XIII

The group had been travelling for four days, it had been uneventful. Though Em knew something had been following them. She felt dizzy and kept hearing a strange melody that only her ears could pick up. At night, it seemed to grow louder, taunting her, but there was nothing to see. It reminded her of a sirens call. They were dark and dangerous creatures, which made her extremely anxious.

One day when they were all walking silently, Em ahead with Dastan and Gwaine beside her, she paused, blinking trying to see. Her throat was burning as was her nose from fumes. The odour was strong like vinegar causing her to doubled over.

"I can't see" She panted, her eyes stinging as Dastan held her up on her feet until whatever it was that clouded her vision had past.

"Em?" Edvard called watching the young woman with confusion. Was she slowly going mad? She realised that she had been frozen and was now at the back of the group. She shook out of it and gave a weak smile before she followed on after the rest of them. Shadows danced beside her, as bushes moved. She kept her hand on her sword handle ready to attack. As she walked she was tripped over by something, she landed with a thud, as her ankle was going numb.

Turning round she saw a black smoke like chain grasping her right ankle. She tried to kick the smoke chain with her left food to let go, only to have the other foot gripped into a tight burning hold. She almost felt like she was being drained, before a blade cut through the smoke, as it let her go. She panted as Gwaine helped her on her feet, before pushing her forward. He grunted down at her when he walked around her, as she just held herself. The company seemed to double in her vision, laughs echoed as she would turn to the direction only to see nothing.

"Hiä ghæï lmœ ЄЂẅè Uráet. Hiä ghæï lmœ ЄЂẅè Uráet." The words sounded wrong to her ears, she didn't understand the confusing sounding words. She felt her body stop on its own accord like something else was controlling her, before Em slammed her hands over her ears crying out. This made the entire company turn around to her in a flash, shock and horrified to see her on the forest floor twitching, face scrunched up in pain.

"MAKE IT STOP!" She screamed in pain, as they all frowned. Dastan was quick to run to her side unable to think of what could be causing her such pain. His heart broke with every blood curdling scream that left her lips.

"Make it stop!" She kept pleading.

"My dear, there is nothing" Edvard frowned as Em was now on her back, face scrunched in pain, hands over her ears. But suddenly the music that was hurting Em, was beginning to come to the other's ears, it was only a soft hum, slowly getting louder.

"What is that?" Dastan asked as whilst trying to calm Em down as she was starting to hyperventilate.

"I have no idea!" Gwaine grumbled, hating the unknown. In a flash, the soldiers were all knocked off from their feet. They all groaned, trying to get up as they saw a dark figure, tall and muscular bend down and swing Em over his shoulder. She was unconscious as the figure smirked at the group and started running towards a wall of fog.

"NO!" They cried, Dastan was shocked at how desperate and surprised his cry was. They all got to their feet trying to chase the kidnapper before the fog cleared and there was no sight of Em or any tracks to suggest in which direction the kidnapper had gone. Edvard looked heartbroken, as he had to lean heavily on his staff and another of Dastan's shoulder. He had grown very fond of the young woman.

"We have to go after her!" Dastan demanded.

"We don't even know what it is we are dealing with!" Gwaine snapped trying to get Dastan to see reason. Dastan glared in his direction before marching towards him.