Chapter Twenty Two

Beginne am Anfang

"Then you have nothing to lose."

"Fine," I said, shaking her outstretched hand. "You and your stupid bets."

"Drive thru or inside?" Luke called to us as he pulled into the parking lot.

"Let's go in."

"Got it," he drove to a parking space, parking the car and allowing us all to hop out. We walked into the restaurant chattering loudly, mostly about what we were going to eat.

"I heard they have a new version of the Big Mac," I said to them as we opened the door. "You can get a smaller one or a bigger one."

"Bigger Big Mac?" Jake said, his mouth turning up in a wide smile. "I am all for that."

I rolled my eyes, looking at Abbi. "Can you get my usual? I'm running to the bathroom."

"On it," she said. Luke looked at Jake with a smile.

"I gotta go too, bro," he said. "Cover me?"

"Do you mean you want me to pay for yours?"

"Thanks so much for offering," Luke said with a wry grin, heading back towards the restrooms with me. I laughed at him, shaking my head.

"You're ridiculous," I said, glancing out the window before doing a double take.

"What the—"

Noticing my glance Luke looked up, his mouth opening to speak. I didn't get a chance to hear what he said as I rushed forward, shoving through the glass door and outside into the warm air. My heart began racing as I took in the scene—Jenna's dad, his face red with fury, his hand clamped around her wrist as she let out a pitiful cry in protest.

"Hey," I said as I neared the two figures, my heart in my throat. "Hey!"

Before I could say another word I was barely aware of Luke racing past me, his body slamming into Jenna's dad, taking him instantly to the ground. Jenna jerked back, her eyes wide, and I grabbed her and pulled her back.

"Luke!" I snapped, watching as he reared up and smashed his fist into Jenna's dad's jaw. "Luke, let him go!"

Desperately, I looked around for someone to help, barely aware of Jenna practically hyperventilating behind me. Her hand was clasped tightly around mine, squeezing so tightly my fingers were going numb. Jenna's dad threw a shot at Luke's face and Luke jerked back before punching him again.

"Stop it!" I said, yanking my hand out of Jenna's grip and jumping forward. I pried Luke away from Jenna's dad, struggling to pull him back. The second he was loose, Jenna's dad leapt towards Luke, out for blood, but I shoved Luke back before stepping in front of him.

"No!" I spat, grabbing the front of Jenna's father's shirt and shoving him backwards. He barely budged but I didn't let up, pushing at him with everything I had. "Get the hell out of here!"

Finally, realizing the fight was over, he gave me a murderous glance before his gaze flew to Jenna.

"We will talk when you get home," his voice was hoarse, blood dripping from his nose, and he looked about ready to kill any one of us. He spun, storming back towards his car and pealing violently out of the park.

And just as quickly as it had started, it was over.

I turned to face Jenna, opening my mouth to speak, before I paused. She had her head tucked into Luke's shoulder, her eyes red, her body visibly trembling. I let out a shaky breath, meeting her eyes evenly.