An Adventure Awaits

Start from the beginning

All the other dwarves laugh and I see Bilbo's face fall in embarrassment "I believe he can make a great burglar...." I mumble. Soon all the dwarves turn in my direction including Thorin. I gasp slightly as Thorin's eyes lock with mine.

He steps forward "You believe? And what is it you believe in, girl?"

I glance over to Bilbo who looks back at me. I smile "Him. I believe in him." 

The other dwarves mumble amongst themselves giving me odd glances.  Kili and Fili smile at me nodding in approval along with Balin. I look back to Thorin who seems to smile slightly in an amused sort of way "Hmmm." he breathes and then turns along with the others to the table. 

As Thorin ate and the others ate more I sit in the kitchen listening to their conversations. Balin is the first to speak "What news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?" 

Thorin nods "Aye. Envoys from all seven kingdoms." 

Many of them murmur in approval. I then hear Dwalin's gruff voice "What do the dwarves of the Iron Hills say? Is Dain with us?" 

Everything is silent and still as they await an answer as do I. Thorin speaks regrettably "They will not come." The sighs scream disappointment and I furrow my brow in confusion as to what they are talking about.

 "They say this quest is ours, and ours alone." Thorin finishes. Bilbo is on the other side of the room at the open hole walking over "You're going on a quest?" 

Gandalf looks back "Bilbo, my dear fellow, let us have a little more light." 

Bilbo lights another candle as Gandalf reaches in his pocket pulling out a map. "Far to the East, over ranges and rivers, beyond woodlands and wastelands, lies a single solitary peak."

 I look closer and see the words written on the map Gandalf spreads out "The Lonely Mountain." Oin scoots closer to the table "Ravens have been seen flying back to the mountain as it was foretold: When the birds of yore return to Erebor, the reign of the beast will end." 

I stand next to Bilbo and I furrow my brow "What beast?"

Bofur glances at me "Well that would be a reference to Smaug the Terrible, chiefest and greatest calamity of our age. Airborne fire­-breather, teeth like razors, claws like meathooks, extremely fond of precious metals­­" 

Bilbo nods "Yes, we know what a dragon is." 

I freeze and shift my eyes "Dragon?!"  

Ori then stands up quickly "I'm not afraid! I'm up for it. I'll give him a taste of the Dwarvish iron right up his jacksie." 

Many dwarves shout and cheer. Fili seems to laugh. Balin sighs "The task would be difficult enough with an army behind us. But we number just thirteen, and not thirteen of the best, nor brightest."  

All the dwarves get in an uproar "Who ya callin' dim?!" Kili shouts. 

"Watch it!" Bofur exclaims shoving another chicken leg in his mouth.  

Fili holds up his fist and collides it with the table "We may be few in number, but we're fighters, all of us, to the last dwarf!"

Kili nods "And you forget, we have a wizard in our company. Gandalf will have killed hundreds of dragons in his time."

The wizard shrugs "Oh, well, now, uh, I­I­I wouldn't say that.­" 

I smile curiously "You've killed dragons Gandalf?"