~ Chapter 31: Romeo, oh Romeo... ~

Mulai dari awal

"He has "the trait", and it has started..." Andrew swallowed. "...to take effect." Liam grinned and for a second I felt like he flashed a glance at me, but when I turned he was back to looking to Liam.

"Oh, really? Well, he is a little young but I wouldn't blame him because of it, it isn't his fault." Andrew turned away, the plate of food in hand.

"I know, just let me try to... figure out what to do about it alright?" Liam nodded.

"Just don't keep him waiting for too long, you know how a hungry wolf gets when he is wants his food." He said, showing his canines as he grinned slightly. None of the others were able to read into what Liam said, but me on the other hand? I gripped my fork tighter and looked back down at my half eaten meal. Was Derek going to be alright up there by himself? Then my brain shot me an idea.

~x~

After everyone settled down, and I was able to slip away unnoticed, I figured it was time to put my plan into action. I sneaked to the back door and was about to slip outside when all of a sudden I sensed a presence and turned.

"What are you doing?" Aidan whispered with a smug smile on his face.

"Shoot, don't scare me like that!" I half whispered, trying to keep myself from being overheard by others.

"Sorry," he snickered. "I didn't mean to startle you."

"Well, you werewolves walk so quietly it is a wonder I haven't had a heart attack by now." I stated, than I went and regrasped the handle. "Anyway, I am just stepping out for a minute. Don't tell on me ok?" he nodded in agreement.

"Just don't be too long, it's almost dark." I nodded and smirked.

" I promise."

I was half way out the door when he stopped me again.

"Where are you going anyway, there is nothing out there but woods?"

"To talk to Derek." I murmured.

"But he_?" Aidan pointed at the ceiling.

"There is a ladder down by the edge of the deck remember? I saw it there from out the kitchen window on the first day." He raised his eyebrow.

"Just be careful on that thing." He said, than he turned away. "If anyone asks for you, I'll tell them you're in the shower or something."

"Thanks Aidan." I whispered and I went to shut the door.

"Anytime Chloe... anytime."

~x~

I pulled the ladder up and onto the side of the house where I presumed the reading room window was. It was getting dark fast and I could only really see the outline of things. I steadied the ladder and made sure it wouldn't tip, I tested the steps to make sure they wouldn't break and when everything checked out good I climbed my way to Derek.

When I made it to the window I knocked on it and waited, nothing stirred behind the blinds. But I wouldn't give up just yet.

DPOV

I was lying outstretched on the couch, my feet elevated on a pile of boxes as I sat their idly rubbing my full stomach. I hear the sound of knocking so I looked up at the door and sniffed, no one was there. I looked back to the wall double guessing my senses. Then it came again!

I was not going to sit back and do nothing this time; I hopped up and looked around the room. It didn't make any sense, there was nothing here that could possibly make that noise, but something had to? I knew I wasn't hearing things!

KNOCK! KNOCK!

My vision shot to a box by the wall. A box? What the hell would be in it? I lifted it up and that was when I realised there was a window in my room!

I pulled back the blinds in a flash and was met with a face, at first I jumped, then I realised it was Chloe. But that didn't make my heart slow; if anything... it sped up even more.

"CHLOE!" I blurted, I whisked up the window pane, grabbed her by the arm pits and pulled her in as fast as I could. "Are you crazy? You could get hurt pulling a stunt like that!" She just sighed at me and smiled.

"Well I'm safe now, so you can put me down?" I blinked and felt my face heating; I gently stood her back on her feet and shoved my hands in my pockets. What was she doing here?

"Sorry." I mumbled looking away. I wasn't ready to see her again, I had no idea I had the selection trait until then and I was worried it would... I don't know; make her hate me or something?

"Romeo, oh Romeo, what is wrong with thy fair Romeo?" I gave her one raised eyebrow, and she shook her head, tut tutting me for my ignorance. "Come on Derek, I climbed a full two stories at my own risk of being caught and you won't even spare me a minute of your scolding? This Juliette actually worked for her money, can't you even just say' Thanks for dropping by' or something?"

"Chloe," I murmured "you shouldn't be here and you know that!" she manoeuvred around me and plopped herself down on one side of the couch and patted the other side wanting me to sit there. I didn't budge.

"So? Who cares if I'm not supposed to be here?" She was giving me that smile, that one that always broke down my rule barrier. I turned away, trying not to show how happy I was to see her. My heart was beating a mile a minute, I could almost hug her for coming... but I knew that I need to keep myself under control or I wouldn't see out of this room for quite a while. Unfortunately the person that Andrew wanted to keep me from just broke into my room against my will to see me... I guess his plan backfired?

"Chloe," I said, plopping onto the other side of the couch. "I-It's not that I'm not grateful for you going to this length to see me but I mean...why do you...didn't you hear me earlier? W-When I s-said... a-aren't you mad?" she turned towards me and mock pouted.

"Of course not Derek, I could never be mad at you!"

CPOV

Somehow I was able to convince Derek to sit down and even got rid of the worry in his face by goofing around. This was easy; he was not as bad off as I thought he was after all. Looks like this Juliette has done the trick for poor little Romeo, I'm so relived.

We talked, I made him laugh but then all of that stopped when I placed down my hand at the same time he did, our hands touched. I flushed and looked away, his hand found mine again and he grasped it gently as he cleared his throat.

DPOV

"You do remember what I said down in the living room earlier don't you?" She pulled her knees up to her chin and looked at me from the side.

"Yeah, I do."

"I'm sorry I like you Chloe, I really never intended to get you involved in all this, it just kind of_."

"Happened? I know, and... I wanted to tell you that I understand because..." She turned herself to me and squeezed my hand; she beamed that beautiful smile of hers and brushed back a lock of her hair. "Because... I like you too Derek." I was left wordless.

She bid me farewell and I watched as she slowly disappeared into the darkness of the night, then I heard the back door open and close and my heart was finally able rest easy. The moon shone into the window and I stared at it longingly, soaking up its glow like the cold chilling mid winter breeze.

I breathed in the crisp freshness letting a shiver run through me at the thought of Romeo and Juliette. If I remembered clearly, that play was a Shakespearian tragedy. Let's hope that we don't end up the way they did at the end of all this.