IV

The afternoon was beginning to set, as Dastan slowly trudged down the cobbled streets towards an old cottage. It was slightly excluded from the rest of the main village, closer to the edge of the woods, hidden between the trees. Dastan had tried to prevent the inevitable, by fetching fresh water from the village well.

Sighing as he glanced at the large stock of cut firewood, he knew that his sister and Kaithi would survive throughout the winter. Placing one bucket down he slowly eased open the door and stuck his head in. Noticing the empty room he ducked his head in the doorframe before depositing the two fresh buckets of water beside the door.

"Kaithi?" Dastan called out whilst dusting off his hands. Hearing a slight yelp from the kitchen he rounded the corner to see Kaithi panting with her hand over heart. Glaring at the young man he sheepishly smiled whilst she waved her wooden spoon in his direction.

Kaithi was a widow of forty and hadn't had the gift of childbearing. She kept Isadora company and took comfort in taking care of the child as if she were her own. Her brown hair was decorated in a tight braid and white flowers, most likely done by Isadora.

Her old brown clothed kirtle had patches around the hem and sleeves, showing it's age. They didn't have the luxury of buying new frocks each season. She kept a small apron around her waist to minimize the dirt on her skirt, though she often forgot she wore it.

"You should know better than to scare me!" She snapped before placing both of her rough hands against his cheeks. Pulling him down to her level, he was merely bowing for her to place a big kiss on his forehead.

"Is Isadora asleep?" He softly questioned whilst Kaithi merely shrugged and returned to her mixing bowl. Moving to the back room, which was shielded by a simple cloth, Dastan brushed it aside to see his sister lying upright. Dastan could see she was paling, that a small line of sweat trailed down her neck as he knelt down beside her.

Slowly taking her hand in his, he soothingly rubbed her palm like he did every day. She shifted under the thick furs to glance at her brother with a weakened smile. He brushed his palm against her forehead, relieved there were no signs of a fever.

"You didn't come home" She yawned as he gave her a brave smile.

"Edvard and I have been working on something for the King. We're going to make you better Isadora" He promised as she shook her head. She didn't want to believe in false hopes. The Gods had made her ill, she wasn't meant to get better.

"I'm going a trip tomorrow" Dastan slowly spoke causing her to frown in his direction.

"For how long?" She tiredly spoke uneasily.

"I don't know how long we will be." He quickly added as he could see the panic in her eyes. Though he merely smiled, kissing her forehead in hopes to make her feel better.

"I'll be back before the snow falls" He told her, though deep down he knew he couldn't promise. He had no idea when he would return, or if he would. But he wouldn't let his sister fear for his life daily when all that wasted energy could be used to healing her.

"Do you swear?" She asked as he gulped. Nodding was the best thing he could do, he wouldn't allow the oath to slip past his lips. Watching as she smiled, her eyes closed before sleep took her. Tucking her into the furs, Dastan quietly snuck back out the room to where Kaithi was standing with her arms folded.

"How long?" She sternly spoke as he merely sighed shaking his head.

"I don't know" He answered.

"Where are you going?" She quietly demanded as he merely placed his hands behind his back.

"Asreldion" He slowly spoke as he watched the anger flood into her eyes.