I took a bite from my diced pineapple. "My brother came home from New York, and I wanted to see him. But anyway - what happened yesterday?" I encouraged her to go on with her story.

"The whole school was in an uproar. Some people believe that you and Baylor are in this secret relationship." At that, Jo wiggled her eyebrows and I scowled.

"Shut up," I laughed lightly.

Jo giggled, "I can't wait for y'all's first kiss. Wait, y'all might've already had y'all's first kiss."

"Jo, shut up," I sternly scolded. Her laughter carried on and I crossed my arms while she carried away with her own beliefs. I looked at her and mocked her, "Y'all this, and y'all that!" I laughed. I took a bite of pineapple.

"Baylor and I have nothing in common. We're complete opposites. Besides, he's my brother's best friend."

Jo rolled her eyes and sighed. "I think it's better to have practically nothing in common than having a lot of things in common. I think it's good to have differences, so you won't get bored. You'll learn new interests and put them together. Besides, opposites attract, right?" Jo quizzed.

"That saying is so cliché. And besides, we're way out of each other's league. He has a type. And, well, I've never had a boyfriend before."

At that she gasped. "You've never had a boyfriend before, yet you're one of the most beautiful girls in school?! These guys have no taste in girls whatsoever. And you know he has a type, or you think he has a type?" she quizzed, joking halfway.

"I . . . know." She noticed my hesitation and began laughing away. I stood up, packing up my things and throwing my bookbag over my shoulder.

"I have to go. Sit here and laugh away, I know he has a type." She couldn't resist herself from having a chuckling fit. I dumped my tray and headed towards break.

It's not that I was mad, I was just being the stubborn person I am and was brief to deny anything. I know Baylor has a type - all boys do. Baylor wants someone who's exactly like him. Experienced at many things. Someone who has big boobs and a big butt. Someone who has a perfect body and perfect hair twenty-four/seven. Nice, expensive, and brand-named clothes. That's the vibe I get from him. He wants more than I am. He doesn't want me in general, I'm just saying - I'm nothing compared to the kind of girl he wants.

"Adalynne, wait!" Jo exclaimed. I turned around to see a short figure running after me. I stopped on the sidewalk, waiting for her to catch up.

"Did I make you mad? I'm sorry if I - " she asked, but I interrupted her.

"No," I smiled reassuringly. "You didn't make me mad." She giggled, and we walked towards the picnic tables.

"You're very stubborn. You don't like being told what's true, do you?" Her southern accent rang through the silent air.

"I know I'm stubborn," I smiled and laughed. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. At first, I thought it was a text message, but it continued vibrating repeatedly.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and looked at the caller ID while I sat across from Jo on the picnic table's bench.

"Ooh, is that lover boy?" Jo wiggled her eyebrows.

Aiden.

"No, it's my brother, Aiden."

"Hello?" I answered.

"What are you doing?" Aiden asked.

"Sitting with Jo at break. What are you doing?" I began playing with my zipper on my bookbag. I tend to do awkward things when I'm on the phone.

"Sitting in the waiting area at the hospital. Baylor woke up about an hour ago. The doctors called me and said he needed me up here, so I'm up here."

"Well, is he okay? Where's his parents?" I looked at Jo who was already looking at me with a crooked eyebrow. Her expression was questioning. Dammit, I have some explaining to do. I couldn't just dodge her already planned questions that I know she's dying to know.

"In Boston."

"Oh, so he lives on his own?" I guessed. I always thought he lived with his parents or his mom or dad. Not alone, though.

"Yeah, he's old enough. He's eighteen. How old did you think he was? Sixteen?" He chuckled shortly, and noise was heard in the background.

"Well, no one tells me anything anymore, so . . ." I half lied. He gasped.

"Oh, shut up. I tell you everything."

I giggled, "I know," I admitted.

"Alright, well I gotta go. The doctors told me Baylor needed me, so I should go. Love you."

"Love you, too."

"I'm not even going to ask what's going on, all I know is it's got something to do with your lover boy."

"Stop saying that!" I snapped, jokingly though. She laughed, knowing she was getting under my skin.

"Y'know, I wish my sister and I were as close as you and your brother. We fight all the time."

I smiled, "Me and Aiden? We fight a lot too. It's just a bit more complicated."

"Why is it so complicated?" Jo asked.

"Because I live with him. My parents passed away, so we live together now."

She frowned, and her facial expression turned sour. "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have asked." Her tone was sympathetic, like she felt bad.

"No, it's fine. Really, it is," I assured.

Her lips curled up into a smile and she wrapped her fingers around my arm. It feels like I've known Jo forever, and I know I can trust her.

"How old is your brother?" Jo questioned.

"Nineteen. He's very mature for his age, though. He had to grow up quickly." I laughed mentally at the 'mature for his age' part. Well, he can be. He does play around a lot; he should be able to have that little ten-year-old child in him, he should have fun instead of him having to grow up so fast and unexpectedly. He's been more of an adult than a child or a teenager.

I began scrolling through my phone, trying to find a picture of Aiden. I knew I had one on my camera roll, but out of over a thousand pictures, it's hard to spot it.

"Here, this is what he looks like." Jo tilted the screen and stared at the screen for what seemed like over a minute.

"Dang, he's buff!" she exclaimed.

"What are you doing? Showing the new girl yours and Baylor's sex tape?" A tall, tan boy yelled and began laughing with his friends.

I scoffed, and Jo flipped him off.

"Right back 'atcha babe," he hollered back.

"I guess it is true. I don't know why rumors go around like that. First, we're in this 'secret relationship,'" I air-quoted, "and now we've had sex? Oh please, why don't they tell me more things about me that I've never known." I laughed. Rumors never, well, most of the time, go around the school about me. It's always the people who are in the prep-crowd and want attention just for the heck of it.

Jo and I split up and I headed to the history hall, the second to the last class of the day. Finally.