Smaug

*Molly's POV*

The bulk of our journey had come to an end, but the hardest part has yet to come. Despite the joy and happiness the Company is radiating with, I can't seem to share in the excitement. Putting the dragon guarding the treasure horde inside aside, I won't be here much longer. Sooner or later I will open my eyes back in my old room in my own world. I'll never see my friends or Thorin again. My chest aches at the thought but especially when I think of the raven haired dwarf. From the corner of my eye I see Balin and Bilbo sneak off. While the others discuss Erebor and how happy it is to be home I lean against the wall just down the second hallway listening to Balin and Bilbo speak.

 "You want me to find a jewel?" Bilbo asks. 

"A large white jewel, yes." Balin agree's. 

Bilbo waves his arms at his side "That's it? Only, I imagine there's quite a few down there." 

Balin shakes his head "There is only one Arkenstone. You'll know it when you see it." 

Bilbo nods "Alright, but why did you tell me this in private. I mean, shouldn't Molly be included?" 

Balin sighs "I'm afraid Molly will not be joining you. It's Thorin's orders."

 I furrow my brows and lean closer "He asked that you go at it alone." 

Bilbo shrugs "Why is that?" 

Balin sighs and slightly laughs "I have known Thorin all his life. I've watched him grow into the Dwarf I always believed he would be. Since he met her now he's...different. I believe somewhere deep down that boy has unrecognized feelings for her. Wants her to be safe. And he can't ensure that unless he's with her, and he can't go with you both." 

My heart nearly leaps from my chest. I clutch my chest tightly and feel myself begin to tremble in thrill and excitement. Never in my life had a man loved me or let alone had some form of affection for me and now I hear that there is a chance Thorin does. 

Bilbo chuckles "I know your right. Honestly I'm relieved she's staying here. She's very dear to me and has become one of my best friends. Can't imagine what I'd do if I let her get hurt." 

 I smile warmly at my friends words but also feel guilty knowing he's going in alone. Should I step out and demand to go? No. Maybe I'd just be in the way and get us caught or worse. 

Balin sighs "She would go if allowed, Bilbo."

 Balin hesitates before speaking again "In truth, lad, I do not know what you will find down there. You needn't go if you don't want to, there's no dishonor in turning back."
Bilbo shakes his head "No, Balin, I promised I would do this, and I think I must try."

Balin looks at Bilbo, then begins to chuckle appreciatively "It never ceases to amaze me." 

"What's that?" 

Balin laughs "The courage of Hobbits. Go now with as much luck as you can muster."

They nod at each other, and Bilbo proceeds down the tunnel while Balin turns back. I do not move from my spot even though I want to. Balin turns and sees me. I look up at him with fretful eyes. 

"Will he be alright?" I ask. 

He sighs "I do not know, but sometimes the right thing to do is sometimes nothing." he says patting my shoulder. I stand there and ponder on his words then come around the corner "Bilbo?" I call. 

The Hobbit stops before leaving and turns. Biting my lip I look up at him "I just want you to know that-that I'm glad your my friend. I believe in you."