Part 3: Battle of the Five Armies

*Molly's POV*

It's almost impossible to breathe. The tightness around my stomach and the one large claw threatening to stab right through my chest doesn't help much either. The cold air blows through my hair as the dragon and I approach lake town. I hear and see people running and shouting seeing the figure of the dragon in the sky. Boats are even attempting to leave the town through the narrow waterways.

 "Run! Get out of here!" I shout from above but no one can hear me. Not that it would do any good.

"Run-run-run as fast as you can." Smaug mocks squeezing me tighter in his clutches.

His chest glows bright orange and he roars out sending flames beating the rooftops. There is an explosion of screams and cries. The dragon's flame pierces right through the center of the town destroying home and burning the townspeople like paper.

"Please, stop! Why are you doing this?! They are innocent!" I cry out. 

Smaug's head cranes down next to me and he smiles his toothy smile "Exactly, and to let you watch their innocence and lives burn is what makes my revenge sweeter." he hisses "When it is all over I shall then cast you into the flames and listen for the cries of the Dwarves after finding nothing but your ashes!" 

Smaug swoops down with me in his clutches still and I watch the flames and dying people. He sends another blast and the screams only overlap one another. My eyes scan frantically around in searching for Bard's house. I spot it and shake my head seeing it engulfed in flames. 

"No..." I breathe watching the horror unfold. 

As Smaug flies around I barely see something whizz by and hit the dragon before bouncing off. I see the arrow falling down from the sky to the ground. My blue eyes reflect the fire dart left and right until I see him. 

"BARD!" I shout. 

Perched in the tops of a wooden tower in the center of town the bowman fires his arrows. He looks around until he sees me in the dragon's clutches "Hold on Molly!" 

 The dragon sends another blast down to lake town swooping through the streets. Swooping close I gasp see him aiming for the tower Bard is in. I close my eyes guarding my face as we hit sending shards of wood everywhere. The dragon flies up and I look down to see the tower destroyed. 

"Bard!" I call but hear no answer. 

Slowly Bard along with his son stands up from the wreckage. Smaug lands holding me in one claw and the other on the ground. He hisses and turns looking at Bard who slowly stands.

 "Who are you that would stand against me?!" hisses Smaug. 

Bard grabs his bow, only to find that it has been broken in half when Smaug smashed into the tower earlier. The dragon lowers his head and I squirm in his grasps.

 "Now that is a pity. What will you do now, Bowman? You are forsaken. No help will come." 

Bard's worried eyes meet mine and I shake my head and mouth "Run."  

"Perhaps I should kill her first, bowman." Smaug hisses now looking to me "You may not be Oakenshield but you'll do for an audience."

I desperately try to break free from the dragon's grip. No amount of energy or strength can be mustered to set me free. I'm going to die.

"Save her da!" a familiar voice shouts from the tower.

My attention as well as the dragons look to the tower to Bain who pleadingly looks to his father than to me. Smaug chuckles "Is that your child? You cannot save him from the fire. He will BURN!"

As Smaug continues to approach, Bard fixes the two broken halves of his bow into the walls of the bell tower, with the bowstring taut between them. I try wiggling from the dragon grasps as I helplessly look at Smaug advancing towards Bard and his son. My eyes widen when I see the black arrow as Bard fixes it into the bowstring, and lays the front end of the Black Arrow on the shoulder of Bain, who is standing in between the fixed pieces of the bow and facing Bard. 

"Stay still, son. Stay still." Bard says to Bain. 

His son I can see is shaking from where he stands. 

"Tell me, wretch - How now shall you challenge me?!" Smaug bellows "You have nothing left, but your DEATH!" as Smaug growls this I look up spotting the missing scale.

"Bard?!" I call. 

He looks and I nod and his eyes follow to the scale.  As Bain moves to the left following his father's directions he stops and slowly aims it. The dragon breathes in and his chest glows orange lifting his head.

 "NOW!" I shout. 

The arrow is released and whizzing in the air and it finds its mark in the dragon's heart. Smaug screams and roars in pain as he hisses and flies into the sky. 

"Molly!" Bard calls as we go up. I try to get from his grasp but can't as we're over the town. Smaug roars lifting his head to the sky. I yelp as his grip tightens around me until I feel a sharp pain in my ribs. The dragon chokes up as his fiery eyes go dim and he goes silent and begins falling down to earth. I gasp as his claws retract from me and I go falling down to the earth with him. 

*Thorin's POV*

I stare proudly at the gates of Erebor. Our home, at last, is ours. I reside a level lower than the others. They watch as Smaug burns the town. I had neglected to look at it because the dragon is no longer my concern. We have kicked the dragon from its stolen hoard and reclaimed the Dwarven Kingdom. I have more important things at hand to concern myself with than the defeated dragon. Oh, the glorious gold. That is what is on my mind and nothing else in the world. All the wealth and gold flowing in the halls and running in every crevice of the mountain.

A loud roar rings out snapping me out of it. I look at the dragon as it flies just above the town before falling from high in the sky.

"What was that? What happened?" Dori asks.  

Bilbo steps towards the edge "It fell. I saw it." 

Quickly I race up the steps with them and peer out. I watch the dragon no longer flying but falling. Then a scream pierces the air sending a chill down our spines. 

"The girl...." Dwalin mutters in disbelief. 

"N-no...no she can't. She can't be." I gasp feeling a pain in my chest. I lean onto the ledge remembering her face. Her eyes pleaded for me to save her and all I did was watch her be carried away.

"Perhaps she escaped him before his fall." Balin says with little hope but I can see the truth in his eyes.

Bilbo nods "Yes, perhaps she did. She has to be alright. She just has to."

After a moment of silence Gloin pipes up "Look there! The ravens of Erebor are returning to the mountain!"

Several birds can be seen cawing and approaching the Lonely Mountain.  

Dori nods "Aye - Word will spread. Before long every soul in Middle-earth will know - The dragon is dead!" 

They all seem pleased except for Balin and Bilbo who look at the town in worry. I wonder what has become of Molly. I can't go save her for we have no way left to leave. All we have left to do is sit and wait. The only thing I can think of now is three words.

"Don't. Be. Dead."

AN:I know that this didn't happen exactly in the movie but I am going to change a few things. It won't follow exactly and more days will be added into the time frame.