Dramatized Fascination

"Cut!" the director shouted.
Mary-Ann frowned. I loved to see her frown. The director marched over to her. "Come on Annie, you got to convey your emotion better. Make it believable, you know. I know you have it in you. Remember, this is all gonna be live, I won't be there to help you if you mess up on the big day okay?"

The thought of her messing up on stage and everyone laughing at her was extremely amusing. I had to hide my smile. "Don't be sad. You can do it! You wanna know why? Because of your talent! That's why your my leading lady!" he added.

She chimed in at the end of his sentence. He said it so often. Even I mouthed his words in annoyance. My audition was better than hers. I deserved to be his leading lady. I wanted to be Dorothy so badly. I would kill to be Dorothy.

But no... I wasn't good enough. The director's niece was the one with all the talent. No coincidence or bias there. Like I was going to believe that crap. So what if she was recommended by over 40 different agents. Wasn't it time to give someone else a chance?

Like me. I had talent. I had been acting since I was four! But I never got any big roles. I had worked so hard. This was supposed to be my big break. I was finally gonna be the star and get the attention I deserved. But no... the new comer beat me. I got the role of The Good Witch. Who even remembered The Good Witch. The only thing I remembered from The Wizard Of Oz was Dorothy. I'd be happier if they gave me the role of he dog. At least I'd have more screen time.

The only good thing about it was that I was her stand in. If she had an 'accident' I would get her part. It would be perfect. I could go from having only 12 lines to 80% of every line spoken in the plane. I have to admit, I spent more time memorizing her lines then mine, but I knew all of them like the back of my hand. I could say them better than her. If they gave me a chance....

"Action!" The director boomed. We were doing the scene where Dorothy met the Scarecrow. "Oh my look a scarecrow!" Mary-Ann boomed. She sounded soooooo fake. She wasn't doing it right. I just wanted to scream and curse at her but I knew the director wouldn't have it.

This had to work.

She walked over to the designated area where the Scarecrow was supposed to pop out and 'scare' her.

Just a few more steps and she would be there, the broken floor board. It's always been broken, no one would know the difference. It would just be faulty construction. No one would suspect anything.

But someone did. There was just one extra crack in it... Maybe it was out of place I don't know. But, Matthew, the kid who plays the Scarecrow saw it. "Annie watch out!" He yelled as he ran out from his hiding place behind some prop bushes. The fool. He fell right into my trap. As soon as his foot touched the broken plank, the floor collapsed leaving a big hole and he fell to the ground.

Under the stage was the old basement. It would be perfect. Mary-Ann was supposed to fall down and get hurt... Die for all I care. Then I would take her place. Some other snotty-nosed actress would take my place as The Good Witch... Or if I was lucky, Mary-Ann. I wouldn't waste a minute of my time rubbing it in how much of a better job I was doing than her.

Then I would become the star, whether my crew members liked it or not. This play wouldn't be the last of it. I would be rocketed to fame. I would become a movie star just like I always wanted! I'd work with the best, not with this lousy team. And the best part was that I would get away with it all! No one would every suspect me. I would get off Scott-free... And I did. Just not the way I expected.