~Chapter 33: The Big Day ~

CPOV

I sat at the top of the stairs as I watched the hustle and bustle of all the people going about their business in the house. I felt like Kevin off of Home Alone sitting there while everyone else around him were busy getting ready to go on vacation. I hugged my small bag of belongings and muffled a long sigh. But this was not a vacation if anything, it was far from it!

Something that felt like of a knee hit my side and a gasp rose from behind me along with the sound of shuffling fabrics. I turned and saw Aidan, along with hands piled high with duffle bags and backpacks.

"Chloe," Aidan spat breathlessly. "What are you doing sitting on the stairs, I almost dropped this on you!" I jumped up and flattened myself against the wall.

"Sorry, I thought everyone was downstairs." I apologized, he just shook his head.

"It's fine." He motioned towards the stairs and I stopped him.

"Hey, let me help you with that. You have way too big of a load there, if you didn't drop it on me, then someone else down there is going to get it." He rebalanced his stack and gripped it tighter.

"Nah, I'll be fine." I intersected him and began pulling at his pile.

"Don't try to act macho, you need help." I looked over at him and saw that his nostrils were flaring. "You okay?" I asked, I came closer and grasped two of the duffle bags, my hand by accident touched his and he flipped!

Aidan pulled away with a nervous grunt and hightailed it down the stairs with the luggage, and me? I was left standing there wide eyed. Um okay... I guess he can take them all if he really wants to?

Aidan's POV

I turned and hid behind the next corner, hugging the luggage with all my nerve to control my erratic heart beats. I looked to the ceiling, still hearing the light creak of the floor boards under her feet as Chloe stayed planted to the spot where I left her. I held my breath and shut my eyes tight.

That was too much; the scent that came off of her was like growl of a thousand threats, and her touch was of a million bolts of electricity to my senses. What Sophie had told me the night before must have been true, Derek had claimed her as his own and to my nostrils, that now seemed as clear as day!

"Hey, Aidan you look a little overloaded there want a hand?" I turned and there stood Derek, his eyes were kind and his expression playful like he was trying to hold back laughter. But still I jumped. "You okay?"

"Yeah," I nodded my head and passed him a few of the bags.

"How did you end up with the lot these, they can't possibly be all yours?" I told him that they belonged to Aaron, Ethan, Liam and Tori.

"They asked me to carry them down for them while they did stuff." He nodded and headed out the door, me following behind.

"Let's toss these in the bed of the truck." I agreed and we did so, as we were finishing up a thought came to mind.

"Why is it that we are coming? I don't want to sound disrespectful to your father or anything, but I don't see much use the gang and me will be?" Derek tossed the last bag into the back of the truck and stiffened, he rubbed at his chin with his thumb and finger and I realised there was a small shadow of a beard forming.

"Well, we hoped that you would keep Simon and Tori company. They won't be taking part in the rescue so we kind of planned that you guys would stay with them." My mind wound about in thought.

"Tori, the black haired one with a nasty tempter, right?" I asked; I honestly had to think to remember her.

"Yeah, you don't really associate yourself with her do you?" he asked, lifting an eyebrow.

"I try my hardest not to."

"I don't blame you!" we both laughed and headed back towards the house. My eyes fell on him without his noticing and I used this chance to make my analysis.

He was built, tall, muscular and dark haired, his brows were thick but not bushy and his face was clear and calm. His eyes were an intense green, and as I smelt his scent my brain became messed up with confusing signals. He was indeed a large strong person, but he appeared nothing like the threatening pheromones he displayed. Was he honestly capable of the harsh scents that he left on Chloe? For just some reason I could not find a characteristic in him to produce such a terrorizing smell. But could he just be pulling the wool over my eyes? It was hard to tell.

CPOV

Soon everyone was packed up and ready, the sun was about to set and we knew that the twilight was precious so we mustn't waste it. Andrew, Liam, Derek and Simon and I led the party in the truck. The Alpha and his band of right hand men, and the frat pack were not far behind in a caravan and the rest of the resistance fell back in numerous other vehicles. When I last turned around and checked, there were about 8 full cars driving along with us through the night. This helped reassure my nerves.

I looked around the cabin and noticed in the darkness that Simon had nodded off, his head bobbing as it hung restraint less away from his seatbelt.

"You should get some rest too Chloe, we won't be anywhere near the headquarters for at least another 3 hours." I turned to Derek and saw him tapping his fingers nervously as he glanced towards the window. But he wasn't fooling me, I could see his eyes staring at me through the reflection in the glass, I couldn't help but smile.

"Maybe you're right." I got a little cosy in my seat and looked forward.

"I agree," I tore my gaze away from the back of Andrew's seat to stare up at him turned around looking at us. "You both need your rest, you are very important to this operation and we need you to be functioning at your best." He gave a sympathetic nod in my direction" don't overwork yourselves when you don't have to, okay?" he then sat back the right way in his seat, and left the conversation at that.

Derek still looked off into the distance, his eyes flashing from tree to tree like he was surveying the forest for any sign of a threat. I slipped my hand into his and squeezed it reassuringly. He turned his head sharply in my direction, his eyes wide and waiting anxiously for my words, but I had none. I just swallowed then flashed him a warm smile and mouthed"its fine, it will be okay." I saw his eyelids bobbing since the car ride first began, and they were still trying to hold back the sweet call of slumber. I squeezed tighter and placed my head on his shoulder, I had to do something to calm him and this was the only thing I could think of. After a moment he squeezed back, and within a fraction of a minute I could hear his calm breathing develop, and his grip on my hand loosen. Not long after, I fell asleep too.