~ Chapter 35: The Battle Plan ~

CPOV

We made our way slowly to the back door, then somehow my feet stopped in front it and I turned to him. It was dead silent, not even a cricket was chirping and the night air was calm. When his deep green eyes fell onto mine my heart jumped and I shivered.

"Chloe, you better head back in before you catch cold. Look at you, your shivering." I held myself back and shook my head.

"No, no I'm fine! I just..." I grasped at my jacket collar trying to buy me some time. I just... I just, what? I wanted to tell him something, there was something important that I wanted to tell him, but my mind was so scattered I couldn't remember? Idiot!

"Chloe, don't be scared. I'll be there the whole time; I wouldn't ever let anything happen to you." He came up and rapped his arm around my shoulders giving me a reassuring shake, and then he pecked me on the lips, slowly whispering to me that after this it will all be over. "We will be able to go home, no more running, not more hiding." He rubbed my arm then slid open the back door for me. I stepped in; eyeing him in the light that flooded out of the motel room.

"Derek," I said, shaking my head with a laugh. "I know, but do you know that you have five o'clock shadow?" he turned his head away, blushing profusely as he glided his fingers across his face realising the coarse whiskers for the first time.

"The rustic grunge look, I can't pull it off now can I?" he shot me a humorous face with a playful grin.

"Guess I'm just not used to you actually looking grown up, I guess?"

"I left my Bick razors back at the safe house, guess it shows now doesn't it?" I giggled and he silently did along with me. "Good night Chloe, see you in about an hour." He then disappeared into the night as I closed the door, swallowing him in darkness.

"Where have you been?" Tori said from her bed, twirling a ball of energy in her hand. I shrivelled into the wall from surprise.

"Tori! Don't scare me like that!" She laughed and diffused the ball.

"If anything you're the one scaring me!" Tori got up from the bed and came over; she messed up my hair then pulled me to the middle of the room. "I thought you were an innocent little thing, but after seeing you wander into the night to go have a make out fest with that thing? I don't know anymore."

"Derek is not a thing Tori. And how do you know what I was doing with him? I could just have been out there for some fresh air for all you know!"

"Or some fresh meat!"

"TORI!" she stuck her tongue out at me than laid back down on her bed.

"Do whatever you want Chloe I will stop bickering, it's obvious you won't listen to me anyway." She then rolled over and after a moment I realized she fell asleep.

~x~

I sat there for a minute on the edge of my own bed, kicking my feet absently thinking of Sophie.

..."But you must understand Chloe; the reason why we worry is because as soon as a werewolf completes his selection process, he will never love another again."

... Never love again?

..."He is far from finishing it; the usual ritual can last from months to even years, it won't end until_." She cut herself off and mouthed "I will tell you later, she's coming back."

...it won't end until what?

I pulled at my sheets; wrapping myself up to try to warm the chill going up my spine. This puzzle was missing a few too many pieces, but I did not have the time to ponder it because at that very moment a knock came from the door. I answered it, and saw the lean serious face of Andrew.