XVI

Scorching heat beat against their necks from the sun above them. There was no wind, causing it to heat like an oven. It had been a few hours since they had left Cyrena's home. The screeches of birds in the distance made them flinch uneasy. Em stormed ahead in the front, whilst Dastan grumbled at the back of the line. They had argued about the direction to follow since re-entering the forest.

Asreldion was North and Dastan was reluctant to be strayed away from the original path. Em had ensured them that they needed to head East and out of the Western Woods before they could attempt to find the kingdom. Dastan didn't see the logic, but when it was put to a vote Em won. Only Gwaine voted with Dastan, even Edvard trusted the woman's judgement of his.

Em was able to track their way East but following the trickling water trail that flowed against the ground. It soon became a small river, but it was enough to keep track of. They tried to keep themselves closest to the bank as much as possible. It soon grew larger and larger until a clear divide was shown between the two kinds of woods.

Dastan noticed the trees in the Eastern wood looked healthier. It has a strong scent of flowers and pollen. The nymphs took pride in protecting the Eastern Wood, unlike the West, which was festered with dark creatures. The river soon split in two as the one along the West curved back into the forest. Em knew there was a crossing further ahead as she leads them back into the woods. As they slowly trudged up a steep rocky terrain the woods went quiet.

"Something's not right" Em muttered causing all the men to pause and draw their weapons. Letting out a pained cry, Dastan clutched his left shoulder to see an arrow poking through.

"Dastan!" Em cried out as the howls around them echoed. A Selvoth closest to Dastan leapt in his directions. His claws digging into his torso ready for the kill. Letting an arrow fly from her bow it pierced the beast between the eyes. Dastan was on the ground, pressing tightly against his bleeding wound, pain flooding his face.

The sound of a few men cried rang out as Em knew the Selvoth were slowly picking them off one by one. She skidded beside Dastan and struggled to lift him to his feet. Blood soaked through his fingers as he glanced up to see another Selvoth pounce in their direction.

Ducking under the beasts swing, Em slipped out her dagger and angled it through its jaw. The beast tried to remove it from its skin, its claws briefly scratching her skin. With a harsh yank, a sickening crunch sounded before it fell to the floor.

"Come on Dastan, help me out here!" Em groaned slipping his arm over her shoulder. She slowly muttered a spell under breath to try and help with the bleeding.

"RUN!" Gwaine shouted to the remainder of his men whilst the Selvoth feasted on the five fallen soldiers. Gwaine ran beside Em and assisted with carrying Dastan along with them. He winced with every step they took but he refused to become one of the demons next meal. The two muscular brother Męrt and Tœm ran beside them, swords drawn to provide them with extra protection.

As they started to run downhill, they noticed up ahead a wood carved bridge with vines twirled for railings. They took this as a good sign and crossed over without a second thought into the Eastern Wood. Hearing the thundering pound of paws they turned to see the wolves drawing nearer to the bridge.

"Forgive me" Em muttered hoping the nearby nymphs would accept her apology. Allowing a ball of green to rise from the palm of her hand she raised it, firing it in the direction of the bridge. As it exploded causing the bridge to disintegrate the wood behind them screamed. Several of the wolves paused, but one decided to make the jump. His claws dug into the bank as the Selvoth started to claw its way up the bank. Męrt was quick to kill the beast.

"Hurry! We need to get as much distance as we can. It won't be long before the others try the same thing" Em warned as they fled into the woods. The Selvoth snorted, snarling after their prey as they continued to pace along the bank. Part of them didn't dare enter the Eastern Woods, but their commander soon put them in place. Letting out a long howl, one by one they leapt across the bank, clawing their way up to continue the chase.