Chapter Fourteen : Can't

Sam

46 weeks before Mesi woke up...

I raked a hand through my hair, taking deep breaths as I tried to calm down. I was shaking. On some level, I was aware of this. On some level, I must have known how broken, how distraught I looked. On some level I knew I appeared every bit of a wreck as I felt.

Mesi held on to my back, doing her best to comfort me. Her hand moved in gentle circles, her lips cooing in my ear like a mother to her child. Her cheek was pressed to mine, her hair tangled in mine, her eyes closed next to mine.

I hadn't been to school in forever. I couldn't remember what day it was. What year it was. Was time even existent anymore? Did it even matter?

He was waking up.

Ryan was waking up.

He was going to be all right.

The tears I shed were not sorrowful, but happy, joyful. It was the best day of my life, the day I found out my brother would stay with me even a day more. I was grateful to every god and deity ever thought up for bringing him back to me. Back to the world.

Graham was hugging him as he came to, groaning and blinking as his eyes adjusted to the harsh hospital lighting.

A hint of a smile played over Ryan's features as he asked,"What did I miss?"

My mom, my dad, Alex, Graham and I all let out half-hearted laughs. We were all just so glad to have him back, it didn't even matter that we'd spent the past week yelling, screaming, crying, fighting, begging and praying. None of it was of any consequence because Ryan was awake.

"Never thought you'd cry for me, Sam."

I let a grin fall on my face. "What are you talking about? I'm just upset that you came to."

Ryan rolled his eyes, knowing I was merely joking.

My dad clapped his hands, getting everyone's attention. "What do you say we have a big celebration dinner tonight? Whatever you want, Ryan."

The rest of us whooped and hollered, thankful to have something to celebrate about. It was exponentially better than the other side of the coin.

Just then, Xander ran in with the doctor on his heels. We'd sent him to fetch Dr. Collins when we first noticed Ryan stirring.

After checking his vitals, Dr. Collins wrote a few things on Ryan's chart and turned to my parents. "I think he'll be good to go home tonight. He looks to be healthy as a horse."

Xander patted me on the back, being the only one who knew just how upset I really was when I found out Ryan was in a coma. He was the only one who ever seemed to really understand me completely. I guess that's why he was my best friend.

Mesi pecked me on the lips, sharing in the joy of it all. If anyone, she came closest to Xander in terms of getting me. Good thing too, considering we were dating.

"So what do you want to eat?" I asked my brother.

Ryan put a shit-eating smile on. "I say we get...Indian."

...

A couple hours later I found myself sitting at our dining room table, doing my best to find something to eat. Let's just say that Indian food was not my favorite.

I had my suspicions as to why Ryan chose it.

We got to talking about college. One of my first choices of conversation. Not.