Chapter Six : Good For You

Sam

50 weeks before Mesi woke up...

I stared down at her. Mesi was lying with her head on my lap as we watched her favorite disney movie, The Little Mermaid. She said that we were like Eric and Ariel, because we'd met in the ocean by chance, even though I wasn't drowning and she wasn't a mermaid. She explained that that was not the point, and didn't matter when it came down to it. I loved that she saw us like that, like an epic love story put together by fate. That's how I wanted to see us, too. Not that I loved her yet. I'd only known her for about two and a half weeks. But I could tell that it was a possibility for the future.

She was breathtaking, illuminated by the light of the TV. Colors danced across her face as the scenes changed, and each time it lit up her features in a new and different way. It was like there were undiscovered planes on her face that I'd yet to memorize. But I would sure as hell try. There wasn't a single thing about her that I didn't want to commit to memory.

"No!" Mesi shouted at the screen, throwing some popcorn at it. It was the climax of the movie, where Eric almost married the evil sea witch. We both knew it would be a happy ending, but that didn't keep Mesi from throwing a fit, screaming about how Ariel had to stop them.

I laughed, seeing her so riled up. It was cute how she got like that, so worked up over things she knew would turn out alright in the end.

Mesi craned her head to look up at me. "What? Why are you laughing? Eric's about to marry Ursula!" Her cheeks were flushed with passion.

"Nothing," I smiled. "Don't worry about it."

"No, tell me." Mesi reached for the remote and paused the movie, indicating that she wouldn't start it again, unless I told her what I was thinking.

I crossed my arms over my chest, nonverbally replying that I wasn't talking. It wasn't like I didn't want her to know that I'd been admiring her, but I liked holding information she wanted.

"Come on," she whined, pulling my arms towards her. Her face was inches from mine. "Just tell me," she whispered. We were so close, I could feel her breath as she talked, leaving tingles on my skin.

I grinned like an idiot, but still I kept my mouth shut tight.

I could see Mesi starting to get frustrated. "Fine," she growled, starting to turn away from me again. But before she got the chance, I grabbed her arm and pulled her into me.

She let out a gasp as my lips found hers, and it felt like the first time all over again. The space left between our bodies felt suffocating, so I wrapped an arm around her waist and pressed her up against my chest. The movie long forgotten, her hands reached up to my hair, tangling it in her fingers. My hands stayed firm on her waist, keeping her balanced on my lap.

Slowly, I moved my kisses downwards, tracing her jawline, and then her neck and collar bone. A strangled moan left her lips, causing me to smile as I continued. I pushed down the straps of her tank and bra, just a little so that her shoulders were bare.

Suddenly, Mesi moved away, breathing heavily. "I can't do this. Not with someone who's not my boyfriend."

My stomach sank. We weren't official yet. She didn't want me to kiss her anymore. I spiraled into thoughts of never kissing her again. I didn't know if I could live that like, never again tasting her lips on mine. She was like a drug, and it only took one kiss for me to be addicted.

Mesi took her hand under my chin, lifting it up so that I looked her in the eyes. "This is where you ask me to be your girlfriend, Sam."

I felt the tug of a lop-sided smile on my lips. "Mesi Connell Markham, would you be my girlfriend?"