XXIV

The morning air was stale and what little light came through the trees was enough for Dastan to see those around him. He was unable to tell the time, whilst walking along the forest floor but as the humidity and stickiness grew in the air, he knew it drew closer to midday.

Em carefully watched as they continued their journey throughout the forest that the soldier's eyes were being replaced with something that made him shiver in fear. She couldn't shake the feeling of another presence, another's magic lofting in the air over them.

Several times Gwaine thought he saw a path of white stone glistening to the South. He often snapped and threatened violence at the absurdity of wandering an empty trail then follow the path. Several times Em had saved him from getting himself killed. He soon began to realise what she said was true. The forest worked against your mind, making you believe illusions that could send you to your death.

Em lost track of the number of days they trailed, with Edvard's age and the soldier's constant complaints it was taking longer than it should. By the seventh day of remaining isolated in the woods, the men grew restless. Even Dastan was beginning to doubt Em knew where she was going. He ached for the warmth of the sun on his face and the summer breeze to cool his skin.

"Would you men stop bickering like old maids!" Edvard complained from up on his horse. None of the soldiers took much interest in the old man even when he kicked the back of Quarin's head for attention. They all threatened to murder him in his sleep, though it never stopped his bickering.

"I'd like to get to the waterfall and drink!" He huffed causing them all to fall silent. Em smiled brightly turning to the old man with relief.

"Waterfall? What waterfall? I think this place has gone to your head" Quarin snapped rubbing the back of his head with discomfort. Dastan frowned and strained to listen only to hear the soft rush of water. He was the first to dash through the bushes with the others calling out to him. He had never been so happy to see water in all his life.

The small pool at the bottom of the waterfall never seemed to overflow. It's crystal clear waters sang out in peace as he knelt down on the bank, cupping his hands to taste the sweet water. He paused and took another sip to realise the water was actually sweet, as though sugar had been added.

As the men all cheered, filling up their skins and splashing each other none noticed Em as she made her way to the edge of the stone. Her fingers brushing the smooth surface allowing a small spark to flow through her fingers. A small lock formed out of the stone the shape of her necklace around her neck. Gently pulling it out from under her tunic she pressed the gem into the wall, before hiding it from sight.

The men all jumped to their feet when they felt the earth shake a bit. Only a small tremor but enough for them to draw their swords on guard. Em quickly dashed back to Dastan's side before he could notice she had disappeared as solid platforms of white stone formed in the pool leading inwards. The all gasped and watched in awe as the water parted, creating a curved gateway.

The water continued to glide around the new gateway as though it had always been there before. Runes were inscribed along the top in silver as white crystals swirled around the edges. They all stood in complete shock, wondering who would dare enter first. They could see straight through the doorway to the stone of the waterfall behind it. Was it another magical trick of the forest to deceive them?

Em smirked, drawing up her hood around her face before walking forwards. She felt weightless, walking on water as the stones happily took her weight. Glancing over her shoulder at the men she chuckled.

"We've come this far haven't we?" She teased before entering through without a concern. She vanished without a trace causing the men to start to mutter amongst themselves. Some didn't know if this portal would lead them to their deaths. Dastan slowly placed his sword back in its scabbard and walked forwards.

Testing the tiles to ensure he wouldn't fall in he made his way towards the gate. He had come this far, was he ready to turn back home and give up?

"Out of my way boy!" Edvard grumbled shoving him to the side and storming straight through without a worry. Dastan knew now that Edvard had vanished he had to retrieve the old man. Without another thought, he walked on through to find himself on the edge of the forest. Yet their trunks were pure white with sleeves of bright green, blues, oranges and pinks.

Em waited for all the men to follow before smiling brightly towards the drawbridge before them. The white stone was neighboured with vines streaming through it towards a tall castle. The ancient walls that surrounded the inner castle, decrepit and overgrown with vines. The castle itself was made of pure white marble and in perfect condition, yet the stone looked grey and lifeless. Obvious that it has been empty for centuries.

"Welcome gentleman to Asreldion"