Stone Cold

*Molly's POV*

We had left Rivendell with no Gandalf. As our journey had continued we were exhausted walking up the rocky mountain terrain. I look up at the sky now turning grey and slowly but surely it starts to rain. I can feel the stone path beneath my feet becoming more and more slippery. The rain now gushing down on all of us so much so that the hood over my head can't keep the rain out. 

"Hold on!" Thorin shouts to us over his shoulder. I walk just behind Thorin's group behind Bofur. Kili is behind me and Fili two dwarves ahead. As we walk the rocks give away under Bilbo's feet and he slips. I gasp as Kili and Dwalin catch him by his shirt pulling him back up. 

I nod to the Hobbit "Are you okay Bilbo?"

He nervously chuckles "Y-yes, quite alright."

 "We must find shelter!" Thorin shouts but his voice being drowned out by the storm.

Dwalin's voice booms out over the thunder and he pushes Bilbo against the wall "Watch out!" 

A large boulder comes hurling just above us shattering as it collides with the mountainside. I can feel the vibration of the impact through my feet and I lay flat against the wall holding to Bofur and Kili. I snatch the young prince holding him against the mountain. 

Balin shakes his head in disbelief "This is no thunderstorm; it's a thunder battle! Look!"

My eyes widen as a large stone giant stands upright before me. Magnificent and impossible as it is the terror overrides any enjoyment I could have by this rare and wondrous sighting. The giant takes hold of a larger chunk of rock whilst standing and hurls it to another awakened giant. Bofur steps out on the ledge, eyes wide, and full of wonder "Well bless me, the legends are true. Giants; Stone Giants!"

Thorin motions him back "Take cover you fool!" 

My once secure place against the stone wall rumbles and I can see down the line the rest of the company can feel it.

 "What's happening?" I ask Dwalin who takes hold of Bilbo and Kili "Hold tight lass! Seems were going for a ride."

 Our mountain shifts and it's alive. Were on the leg of another giant. Fili reaches out "Kili! Grab my hand! Ki..." 

Soon our rocks split and Kili,Bofur, Bilbo, me and the dwarves behind us are separated from the other half of our group. "Molly!" Thorin shouts as he watches me ascend onto the leg of a stone giant. 

The only thing I can do is meet his fearful gaze with my own and hold onto Bofur's arm. As the two giants fight and shift back and forth a third appears behind our giant with a bolder. It swings a rock as hard as it can knocking our giants head off. Soon we go sailing forward and Thorin and the others watch helplessly. 

"Hold on Molly!" Kili says gripping my hand. I look at him in fear and he looks back with his face just the same. Any moment I feel as if this will be some terrible and strange dream I'll awake from, but now, in this moment, I know that this dream-like state I feel is the creeping spirit of death. 

I look and see were sailing down towards the rocky mountain to be crushed. There is nowhere to run or anyone to call to for help. Just before we get to it Kili pulls me close and Bofur holds my arm as we hit. We all get tossed onto the ledge in the small space left. The rocks begin to crumple as well as the rock beneath me. As the rock pulls back I being to fall. I grip onto the mountain ledge and feel the rock beneath me completely disappear. From above I hear Balin "We're all right! We're alive!"