III

The guards outside the throne room knocked firmly on the oaken doors before pushing them open to allow Dastan and Edvard through. King Barclay's castle wasn't one for intricate detail, he was rather a man of simple tastes in comparison to his late father.

Large black stone pillars decorated the corners of the room, along with a few tapestries in between the windows. The black carpet leading up to the throne had silver threaded patterns along the edge and was beginning to show it's age. Barclay had already sent word to the seamstresses for another as he lounged in his throne that was on a raised platform.

The Kingdom's crest fell from two large banners on either side of the throne. A bold mix of red and black with silver thread outlining a howling wolf. The appearance felt threatening, yet none feared Barclay, he had a kinder soul than his late father.

"Edvard. Dastan, I hope you have good news?" King Barclay questioned after he finished signing some papers given to him by his advisors. His spirits were still high from yesterday, which was evident from the smile on his face and the tone of his voice. Dastan fiddled with his fingers behind his back uneasy, what would Edvard tell him?

He knew that the King had a harsh temper, something his family seemed to inherit, even though he kept it well under control. Dastan didn't wish to risk losing his head and spoiling his spirits from his birthday. Part of him was relieved that Edvard before hand had instructed him to leave all the talking to him. Glancing from the corner of his eye down to the old man beside him, he noticed his cool and calm appearance as they bowed towards the King.

"We have come across a partial map and prophecy that we believe will lead us to Asreldion, your highness" Edvard informed calmly.

"A partial map? How is that possible?" He questioned in confusion.

"We believe that the way will be shown. That each piece will be found throughout the journey. As you may recall your highness. The people of Asreldion were masters of keeping things secret" Edvard told him. Dastan's eyebrow quirked slightly at the half truths his friend was easily telling, part of him was rather impressed.

Feeding that pinch of information had the King hooked with interest. A partial map? He leaned forward in his throne eager to hear more as he waved his hand for Edvard to continue.

"The prophecy we came across includes your reign, sire" Edvard added making the King stiffen in his throne. King Barclay was a superstitious man, he believed in prophecies and magic. The inclusion of one's name in a prophecy was serious, it usually was the bringer of life or death. As his heart pounded he prayed it was the bringer of good tidings and blessings.

"The God's gift remains hidden from eyes, Where the immortal one lies, Upon the day one true sets forth, Will begin his journey north, The reign of a King will be tested, When faced with Zal-Kath's crest. A band of fourteen.....uh forgive me, your majesty, I don't seem to remember the rest" Edvard frowned, scratching the side of his head.

"The rest of the prophecy was smudged your highness" Dastan quickly added as Edvard nodded remembering that it had.

"It seems that someone doesn't want us to discover the fate of Asreldion." The King muttered with a slight pout. Half a prophecy meant nothing, it was only with the full meaning could one begin to decipher the importance and consequences of a quest.

Dastan's name had been written in the prophecy, he was a link to the discovery of Asreldion and if anyone were to discover the truth, Dastan's life would be at stake. Edvard wasn't going to take any chances, he knew he was one of the only people still alive who could read the ancient runes. It was a benefit that he planned to take full advantage over.

"And this partial map? Do you have it?" The King questioned slowly, looking between the two men in front of him with a raised eyebrow.

"We left it in the library for safe keeping" Edvard added once again, whilst the book in Dastan's coat pocket grew heavier. Dastan couldn't believe that he had just assisted in lying to their reigning monarch. He just prayed that Edvard knew what he was doing.

No other words were exchanged between the gentleman and the King, once he had insisted on seeing the partial map for himself. Bowing until he walked past them, they slowly turned on their heels to follow him. Dastan's palms began to sweat, they had burned the drawing from the previous night. What would they present to his majesty?

"That journal remains out of sight" Edvard whispered under his breath, it was so quiet that Dastan almost missed it. Giving a single nod Edvard's old brain began to think of a possible hoax until the saw the library door wide open. With a frown, he swore he had kept it locked before they slowly made their way down the flight of stairs.

Gasping in horror they all froze in shock. This was not how they left the library, any man who knew Edvard would know that. Books were scattered along the floor, parchment thrown around, ink bottles were smashed staining the stone. Someone had clearly been looking for the book and information regarding Asreldion's location. Quickly scurrying to where Edvard had placed the book for safe keeping, he noticed it was gone.

"It seems we aren't the only ones looking for it. Did they get the map?" The King spoke slightly fearful. Edvard quickly scrambled to a different section of the library, Dastan and the King each holding their breath before he turned back towards them with a pale face.

"I'm afraid so sire. But Dastan and I have studied it thoroughly, we can still find the second piece" Edvard informed him as the King nodded at the wise old man in front of him. Dastan slowly breathed through his nose, knowing full well that the map remained safe in his journal. They watched the King pace back and forth in deep thought whilst Edvard and Dastan took this as an opportunity to share a glance.

"There isn't time to waste. Whoever came looking for it already has a head start. I'll get a group of men ready at once. Dastan you will lead them" The King instructed.

"Sire, Edvard should come with me" Dastan informed as the old man only growled.

"I will only slow you down boy!" He snapped, whilst lowering himself into a chair.

"He can read the Ancient runes. I cannot, we will be faster with him" Dastan bargained as the King nodded in agreement.

"But sire---"

"You will join the quest Edvard" The King finalized, causing the old man to shut his mouth and sulk. The King went to leave, only to pause before beckoning Dastan out of Edvard's hearing range.

"Dastan when you find Asreldion, if you find the jewel......destroy it. It's too much power for one man to have, do you understand" The King sternly informed him as he nodded his head.

"Certainly sire. We will send word for you when we have found the library of Asreldion" Dastan promised allowing the King to smile. He patted his shoulder before stepping over and overturned chair and leaving the two men behind.

"The men will be ready by nightfall!" Barclay shouted from over his shoulder. They waited until the King had slammed the library door behind him before allowing themselves to breathe.

Dastan could see that Edvard was no longer trying to contain his joy. He bounced up and down in his seat with a large grin on his face, causing Dastan to chuckle. He knew that more than anything Edvard wished to see Asreldion with his own eyes. He also knew he would most likely lose the journal whereas the old man had never lost a thing.

"Remember Dastan, no one is to know your name is in that Prophecy" Edvard warned him under a soft whisper. Paranoid that they may be overheard by unwanted ears. He nodded in acknowledgment before the old man sighed with a cheeky grin on his face.

"You can have the pleasure of telling your sister and Kaithi why we won't be home tomorrow for supper" Edvard quickly added whilst laughing as Dastan groaned at the very thought of having to talk to Kaithi.