21. Lighthouses Can Be Dark

Start from the beginning

Her phone buzzed in her pocket, taking her attention away from her now damp hair and the fact that she was on the run. The text from Ricky being the one thing that was keeping her sane. Otherwise, she was sure she would go crazy.

Almost to Florida

Jasmine squeezed her eyes shut as she continued walking along the thin sidewalk, avoiding those aimlessly walking around at this hour. It was almost eleven thirty. The sky was pitch black, leaving the street lamps quite the job. At least she had found her way to Main Street.

The people walking gave her a sense of feeling normal that she hadn't felt for the longest time. She had been such a shut-in for the last few months, she didn't know what it would feel like when she was to leave Shane. Normal, was something that Shane had deprived her of for so long now. She could barely remember who she was before all of this. Now, she was simply a kidnap victim with no sense of direction.

There was a loud bell ringing off at the end of the street, causing many people to stop and watch as it rang the time along with the clock. She was wrong in saying it was half past eleven. Turns out, it was midnight. The bewitching hour.

Creeks sounded along with the claps of thunder that continued to ring throughout the sky, leaving her feeling more ominous than anything else. A bright light flashed in the distance, something different than the lightning she had been witnessing since she had landed. There was a lighthouse only a matter of minutes from where she stood. Where else should she spend her time in waiting for Ricky?

Jasmine nodded to herself as she charged on, forgetting the rain, thunder, and anything else as she made her way closer and closer to the lighthouse. The lights faded as she left behind the busy city, somehow finding herself stuck within the many trees. Only making it harder for her to find her way.

She stumbled over the roots of the tall trees, glancing down to see her boots covered in sand. Only in Florida would she had pictured this happening. She kept on, forcing herself to continue despite her lack of breath. She needed to get to a shelter fast if she was going to throw off Shane for a little while longer.

Jasmine squinted, holding her hand just a bit above her eyes to block them from the wind tossing sand from side to side. She had somehow made it to the lighthouse untouched. Shocker.

She shook her head, running for the closed door and throwing it open. She swiftly made her way inside the small bottom portion of the lighthouse. She was half surprised it was open, but she was willing to deal with that later on. As she turned around to take a glimpse at what laid out before her, all she could see was darkness.

As the light on top of the house flashed from side to side, she could vaguely make out a stairwell, one that looked to old for any sort of use as of now. Off towards the back, stood a brick wall that was gray with dust. This place must have been around since lighthouses were invented.

Jasmine's heart skipped a beat as the door flew open, causing the girl to lunge behind the stairwell. She waited, holding her breath as she watched the figure slam the door shut behind, who looked to be a boy about her age. It could be Ricky.

The boy took out his phone, flipping on the flashlight as he flashed it around the small room. Jasmine caught his eye for only a second before he shook his head and made his way to the stairwell. The front of the stairwell, mind you.

He walked with heavy footsteps up the metal stairs, walking slowly as he checked every nook and cranny. Jasmine let out a small breath, quickly sucking in another one before his eyes darted back down to where she was hiding.

"My flower?" He echoed throughout the lighthouse. The two words sending Jasmine's heart plummeting into her stomach. This was the only thing she had feared. The one thing she had most wished to not happen. Somehow, it was happening. "I know you're in here." He tried again, continuing to slowly make his way up the stairs.