» [2] Mr. Malik «

september 2:

And he continued walking, even when I stopped. My feet were planted firm against the cement ground and I stared at him, eyebrows furrowing together in confusion.

"There you are!" I turned around and saw Gina walking over, a bottle of soda in her right hand.

I held my hands out. "Yeah, here I am."

"God, I went around the back side of the campus, and then walked around our dorm buildings, and oh god. I just did so much walking--wait." She looked around with wide eyes. "Where's Mel?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, figured she'd be with you."

Gina was that person who liked things to be organized and things to go exactly her way. But today, it seemed, she didn't care much about the idea. "Okay well, we have to go to class--so you were just standing here by yourself?" She began walking and I followed her, staying by her side.

"No, I was talking to some guy--"

"Some guy?" She interrupted. "You have Tristan remember?"

I hit her arm. "I wasn't flirting. I was just talking to him--"

"Are you making this up?"

"No. But he was really weird..."

_____

My first class was painting, which was quite a pain in the ass to find because it was on the other side of the campus. So I walked in obviously late, and the professor, an average looking man who seemed nice enough, noticed me before all of the students did.

"And who do we have here?"

All eyes were on me. I took a breath and looked directly at the professor. "I'm Maci Holmes."

"Well, Ms. Holmes, I don't tolerate tardiness in this class--"

"I got lost, sorry."

"And neither do I tolerate interruption. Will this happen again?"

"No." I replied grimly.

"Very well. Go stand by the students."

I stared at him for a second before directing my gaze to everyone else.

And holy crap.

I actually wanted to laugh. One, because he was the first person I laid eyes on, other than the professor, and two, that he was in this class. Talk about a coincidence.

I walked past the professor and towards the large group of students who looked at me quietly. I stood by him, providing ten inches of space between us.

"What are you doing here?" He asked quietly.

Oh, I came in here for the heck of it. "It's one of my classes. I have to be here, sorry to disappoint you." I said, watching the professor walk back and forth between the packages of new paint brushes on his desk, and the new bottles of paint by the canvases.

"You sure you aren't following me?"

"I have no reason to follow you."

"Didn't seem like it earlier."

I exchanged glances from the teacher to the ground, staring hard at the white tile floors that reflected the lights on the ceiling.

And then I turned to him.

"What's with you?"

He stared straight ahead. "Nothing."

I glanced at his jawline, and saw the little small dark hairs that stuck out of his tan skin. "If you have a problem with me, just tell me."