~ Chapter 17: They Found Us! ~

This is when the action starts to pick up guys, hope this wakes u up after the last 16 boring chapterz :S

*Disclaimer*

I don't own Darkest Powers:

BUT IM ON A BOAT, CUZ IM ON A BOAT, IM ON A BOAT YO!

DPOV

I was huffing back my bewilderment, my eyes were wide and I couldn't grasp what just happened, I just... couldn't?

I shuffled my feet, gruffly heading onto the trail I found the night before thinking that if I got some air I could probably clear my head. My heart was pounding, and the chill that crept with the wind made me clench my teeth, my tongue rubbing against the fangs to make sure that they were still there from when I first saw them. They were. This was real.

My mind went into a state of blankness, my instincts leading me on, and the scents reaching my nose were the only thing that told me that I was still in the real world.

Simon hated me; he didn't want me as brother. I was just a stray, I didn't belong.

I looked up a tree that was standing in the middle of the trail, then this surge of anger rose from my gut and my fist went flying into it's trunk with a sickening whack. Branches were trembling, and my arm was shaking as I was picturing my face were the cracked bark now laid.

As I looked down at the dirt that encrusted my bruising knuckle, I thought about all the horrible things these hands had done. The pain they caused people, the emotional scarring they must have endured thanks to them. The legs a poor guy could no longer walk on, the trouble the boy who owned these hands caused for all the others who surrounded and cared for him.

What in hell was I? I tortured the ones I loved, I ruined their lives, all I do is cause others pain!

And I...

I threw down my fists and felt my eyes misting, I never believed for a second that it could of happened... it was impossible, they would never do it! But, after what I heard on that radio about them shooting Andrew if we didn't come out... my mind put it down as a possibility.

...Killed my father.

I broke down, my body curling up into a kneel on the ground, tears welling up as I tried to combat others, my mouth curling into a jumble, flashing my fangs to all the things who lived in this wood. I was a monster; no matter how nice I acted I was still a wolf in sheep's clothing. I was hiding my true self under a sheath of pale flesh to try to convince others that I was not a bad person. But I was not a person, I was born and bred a monster, which is what I will become, there is no hiding it.

I am not returning to the safe house, I don't want to cause any more pain to those I love, Andrew, Simon... Chloe, you won't need to worry about what hell I will cause you anymore. I'm gone from your lives now... be safe.

I was running now, searching for the scent of pavement and gasoline, I was going to thumb a ride, or at least walk along the highway. I stiffened when my nostrils found it, and turned as fast as I could in the scent's direction.

Then I saw a break in the trees, I was going to run through it when I noticed a vehicle parked just beyond it, parallel to the highway, its motor still running.

Instinctively I dove behind the nearest bush cover, and sneaked a peek through it at the Van. A woman was talking loudly in an aggravated manner at a cell phone, and a man was leaning out the passenger window trying and failing to get the woman's attention towards the map in his hands. She was pacing in high heels impossibly through the ruff of gravel at her feet, and had on a long coat that accentuated the colour of her deep black long hair. An 18 wheeler flew past, unsettling the dirt, and blowing it into the air.

I caught a wiff of the strangers, and my jaw almost dropped. That was no ordinary van, that was an Edison group van, and I knew this by the scent of the woman; she was Tori's mother, they found us!

I looked up from the bush calculating how far I was from the house.

Tori's mother began yelling loudly and I tuned into the conversation.

"Look, just tell us which highway they live on and we will me right on them, they are not obviously on this one cause we scoured it for hours and found nothing but simple cottages, the hideout location you told me of is not here I tell you!" she began nodding her head, and mumbling agreements with the person over the phone which I could not make out.

"Fine," she said after a long pause of listening to the person. "We will try checking a little farther up, but If we don't find it then I am turning around and checking the 107." That is when I bolted.

CPOV

I was running along the trail, but mostly I was following the enormous foot prints etched into the drying mud. Derek had to be somewhere close by; he didn't have that much of a head start! Then suddenly a gust of wind and a dark form past me going in the opposite direction, I felt a chill run up me and instantly thought of a ghost.

I turned back, and so did the entity, showing me his dark black hair and piercing green eyes that peered red rimmed behind his lanky bangs.

"Derek!" I said running up to him. "Are you alright?" he huffed back the cheesy 'I'm so glad to you came all this way because you were worried about me' crap that happen at the falling action and conclusion of movies and just said "We have to move!"

"Why, what's wrong?" he scooped my up and carried me piggy back style. I was so in shock that it never occurred to me what his answer was until he muttered the words 'Edison Group'.

"They found us?"

"Yeah," he huffed as he tirelessly pushed his body forward at lightning speed through the brush and trees.

"Derek, don't overwork yourself, or you won't make it there at all."

"I have no other choice; our friends are in trouble, if the Edison group get there before we do..."

"Maybe you should let me down, and then you won't be pushing yourself so much." He grunted.

"You weigh nothing Chloe, and besides if you were trying to keep up with me you would only slow me down." Wow, I got complemented and completely insulted all in one sentence; only Derek could pull that one off.

"Derek," I said, trying to ease the situation... I mean the guy just had his brother chew him out, I didn't expect him to be completely himself just yet.

"What?" he mumbled, his feet pounding and his hair flapping, the sheer amazement of the motion of his body completely took me by surprise. He seemed like he was just gliding over the ground, his feet caressing the earth instead of compressing it and his head stooped low as he balanced me so that I didn't bounce up and down. I totally forgot what I was going to say. Then he shot me what he just said again, and I broke out of my daze.

"Do_ Do you always run like this?" I know, dumb question.

"No," he seemed at a loss for words. After a while I tried to finish the topic.

"O_Okay_" then he cut me off.

"But most times wolves usually do." We traveled in silence after that. Is this what a complete change does to a person?

I looked down at his face and saw his mouth hanging open as he huffed for air. That's when I saw the protruding eye teeth that seemed similar to what I saw from Liam; I tensed and returned my focus to the back of his neck.

A complete change does a lot to a person alright...