Chapter Thirty-Two : Feet

"The human soul is a treacherous place

Beneath the mask we wear a dark and twisted labyrinth laid

Secrets locked and closets closed never surface 

While we keep composed come out of hiding"

Sam

37 weeks before Mesi woke up...

I untied my shoes, toeing them off and started pulling off the sweaty blue socks that were soaked in mud. Soccer practice had been cold and wet, but Coach insisted on having it outdoors.

"Hey, Sam!" I heard someone call out.

I didn't bother looking up from where I was struggling with my right sock that was stuck over my heel. "What's up?"

There was the sound of steps behind me, and the feeling of someone plopping down on the bench. "I was wondering if you could give me a ride home?"

Finally, I managed to release my foot from the hold of the blue sock, and glanced over at the person talking to me. Gabe. "Yeah, um, sure. I just have to stop at Mesi's quickly to give her something she left at my house."

"Aww, man," Gabe groaned. "Can't you just go to her house after you drop me off?"

I chuckled, typical Gabe. I was stuffing my practice jersey into my bag when I said,"Her house is on the way to yours, so no. Just be happy I agreed to drive you and get over it."

I heard Gabe grumble something under his breath as he went to his locker, but just rolled my eyes in return. He could be such a kid at times.

...

"I'll just be a minute," I said, shutting the car door behind me and turning to talk to Gabe through the open window.

"Whatever, just be quick. It's freezing in here!"

I grabbed Mesi's jacket out of the back seat, and jogged up the steps to her front door. It wasn't long after ringing the bell that I was greeted by her mom.

"Oh, hello, Sam. I didn't know you were coming over. Mesi's just in the living room," she turned to point over her shoulder in the direction of the living room,"doing her homework."

I shook my head and gave her a smile. "Oh, well, I just came by to return the jacket she left at my house. If she's busy I don't want to disturb her, so could you just give this to her—"

"I'm not busy." I looked behind Mrs. Markham at Mesi, who was leaning against the wall with her arms folded as if she was about to scold me for not letting her know I was coming over.

Mrs. Markham tried to keep the smile off her face and failed miserably. "I'll just, uh," she laughed,"leave you two alone."

Once she'd left, Mesi stepped towards me. She looked me up and down like she was inspecting me or something. "What?" I eventually asked, weirded out.

"Nothing," she dismissed,"just making sure you're alright."

I gave her a look that repeated my last question.

She sighed. "You've been...odd lately. Something's been off about you. I'm not sure what, so I just wanted to make sure you're okay. Are you okay?"

I reached up to scratch my nose. "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm fine." Then, realizing how caring she was being, I added,"You don't need to worry about me, Mesi. I'm all good," with a kiss on the cheek.