XXVI

When the feeling of the morning heat arose over the horizon the company had never been so relieved. They were all exhausted from the endless torment and paranoia that last night had brought upon them. The chilling cries faded with the light as Em and Dastan were both panting tiredly with their backs against the stone wall.

"It's morning" Dastan panted as he groaned and rose up to his feet before holding out a hand for Em. Smiling slightly she accepted his offer as he helped her to her feet as she dusted off the dirt from the back of her pants. Neither paid much attention to the fact he still held her soft hand within his until a loud squawk echoed throughout the hollow halls.

"What the?"

"You lied to me!" Em cried out betrayed as she pushed him away making him stumble in confusion.

"Em?" He questioned as she used her remaining energy to run in the direction of the courtyard.

"Em!" He shouted out as he gasped at the sight. King Barclay and his men were busy tying down the dragon with enchanted chains as his resistance made them glow a fluorescent red making him cry out in pain as Em ran down the stairs crying out. Shoving the men out of the way she went to draw nearer to the wounded beast before a pair of arms grabbed hold of her forearms holding her back as she tried to resist against the two men.

"No STOP! STOP!" She cried out as her heart felt heavy, as the necklace around her neck grew heavier to his discomfort as the dragon gave a sad moan before collapsing on the ground and barely moving. Releasing her she flung herself towards the beast as it moaned once more recognising her as she stroked its roughneck before glaring in the direction of King Barclay.

"King Barclay? Sire, what are you doing here?" Dastan questioned in a low hiss as they both glanced in the direction of Em who was storming in their direction. Neither expected her sudden slap across the King's face as he snarled and raised his hand as a pair of chains entrapped her wrists dragging her to her knees before them as she was fuming and breathing deeply through her nose.

"Well if it isn't the little thorn in my side" King Barclay snarled down at her as she continued to glare at him. She couldn't even look towards Dastan as his betrayal hit her heart making her necklace heavier and darker as he remained confused and betrayed himself of the trickery of the whole mission. Cyrena's words rung through Em's mind. "Not everything is what it seems", had the witch foreseen this? Spitting in the King's direction he was quick to slap her.

"NO!" Dastan roared ready to leap forward.

"Restrain him!" Barclay commanded as Męrt and Tœm were quick to pounce and hold Dastan's arms behind his back. From the corner of his eye Dastan could see Quarin dragging Edvard out into the courtyard with a dagger pressed against his throat.

"It's been too long since we've been in each other's company Emerald." The King sneered whilst holding up Em's jaw towards him. She went to bite his fingers causing him to recoil.

"Not long enough Zal-Kath!" She hissed causing Dastan and Edvard's heart to drop.

"Zal-kath!" They cried out horrified. The colour drained from their faces as they realised that this entire quest had been a trap.

"You always spoil my fun darling and now I will spoil yours. Dastan! You have done a marvellous job." Zal-Kath sneered before walking over and patting Dastan on the back. The King smirked seeing Em's face pale as she glanced between the two men.

"What?" She whispered.

"Yet you failed to destroy the stone like I asked!" Zal-Kath snarled angrily at the man in front of him. Dastan tried to squirm against Męrt and Tœm's grip but they wouldn't budge.

"This was not what we agreed!" Dastan snapped making Em's eyes harden.

"You betrayed me!" She shouted angrily trying to fight against the chains that held her captive. She was ready to murder. Zal-Kath nodded towards Gwaine as he held her forearms behind her to keep her in place. Em didn't care that the chains were burning her skin or draining her energy, she was furious. At Dastan but mostly herself.

"Your payment is already settled. You will find your sister perfectly healthy when you return." Zal-Kath waved his hand.

"You were the one who made her sick!" Dastan snapped hating the man before him even more.

"Of course! Your name was in that prophecy and I needed you to get me into the Kingdom!" He growled which made Dastan paused. Apparently, the King hadn't been as stupid as they had hoped. He knew about Dastan's name in the prophecy.

"You planned this from the very beginning" Dastan growled causing Zal-Kath to chuckle loudly. A mischevious glint in his eye.

"He knew I wouldn't have led anyone into my Kingdom without pure intentions. He attacked the one thing in your life that he knew I had a soft spot for. Family!" Em shouted trying to leap forward but had Gwaine hold her back.

"And hasn't it fell into place perfectly?" Zal-Kath cheered darkly. Dastan knew that if Em was a dragon she would have smoke coming out of her ears and nose. He had never seen her so cross to the point where her body was starting to glow.

"Now Emerald, be a good little Princess and take me to your father's grave," Zal-Kath spoke to her in a childish tone. She merely glared as he bent down to be eye level with her.

"Never!" She spat. He recoiled wiping away the spit from under his eye in anger.

"Very well, tie her up with the beast!" He ordered as Gwaine did as he was told. He watched as the chains around her wrist magically connected with the ones holding the dragon down. Em tried to comfort the beast whilst Gwaine shoved her to the ground. Turning around, Zal-Kath smirked as he glanced at Edvard and Dastan. He stormed into the castle, snapping his fingers as Męrt and Tœm dragged Dastan along. Edvard was also pushed inside as they were dragged down towards the tombs that resided under the palace.