End of the Beginning

*Molly's POV*

As we fly on the backs of eagles the sun began to rise. All of us stay together to keep one another in our sight. Holding on tightly to the eagle I finally calm my nerves. The Orcs are far behind us and a safe distance away. Well, at least for now. 

"Thorin!" Fili shouts from the eagle behind. I glance back at the two Princes who look completely and utterly fear-stricken. My own fear creeps back in as my mind reels over the Warg crushing Thorin in its jaws.

I look down at his dangling arm and limp body as he's held in the eagle's talons. His eyes are still closed and his face is pale. Clenching my fist I hold back my tears awaiting to see how badly injured he is once we land.

The eagles circle a small mountain ledge and land one by one. The eagle carrying Thorin and I lays him down on the rock. Quickly I slide off the eagle and run to Thorin. The company soon follows hurrying over. Kneeling next to Thorin I grip his shoulders and lean over him. 

"Thorin." I call with a light shake. 

His eyes remain closed and he lays there so still and lifeless. I shake him again even harder "Thorin!" 

Still no answer. Panic begins to consume me while my mind races in every direction. 

"Is he dead? Yes, he's dead. He's not breathing. It's your fault. It's your fault. It's ALL your fault."  

 I breathe heavily not knowing what to do. Feeling myself tear up I gently stroke his face and beard to offer him any sense of comfort dead or alive. Closing my eyes I softly whisper "Please....please wake up. I know you can.....I believe you can.....so please.....please Thorin."

After running my hand over his beard I hold his cheek. After a moment his eyes slowly began to flutter open. 

"Gandalf!" I call to the grey wizard who stands close by.

I back away and Gandalf kneels by Thorin's side. He calls out to him and Thorin's eyes open up completely. 

"The girl...?" he questions weakly.

 Gandalf smiles with a nod "It's all right. She is here. She's quite safe." 

I step back as Dwalin and Kili help Thorin up. However, once he's up, he shrugs them off and looks up at me with an infuriated expression. He approaches me with gruffness in his voice "You! What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed! Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild and that you had no place amongst us?" 

I open my mouth to speak and look around but no words come. I'm frightened and unable to look into his eyes but when I do they soften. 

Thorin steps closer to me with an alleviated smile "I've never been so wrong in all my life...!" With outstretched arms, Thorin grabs me and embraces me deeply. The other dwarves cheer loudly and slap each other on the back. Gandalf smiles as does Bilbo. I'm caught off guard and star wide-eyed but then I smile and wrap my arms around him and hug him back tightly as he is hugging me. I squeeze my eyes shut tightly holding onto him. 

"You scared me." I whisper to him "I thought-I thought you were..."

He sighs and I feel his breath on my shoulder making me shiver as he squeezes me reassuringly. "I know, I'm sorry Molly. Truly...and I am sorry I doubted you." 

 I giggle and shake my head pulling back "No, I would have doubted me too. I'm not a hero or a warrior...I can't even pass as a human." 

Everyone laughs and so does Thorin. His arms still rest on my shoulders. He chuckles and I smile as he reached up gently rubbing my cheek.                                                                                                  Thorin then turns to Bilbo "Mr.Baggins?"

 The Hobbit nods to him and Thorin smiles "I thank you. I saw you risk your life to save her. You were looking out for her and for me. I am glad to call you my friend as well. I hope that you can forgive me." 

Bilbo smiles shaking Thorin's hand "All is forgiven. And I you, Thorin."

With a loud screech, we watch as the eagles take off into the sky flying off. I smile looking up and watching them leave. Just as they fly off into the distance we hear Bilbo "Is that what I think it is?" we turn and in the distance, we see an outline of a single mountain.  

Gandalf smirks "Erebor—The Lonely Mountain. The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of Middle­ Earth."

Thorin looks at the mountain "Our home." 

As the bird chirps and flies by Oin points "A raven! The birds are returning to the mountain." We then hear more birds singing and Gandalf points "That, my dear Oin, is a thrush." 

I look to Thorin who then smiles "But we'll take it as a sign, ­a good omen." 

He turns and looks at me and we smile at one another. I nod "I believe the best is yet to come."

Bilbo chuckles "You're right. I do believe the worst is behind us." 

In the darkest parts of the halls and depths of the once-grand Kingdom of Erebor, there lay mountains of gold. Jewels of all kinds spilled onto the golden treasure. As a silent ruble erupts from the bottom caves of it a pile of gold shifts as something it uncovered. A dark power that cursed this land. And as the eye opened up and from the cities below some could hear the slight rumble of Smaug.

 And as the eye opened up and from the cities below some could hear the slight rumble of Smaug