine lets out a pained yelp and falls as it runs and skids towards her feet, blood oozing from one of its eyes. Nila holds in her breath in terror as the canine lays directly in front of her, unmoving. She kicks it with her foot but it still lies motionless. Nila lets out a long sigh of relief and looks around to see that the rest of the pack are running back to the safety of the forest. Howls echo throughout the forest as the dogs realise that they are no match for these new intruders.

Beads of sweat trickle down her forehead and ooze into her eyes, blurring her vision. Nila wipes the back of her hand across her face to once again have the gift of sight and is met with Anna, wearing a look of bitter disapproval. Kaitlyn and Riley immediately rush over to Anna's side to help her up though it proves to be quite a struggle. Anna's ankle has been severely mauled by the creature and she's already lost a lot of blood. Nila, stricken with guilt of what she has done, walks over to help the others get Anna off of the ground but gets weakly shoved away.

"What? Now you want to help? You left me there!" yells Anna, with a furious expression, puddles of sweat also pooling up around her hair and lip line.