Chapter 1: The Girl In Red Shoes

Start from the beginning

It wasn’t long before Lauren had to leave to get ready and she had been telling me what to wear until our conversation had started. I looked at the clothes she had laid out on the bed for me.

A simple tux with a red tie. I approved of it. I took my jeans and button down shirt off and put on the tux and tie. I walked over to the mirror to make sure I had done the tie okay and my hair didn’t stand up straight, which it did.

I ruffled through my bronze brown hair with my hand as my vibrant blue eyes inspected the effect in the mirror. I was tall, if you think 7 feet is tall of course. I decided my hair wouldn’t get any better and made my way downstairs. The premiere was at 8 and now it was 6 so I ordered a pizza. By the time I was done eating it was time to leave for the theatre.

For some reason the drive over made me feel anxious and nervous, the scent I had smelled on Lauren lingered in my nostrils.

“Anna…” I whispered softly, I hadn’t realized I had said it but then found that the sound suited my lips and gave of a slight tingly feeling. I wanted to say it many more times. I felt addicted to her name and scent.

I repeated her name several times, each time a little louder and my lips wouldn’t stop tingling. As I arrived I said her name one last time before getting out of my black SUV, which I bought for the future, if I had a mate and eventually kids, I wanted something I could hit a tree with and no one would even get a scratch, if I had been able to get my hands on a tank, I would’ve used that as a car.

I went in and used my ticket to navigate myself to my seat. A bored teenager at the entrance of the hall pushed a program in my hands. On the cover was a picture of a girl visible. She wore a white tutu and bright red outstanding shoes. She stood on her toes with one foot while the other was outstretched in the air, her arms were held up gracefully. Her dark brown hair was tied in a bun on the top of her head but a few locks had managed to escape it’s grasp and fell around her face. She looked like she didn’t know the picture was being taken. Her pose and the complete feeling the picture gave of made me want to stare at it. I didn’t even have to read the book to know that this was Anna, the girl that smelled like berries and morning rain. I walked further into the hall looking for my seat. When I found it I sat down and noticed I had a perfect close view of the stage.

I was just in time I realized when I saw the curtains close and the lights above the audience turn of.

The next 3 hours were pleasure as much as torture.

Pleasure because I found my mate and she was beautiful

Torture because:

1 She was dancing in front of many men who looked at her with lust in their eyes

2 The man on stage with her looked at her the way I did, which was obviously not good

3 She was married

After the performance was over, the torture wasn’t. Anna walked out on stage in het red shoes and the white swan outfit with her husband on one arm and the male lead on the other. The first kissed her full on the mouth, the second kissed her lightly on the cheek before they bowed.

At that moment, I was ready to change into my wolf form in front of everyone and steal my mate from all the men in this room. She belonged to me as my wolf was repeatedly telling me.

The lights above the audience went on so the performers could see our applause. I saw Lauren and she looked between me and Anna with a questioning look I nodded and she knew Anna was my mate. As they went off stage and I saw Lauren approach Anna after giving me a short comforting look.

She was helping me.

About an hour later Lauren came towards me in the foyer. To my surprise, Anna was walking behind her, without her husband.

“This is my adoptive brother… well his parents adopted me, so I’m his adoptive sister? Not sure at the moment. But thanks Brenann for buying us dinner.” She said with a meaningful look, I shot one back myself.

“Have we met before?” Anna asked me with a sweet slightly creaky voice.

“No I don’t think I’ve had the pleasure.” I said and she blushed slightly.

“I’m quite sure I know you though.” She said.

“Well you might have seen me in the street somewhere.” I uttered. I hid how happy I was, she felt a slight bit of the werewolf bond. Oh crap… she wasn’t a werewolf. How was I going to do this? A married girl, a married human girl. This would have been so much easier if she had been a werewolf.

“Could be.” She said while looking like she was in deep thought.

“Where do you want to go?” I asked in general.

“I don’t care as long as it serves food.” Lauren said and I agreed.

“Anna, where would you like to eat?” I asked. She looked at me, then at Lauren and then at her shoes.

“You must promise you won’t laugh.” She said and we nodded in surprise. “I’ve never been to MacDonald’s and Geoffrey won’t let me go but I’m curious… could we go there? It’s fine if you don’t want to!” She added and then looked back at the floor. Lauren and I looked at each other for a second and then nodded at each other.

“No problem, let’s go to MacDonald’s.” I said with a gentle smile. She felt comfortable enough to ask for something she knew was a bit childish but I liked it. At the same time though, I wondered why she had never been to a MacDonald’s before. She smiled a big smile with nearly blinded me, in a good way. If there was one last thing I could see before going blind, I’d like to see that smile.

We headed to my car and I helped her get in, her frame was so small she seemed to disappear in the enormous car.

Lauren gave me a meaningful look.

We were in for a strange night.