V

Dastan was awoken to the sunlight against his face sneaking in through the window. Hearing the soft commotion from down below in the castle courtyard he decided it would be wise to be swift in joining the company of men. Almost tripping down the final step, distracted by placing his sword on his belt he could hear Edvard.

"Yes! I need all my books! Do be CAREFUL! HANDS OFF!" Barking instructions left and right causing Dastan to chuckle. He noticed the drunken men from last night all beside their own horses with the correct supplies needed. Some showed their aches from the previous evening as Dastan made his was to the stable boy holding the reins to his stallion.

"Morning Sir, he's been groomed and fed this morning. Just the way you like it" The boy proudly smiled as Dastan ruffled his hair before taking hold of the reins himself. Gwaine drew up beside him with his horse and for the first time spoke.

"My Lord, the men are prepared and are awaiting orders" He spoke. His voice was gruff and husky. No emotion portrayed his true feelings towards Dastan however he did raise an eyebrow as Edvard was assisted onto his horse, groaning from old age.

"I am not a Lord, Sir Gwaine" Dastan informed him. The knight merely nodded his head in acknowledgment and Dastan figured that Gwaine was a man of few words.

"Men!" Gwaine ordered as their backs straightened. In perfect unison, they all mounted their horses and slipped the black hoods of their cloaks over their heads. A sense of uneasiness washed over Dastan, they looked like wraiths sent from hell.

A loud crash overhead roared causing the horses to whine. Every man jumped in his bones to see a sharp flash of lightning flood the sky. The sun vanished quickly behind black clouds, blocking the light. The rumbles softly echoed before the rain poured down onto the men below.

Muttering dangerous curses under his breath, Dastan mounted his horse and secured his cloak and furs tightly around him. The sudden change of weather was a warning to the quest, he wouldn't be naïve with what was to come. Someone didn't want them finding Asreldion and they had the magic to bring destruction upon the journey.

As they silently rode out from the castle gates Dastan made a silent oath, one he was bound to keep no matter the consequences. Nothing would prevent him from seeking a cure for his sister. He wasn't going to let her die.

They continued to ride north towards the caves of Sllort for a week, with the heavy rain pelting against their backs. The six men that Dastan questioned from the evening at the castle, who looked out of place, had disappeared after the second night. Dastan wasn't worried, he knew those men weren't soldiers and had most likely returned quietly back to their homes.

Dastan continued to look at the sky wondering for any sign of sunlight. Edvard provided entertainment by grumbling over everything, from the weather to the itch on his nose, whilst he was up the front beside Dastan and Gwaine.

Each night Dastan took the first the watch. Ensuring the men were sound asleep before pulling out the journal from his inner coat pocket to read the map. He was worried that the moonlight would awake the men, yet none but Gwaine and Edvard ever stirred when the page caught alight.

Dastan was glad on the twelfth day of travel the skies started to lighten up. He had never been so glad to feel the warmth of the fading sun on his face as they dismounted their horses to make camp for the night. It was on the edge of the forest, the border of King Barclay's lands.

Gwaine barked the usual orders for a small patrol to scope out the area and fetch firewood. Edvard was happy to kick up his feet and watch the young men around him set up for the night. Soon a simple broth flooded the men's senses, as they filled their bowls to the brim, with a side of bread. The sky cleared quickly allowing the stars to shine brightly throughout the night.

Lying on his bedroll, with his arm supporting his neck, Dastan watched the stars dance above him. The constellations reminded him of home, usually something that gave him ease. But tonight he felt on edge, as though they were being watched. His eyes drifted towards the forest where it remained silent.

In his years of hunting, he knew never to trust a silent forest. A warm breeze blew over the camp, snuffing out the remaining light of the fire. Hearing a few snaps, he bolted up, dagger drawn, with his hands slowly reaching for his sword. He watched for movement in the darkness and found nothing.

His journal in his pocket seemed to grow heavier as he knew the change over of the night guard would occur soon. Sneaking away from the group he ventured into the forest behind a few trees. Slipping the book out from his coat the edge of the pages glowed as the moonlight danced upon him. He blinked to adjust to the harsh light, the map still missing pieces to find the lost Kingdom.

"You can see it?" A soft voice spoke from beside him causing him to snap the journal shut. His sword was drawn, pointed towards the voice as he quickly hid his journal from sight. Dastan paused as the figure came out from the shadows. It was a young woman with flowing brown locks and emerald eyes that drew you in.

The moonlight reflected from behind her giving her an angelic glow. Dastan's breath caught in his throat at the beauty before him. Slowly he lowered his sword, still on guard as she made no movement towards him. He couldn't tell if she was armed or not as her forest green cloak trailed around her. The colour would make it easy for her to disappear and blend.

"Who are you?" Dastan demanded.

"Why do you seek the lost Kingdom of Asreldion?" She questioned, her voice holding authority, yet a sense of peace. Slowly she moved closer towards him causing Dastan to raise his sword towards her chest. In slow movements she gently pushed the blade away from her, allowing her fingers to skim over his hands.

"Beware, men in your company do not seek out Asreldion with pure intentions" She warned, as he gazed down at her as she drew closer. Dastan's eyes narrowed in her direction, unsure whether her warning was a threat or wisdom. Before he question her again a sharp tug came on his shoulder causing him to jolt awake. Regaining his bearings he noticed it was Gwaine who had awoken him with his finger to his lips.

"We're being watched" Gwaine whispered as the two men went in search for their intruder.