XII

The blinding white light slowly faded to a view of clear blue skies and an endless sight of forest. Dastan glanced behind him thinking he would see the goblins chasing after them, but all that remained was a stonewall. They were on the other side of the mountain, safe from harm's way. The large cliff pedestal had a safe trail to the right leading down into the woods below. Flashes of pink, oranges and red filled the sky as the sun started to set.

They all sat down exhausted as before preparing to make camp for the night. They all rubbed their eyes tired, their feet ached and were swollen, their stomachs rumbled empty as they ate cold mutton and rabbit for dinner. No one dared to complain, well at least not in front of Crowen.

Gwaine and his men remained silent throughout the evening. Dastan watched as they all placed a thick black band on one forearm in respect for the six men they had already lost on the journey. Three men to the Selvoths and another three to the Ttarmek. Sighing he had never processed the idea that there could be causalities on the quest. Scoffing he knew that was a naïve thought to have.

Dastan volunteered for the first watch. The crackling fire kept him company as he glanced up at the cloudless sky. The stars and constellations were foreign to him. It made him uneasy; the stars had always given him the comforts of home when he was out hunting. Seeing the moon happily glisten above him he reached for his journal in his pocket.

The page caught alight like usual and began to highlight the next section of the journey. He gasped watching the ink as it began to sketch out the next terrain. He was surprised to see how far west they were. He glanced down at the woods below them and guessed it would have to be the Western Woods.

"You should get some rest" Em yawned waking up beside him. He glanced at her whilst she stretched and rubbed the remaining sleep from her eyes. Just then Em frowned confused, before turning back around.

"What is it?" Dastan asked her as she shook her head.

"Nothing. I thought I heard music?" Her own voice was confused as they watched a flock of black crows fly into the distance.

"I see the map has shown you the next part of our journey" Em spoke nodding towards the book in his hands. They both gazed upon it for a moment longer before Dastan put it away for safekeeping. A gentle breeze kept them cool as he turned to see her staring up at the stars above.

"How did you know that would work back in the tunnels?" He asked causing her to pull her gaze away and look back at him. She hesitated for a moment, thinking whether it would be best to lie to him or not. Deciding against it, she chewed her bottom lip and told him the truth.

"I didn't" She responded causing him to raise an eyebrow in surprise. Had Gwaine been right? Has she risked all of their lives back in the tunnels for a portal that might have potentially not opened?

"Well...I've used that portal connection before. Just going the other way" Em whispered ashamedly. Dastan wondered why she would put herself in danger. They had barely made it out alive.

"Why?" He asked curious to know more about her.

"I was escaping this side of magic. It's much simpler where you live" Em honestly told him. He nodded slowly before they fell into a comfortable silence. They sat watching the flames dance and smoke rise up towards the sky. Dastan wanted to talk more, he hated silence but he couldn't think of what else to say.

"When I was younger I found that the stars gave me comfort. I used to always feel like I was never away from home. But these are constellations I have never seen before" Dastan slowly spoke resting his back against the ground to look up at the bright light above them.

"I can tell you what they mean. If you'd like?" Em offered, looking down at him as he smiled, nodding. Leaning back on her elbows she glanced up at the constellations above them wondering which one to explain first.

"The Asreldions used to say that the star constellations were a way for the Gods to talk down to them. You see that one there?" She began before pointing up into the sky. He leant closer towards her to follow her the point of her hand to see a child in the middle of dancing.

"The Goddess Neva of Festivities. She was always seen as a dancing girl. If you think about it, you are the most carefree when you are younger." She informed as Dastan watched the stars twinkle, allowing the figure above to move. He gasped watching it twirl across the night sky before fading away. He wondered if it had been a trick of the eyes as Em didn't say anything if she noticed it as well.

"That one there is the God Maqtos. God of magic." She pointed out another of a young man holding up a ball of fire. Dastan watched as the fire seemed to explode from his hand in colour.

"That one there is my favourite. It's the God Dimus, the god of Kings" Em smiled happily to have found a smell memory of home. Dastan quickly followed her gaze to see a King in the sky.

"You mean he is the King of the Gods?" Dastan clarified whilst Em merely shrugged.

"Something like that. He has also appointed the Kings of this earth. He ensures justice and wisdom are granted. He is the one who gave the King of Asreldion the jewel many have sought out" She informed causing Dastan to raise an eyebrow.

The God Dimus is the head of the council in the heavens above them, he was fair in his judgement. He watched down upon them smiling to see Em returning home. The god waved his hand from his throne above to manipulate the stars above.

"What's that one?" Dastan questioned as he looked over towards the right to see a new constellation form. Where there had been a blank slate was now a perfect sketch in the stars in the form of a dragon.

"I have only ever seen that constellation once before." Em whispered surprised to see it. It warmed her heart and made the necklace around her neck grow heavy.

"What is it?" Dastan questioned.

"The sign of the Kings of Old. It's said that they look down to give guidance......." Em spoke. Dastan knew there was more to the story about this constellation. Em glanced up at it with a glassy look in her eyes. He wondered what it meant to her and before he knew it, he had fallen asleep. Em's night watch went on peacefully before she awoke another to take over.

"Rise and shine sleeping beauties!" Gwaine shouted as a majority of the soldiers all jumped before groaning. They broke away camp and slowly began to make their way down the rocky slope towards the woods. For once Em had to admit she wasn't completely sure where she was, she had made it a mission to spend minimal time in the Western Woods. She trusted Dastan to lead them through safely.