~Chapter 15: An Elephant in the Room~

CPOV

I wasn't so sure that Derek should have been cooking breakfast, for one thing... I NEVER seen him cook before in the almost full month I've known him, and for another thing... he looked just as eager to cook as I would summoning the dead. I was about to ask him if he was really doing this cause he wanted to, but thought against it. There was a reason for his actions, and I think Liam had something to do with it. So when he looked to me for reassurance, I humbly agreed to his offer, and left it at that.

As he was gearing up to prepare, I noticed that the kitchen looked different since I left. A cupboard was left open, and it was filled with perishable food items like cereal and chips. I saw a box of granola bars and...what looked like some instant noodles. Those weren't there before; I remembered our stomachs growling because the only thing left in the pantry was a box of stale Cheerios, and in the freezer a loaf of bread. Where did all this food come from?

Derek somehow tied an apron that shouldn't of fit him around his waist, and after that he paused in bewilderment about what he was suppose to do next. I was holding back a laugh and noticed Liam mocking him with a thumbs up for fake encouragement and a dastardly sneer that showed off his pearly whites. I squinted at his choppers, were your eye teeth suppose to be shaped like that?

Then my attention shot to the stairs, I could hear the sound of footsteps going down them, and I looked around; Liam and Derek paused too, even though they were nowhere as close as I was. It annoyed me that their hearing was so good... way too good.

"Who would that be?" Liam mouthed at Derek in a low voice. Derek cocked his head at a strange angle, and muttered that it was Andrew, then went back to staring at the counter. But he was not fooling me, from the way his back was set, and the constant tapping of his pointer finger on his hip I knew that he was nervous about Liam and Andrew meeting.

Andrew reached the bottom of the stairs and we all went quiet, which was sort of odd, cause there was no reason why Derek and I needed to hide from him. I knew that I was still a little nervous from what he will say to me after I ran out into the woods without his consent last night, but what about Derek... what was his reason for keeping silent?

"Hello?" Said a cautious Andrew at the bottom railing, then he eased himself a little closer to the kitchen, but still the werewolves and I stayed frozen in place... and I was still being bothered as to why? "I heard voices down here; if you don't come out I will call the police." He threatened, but I huffed back a laugh; he wouldn't call the police when we were on the run and at a risk of being caught. This brought a sour taste to my mouth, we can't even trust the good guys anymore, and how in hell did we get into such a predicament anyway? Oh, what a mess we're in!

"It's just us Andrew; we came back a little while ago and didn't want to wake you." Derek said, turning to look at the entrance of the kitchen.

"Derek?" Andrew came in and looked at all of us wide eyed and smiling. He was about to say something probably on the lines of "I'm so glad you are all safe, I was so worried!" but never got the chance because his eyes fell on the tall blond haired man, and in curiosity he raised his chin at Liam.

"Who is he?" he asked, clenching his fists in surprise.

"A friend of Derek's," I blurted out with a big goofy smile to Andrew. I could just image Derek jumping in and protesting, but he didn't, and Liam just nodded going along with it.

"Hi," Liam said rising from his chair and silently hovering over to meet Andrew, their hands made contact in an awkward greeting. "I am Liam, and I happened to meet up with Derek and came by to see the friends he was always talking about." Wow, this guy could be a lawyer with the way he lies with such truthfulness. I glanced other at Derek for a second and noticed his arms crossed and nostrils flaring as he huffed a "yeah right!" to himself too low for anyone else to hear.

"Oh, well it's very nice to meet you Liam!" Andrew said happily, soaking up his lies like a sponge. They exchanged smiles and Liam put his arm around Andrew's shoulders and led him out to the hallway muttering things I couldn't make out, probably trying to find a secluded place to talk away from us. Then after they disappeared into the reading room my gaze fell to Derek and his to mine.

"So when will breakfast be ready?" I asked smiling, and then it fell at the corners of my mouth when Derek untied his apron and came toward me, but he didn't say anything. Instead he muttered "Wheneveryou finish it," and tossed the apron over my head. When I finally wrenched it off, he was silently shifting down the hallway after the adults. I felt my face get hot, and if this was a cartoon I would have had steam billowing out of my ears.

DPOV

I was honestly surprised by Andrew's gullibility but shrugged it off, and adverted my eyes. Could I honestly trust a guy who could be swoon so easily by a smooth talker? When they started shuffling down the hall in silent whispers my head shot back up, but it didn't go where I wanted it to, it trailed off and locked onto a pair of baby blues. My heart jumped.

"So," she said after an awkward moment of silence, I was sure my face was heating with nervousness, but I kept my mouth shut to hide my teeth chattering. "When will breakfast be ready?" she cooed in innocence. Oh yeah, I volunteered. But I had to keep my eye on Liam, so forget this!

To hide my nervous shaking I huffed at her question and gave her the apron, she could probably cook way better than me anyway, but I overthrew it without knowing and she got it in the face. I was going to say sorry, but reframed from it, so I tried to go with somehting insulting instead.

"Whenever you finish it." I could feel her anger rising as her eyes pierced my back when I retreated to the hallway after Liam. I hoped that ticking her off would encourage her to leave me alone right now; I didn't need her following me and blowing my cover as I overheard the adult's conversation. But I didn't have to feel good about it either, and to be frank I wanted to hit myself for what I just did, but I guess I just had to live with it I suppose. We until I could make it up to her at least.

"So you see sir, I think that it would be more beneficial that you guys come and stay there, instead of here." I heard Liam's voice slither from behind the wall between us.

"But what is the reason for all this? The kids and I just got settled, and we had seen neither head nor tail of the Edison group since being here. So what would be the purpose? "Exactly my point!

"Well you see_"

"What are you doing?" I jumped, and saw a surprised Chloe standing right behind me. Jeez how did I not notice she was right there? I looked down at her, my face getting hot, but not from nervousness but shock in realizing how much I had to bend my neck to see her. Did she get shorter? Wait reframe from what I just said, that was completely stupid and didn't make any sense.

"Nothing," I muttered, it took me a minute to actually remember what she asked me before I could answer. She started blabbering on about how I shouldn't be so mean, and quit with my attitude, but by that point I released my shoulders and headed up to my room.

"Hey!" she argued against my leaving.

"I am going to go get a shower, let's finish this pointless conversation some other time okay?" from where I saw it, if I was going to get some peace and have my heart at rest I had to get away from Chloe, and getting away from Chloe meant I couldn't keep an eye on Liam. So if I couldn't do either I might as well get cleaned up and have a shower.

Showers make everything better.

"Fine, I will wait at the door till you come out, then we can finish it." I stopped on the last step. SH*T!

Sorry for making Chloe seem so annoying, but she is trying to figure something out and that is the only way to get anything out of Derek is to bug him.

You'll see in the next chapter PROMISE!

CHOW :P

-Sapphiregorgeus