27: Illusions

Note: Edited by Zia Westerman 12/4/2017

--

Planet: Earth

Location: Camp Jameson

A gasp left my mouth as my back collided with the wall behind me, James kissed along my jawline down to my neck. I angled my head to the side giving him more access while his hands gripped my hips before lifting me up onto his waist.

"James, I do not want to fall," I mumbled and when he chuckled against my neck it sent a wave of tingles and goosebumps through me. "What? What is so funny?" I asked as he chuckled again.

He did not answer, instead, James lifted his head from my neck and placed one hand on my bottom and the other on my right cheek. He stroked my cheekbone, his eyes finally locking with mine. "I won't let you fall, Jewels." Giving me one more quick kiss he allowed me to jump down from his waist.

"I am sorry, it's just," I inhaled closing my eyes as he continued to stroke my cheek, "I am just nervous."

"About?"

"Being your friend girl."

A smile broke out on his face as he leant his forehead against mine, he brought his bottom lip between his teeth, released it and said, "Girlfriend, you're my girlfriend, Jewels. Wow, that sounds amazing."

Through the window behind him I could see the big light beginning to disappear between the trees. "James? Where does your girlfriend sleep?"

I felt his thumb run along my bottom lip before he answered, "With me, I mean if you would like to sleep with me? As in the same bed?"

"That is fine," I responded, and his smile grew. He took my hand in his and began to lead me to the door which left the small healing room I had been staying in.

The door swung open revealing Tom who had his brows raised, arms crossed and a slight smirk on his lips, as he asked, "And where do you think you're going, James?"

"Out."

"I don't think so." Tom stood in front of us with his arms still crossed. "You might be boss but as your doctor I—"

"I don't care, I'm going." James left my side and whispered something into Tom's ear. I could not hear it fully but he said something that rhymed with trucking and that this whole building would know both his and my name by the time we were done. "Now, step out of the way, please," he said loudly, and stood back beside me.

A sigh left Tom's mouth before he said, "If you plan on doing that with the girl, do you want me to give her the pregnancy chip?"

My gaze was captured by James's whose expression I could not read. "Pregnancy chip? I did not know you had a fertilisation lab here or a hatchery."

"Huh?" Tom gave me a puzzled look.

James chuckled then said to him, "She doesn't know about the birds and the bees."

It was my time to give James a puzzled look, and I asked, "Birds and the bees? That sounds like a bedtime story you would tell a hatchling or child as you call them."

For some reason my statement caused both Tom and James to laugh, I furrowed my brows, failing to understand what was so amusing.

"Well, that's something I wouldn't tell a kid," Tom's laughter died down. "But whatever floats your boat, I guess," he said with a shrug.

"I am sorry? Floats your boat? Is that the place you truck someone?"

In the corner of my eye I could see James start laughing again but my question did not get answered because Jeremy bursts into the room, pushing Tom out of the way in the process. His hands fall to his knees as he tried to settle his heavy breathing.

"Jer? What is it?" James questioned, taking my hand in his. "What's going on?"

Jeremy straightened his body completely ignoring my presence and spoke directly to James, "Borums, bloody Borums are attacking the main gate."

"You've got to be kidding me." James sighed then looked at me. "Jewels, stay—"

"No."

"Jewels, please, stay here." He tried to push me back towards the bed but I shook my head taking a step around him. He gripped my wrist with his hand and pulls me to him. "I can't see you hurt, please, Jewels."

"No," I repeated pulling my hand from his grip and walked around Jeremy then Tom. "This place is my home just as much as yours, unless you see me as the enemy like Lucy does," I spat before exiting the room.

As I exited the room she stood before me.

I felt my jaw drop open, I rubbed my eyes and muttered, "No, no!" My eyes landed on a gun hanging on a wall, I reached for it and held it in front of me. "You are not real!"

"But I am."

"No! This is an illusion." I aimed the weapon at her chest. "You are not real," I repeated, tears forming in my eyes and a tug at my chest. "No! No! No!" I said over and over.

"Jewels?"

I blinked. "What?" Blinking again the woman who once stood before me was replaced by Jeremy. "W-where did she go?"

"Who, Jewels?" he questioned me, his face holding concern. "Look, I don't know who you think you saw but—"

A loud explosion rocked the building and ground beneath us followed by yelling.

I trailed Jeremy outside. "Where is James?"

"Your boyfriend is getting his bandages changed," he said bitterly, not making eye contact with me.

"Jewels."

I spun around looking for her, but I could not see her.

"This way, come to the main gate."

"Jeremy." When I looked to where Jeremy once stood, he was gone.

"Come to me, I am alive."

I felt my feet begin to move regardless of my attempt to stop them, each step getting faster and soon I was running.

"That's it, come."

"Jewels, wait!" I turned my head to see James sprinting behind me but I did not stop, I could not stop. "Hey!"

My feet carried me towards the black smoke rising in the darkening sky, towards the main gate.

"I am waiting."

I came to a halt when James wrapped his arms around me, we tumbled to the ground, his body covering mine. "Get off me! I must see her!"

"Who? Who do you see?" James pinned me, I tried to push him off but my attempts failed. "Speak to me, babe, who are you seeing?"

I turned my head in the dirt, people were running towards the burning gate, but there amongst the smoke and orange glow from the flames was when I saw her.

"Mother."  

***

Oh, look another update......... You know I just love writing this book lol 

Next chapter update: When the previous chapters reach 60 reads, 15 votes and 10 comments