Chapter 1

____________________________________________________________

Old Earth History 101

Class OEH1

Page 12

As a result of the unprecedented global crisis, governments across the globe did not invest in the technology required for terraforming Mars. Terraforming called for transforming Mars' atmosphere to become habitable for sustaining life without human intervention through warming the planet.

Frozen carbon dioxide reservoirs that had been discovered on Mars' surface pointed to the possibility of terraforming the planet through melting these reservoirs by inducing a 'global warming' effect. How would this melting have been achieved? Through a magnetic field generator built to deflect solar particles and heat from the sun onto Mars.

Another viable solution was mining and burning carbon-rich minerals from the ground, however, the few mines established by Mars' fifth First in Command; Arnold Dale Harmon, were quick to fall victim to Mars' frequent violent earthquakes – posing a dire health risk to miners and thus, were abandoned.

Mars' 37th First in Command; Rosalia Maree Harmon, opted for an alternative route to ensuring the acquirement of a future as similar to humanity's past as possible – sending five young, brave scientists on a one-way trip to scope the nature of Earth, settle and be the first of many to come to redevelop civilization. Against all odds, communication was successfully received from the team to Mars, confirming that it is possible to re-colonize Earth, although, there were still three obstacles – life would have to consist of underground bunkers until Earth had terraforming of its own, radiation had yet to go back to a safe level and mutated animals posed a new, unfamiliar danger.

Subsequently, two decades later, First in Command Rosalia Harmon, Mars Officials and the Earth team constructed a legally binding treaty to ensure the project of reviving Earth would not be abandoned. This was dubbed the Eden Pact under which five young, healthy Martians will be sent to Earth every sixteen years to add to the gene pool and community.

____________________________________________________________

With a sigh, Nila closes the hologram of her textbook she had open in front of her with a swipe of her finger and turns her gaze out of the small window looking out into the black abyss called space. She leans against the glass and focuses on nothing in particular in the star-speckled, jet-black void full with beautiful splashes of fluorescent coloured masterpieces. The black smeared with the slight reddish hue of Mars' atmosphere makes for an even prettier painting in her memory. Her eyes twinkle in admiration in the reflection of the thick glass. She eventually turns her gaze to a special star in the sky. From Mars, Earth, cannot be seen with the naked eye. It often appears like a bright star, sometimes dimmer depending on which precinct one lives in. However, much to her enjoyment, every afternoon before dinner, she'd sit in her favourite spot and switch onto one of the few television channels Mars actually has. One of them showcases Earth, via an advanced telescope trained on the brown, red and gold globe. Specifically for those who are either feeling "homesick" or simply curious as to what it looks like.

"M.A.I, channel five please," she requests Mars' Artificial Intelligence system and turns her head to examine the hologram that almost immediately appears below the white ceiling.

Much like the two moons orbiting Mars, Earth, being closer to the sun, also has changing phases. Tonight, the blip of a planet compared to the ones humanity has knowledge of now, has the form of a waxing crescent. Its atmosphere is a murky mixture of brown and red with limited hints of green but nevertheless, Earth still looks beautiful.