The Tale

*Thorin's POV*

We had made camp on a cliff edge. The ponies were over a few yards away chewing on whatever grass they could get their teeth on. I was leaning against a rock slowly dozing off. I would take whatever sleep I could get considering I hadn't slept or at least gotten any decent sleep in a week. As I doze I only open my eyes seeing the human girl sitting around the fire with Fili and Kili. I watch her as she stares into the fire rubbing her arms. The clothes she wears are very different from those I've seen and not nearly warm enough. 

A loud screech rings out alerting those who are still awake. I sit up quickly knowing good and well what it is. 

"What was that?" Bilbo asks hurrying towards the fire with the others. 

"Orcs." Kili says ominously tossing a twig in the fire. 

"Orcs?" Molly questions with fear laced in her voice.

Fili nods "Throat ­cutters. There'll be dozens of them out there. The lowlands are crawling with them."

Clenching my teeth I grow angrier by the minute with my two nephews. I know exactly what they're doing to the Hobbit and the girl.

 Kili speaks again "They strike in the wee small hours when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet; no screams, just lots of blood." 

Molly's eyes stare fearfully at the brothers and then clasps her hands together. Even from here, I can see her shoulders tremble. I know if I sit here silent any longer my head will explode. Standing I march over to the fire standing behind Molly. My two nephews look at me as I sneer "You think that's funny? You think a night raid by orcs is a joke?" 

Kili shakes his head looking down wiping the smile from his face "We didn't mean anything by it."

I scoff "No, you didn't. You know nothing of the world."  

Giving Molly one final glance I see her eyes avert from me. I'm making her uneasy so I step away to look over the lookout. 

Balin speaks up "Don't mind him, laddie. Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs. After the dragon took the Lonely Mountain, King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moria. But our enemy had got there first."

My mind sweeps back to the battle seeing the Orcs at Moria and Dwarves fighting against them. My grandfather met the eyes of the Pale Orc. 

Balin continues "Moria had been taken by legions of Orcs lead by the vilest of all their race: Azog, the Defiler. The giant Gundabad Orc had sworn to wipe out the line of Durin. He began by beheading the King." 

 I flinch at the memory of it all and close my eyes. The image of the pale Orc roaring in victory as he held my grandfather's head high above the rest. 

"Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief. He went missing, taken prisoner, or killed, we did not know. We were leaderless. Defeat and death were upon us. That is when I saw him. A young Dwarf Prince facing down the Pale Orc with nothing but an oak branch as a shield. With one swing of his sword, our enemy was defeated."  

I look back at the girl who is staring at me, but the moment I look at her she turns away. The story Balin is telling I didn't have to hear. I had lived through it and still relive it when I close my eyes. The story I want to hear is hers. The girl who seemed to be from another life. Another time. Another world.

---

That night as the others sleep on I awake to see the girl sitting up staring into the fire. Fili and Kili are drooling on the rocks and Bombur is snoring sucking in moths before spitting them out. Watching her she pokes at the fire to keep it burning. Sighing and rubbing her tired eyes and groans in frustration. Silently I stand and walk towards her and the fire. She doesn't notice my presence until I'm right next to her.