XIX

It had almost been two weeks to the day they arrived at Reddington's castle that Dastan awoke. Gwaine had assisted in bathing him when he continued to drift in and out of consciousness. He groaned rubbing his tired eyes, which was enough to draw Em's attention away from the window. She had been watching the snowfall before she rushed over to his bedside.

"Gently" She ushered as he pushed himself up into an upright position. He noticed her dressed in a deep blue down that fell off her shoulders. The style of the dress made her necklace sit out in the open, yet it didn't seem to worry her.

"How do you feel?" She asked him as he snapped himself out from staring at her. A warm blush crept up the back of his neck as he coughed and glanced around at the unfamiliar surroundings.

"Much better. Where are we?" He quizzed as Em rang a bell from beside the bell.

"We have been staying with Earl Reddington for the past two weeks. He has offered his hospitality for us to remain until the end of winter" Em informed him. Hearing news that it was winter terrified Dastan as he went to leap out of bed. Em was quick to ensure he remained in bed as he gazed out of the frosted window in disbelief.

"It's winter already?" He guiltily whispered remembering his promise to his sister. A soft knock rang causing both of their heads to turn.

"Come in" Em called out as Dastan merely stared in shock at the woman before him.

"Thank you Helena" Em smiled accepting the tray, holding two chalices of ale and a fresh plate of bread, meat and cheese. Helena smiled down at Dastan glad to see he was awake yet felt a bit unsettled that he was continuing to stare in her direction.

Helena is the maid assigned to Em during their stay. Her skin was a pale blue and grew darker along her features. Her hair was a mix of deep blue, reds and yellows with a beak-shaped nose and mouth. Em figured she was a mix of a tropical bird as her wing feathers hung from her arms like sleeves. She was a woman of few words.

"Don't stare, it's rude!" Em scolded whilst slapping his leg beside her. He glanced at Em unable to comprehend how she wasn't surprised with seeing such an unusual creature.

"But!"

"I forget how sheltered your life was" Em chuckled whilst placing the tray on Dastan's lap. Dastan took offence to Em's word as she slowly sipped on the ale.

"Sheltered?" He scoffed whilst tearing the bread and moaning with delight as it melted in his mouth. Em gave him that look, a look that said don't argue with me. Grabbing holding of the napkin she chuckled whilst wiping the corner of his mouth from where he had missed a piece of cheese.

"You never passed outside the borders before this quest did you?" She informed him as he thought back to the caves of Sllort. He had never ventured further than the nearby kingdom for market day every Wednesday.

"I never had the need" He breathed as neither of them had realised how close they were. She was almost sitting in his lap, his arm had instinctively wrapped around her waist keeping her closer. Neither spoke as their breathing slowly become in sync.

"Exactly. You are not used to seeing different creatures and races besides humans" She whispered out breathlessly as his eyes sparkled in amusement. Clearing her throat and drawing back she stood up from the bed and brushed the base of the dress. Dastan found it peculiar seeing her formally dressed, though he liked it. A small smile escaped the corner of his lips.

"Eat, you need to keep your strength" Em encouraged as neither said a word until Dastan's plate was empty. Placing the tray on the table beside him, he gulped down the ale provided loving the aftertaste that lingered on his tongue.

"What have I missed since I have been asleep?" He quizzed whilst Em just shrugged her shoulders.

"Nothing unusual. Just Edvard grumbling at the fact there is no grand library" Em chuckled whilst leaning against the bottom bedpost.

"Old grouch will get himself into trouble one of these days" Dastan laughed before holding his side. It felt a little uncomfortable, but he expected his muscles to be tender. He had been practically torn to shreds two weeks ago. Throwing the sheets off he slowly edged himself off the bed. Em provided him with an additional support to get to his feet before he walked over towards the window.

"I can't believe it is winter already" He sadly muttered under his breath.

"Why?" Em questioned. She had strained to hear him before as he gazed out the window with a glassy look in his eye.

"I promised Isadora, I would be home before the snow falls" He sighed leaning against the stone wall. He felt the cool stone against his back, before realising he was shirtless. Grabbing hold of the burgundy tunic that lay on the armchair by the fire he winced slipping it over his head.

"I'm sure your sister misses you deeply" Em spoke; her words gave him some comfort yet they made his burdened heart grow heavier.

"I pray she will be strong until I return home," Dastan muttered whilst running a hand through his hair.

"You should write a letter to her. Let her know you are safe" Em offered.

"Don't be ridiculous" Dastan scoffed. A storm was brewing outside; no one would dare venture out there to deliver a letter for him.

"Dastan just write the letter" Em huffed as he turned to look at her with her hands on her hips. She glanced in the direction of the small desk with parchment and ink. Maybe writing a letter couldn't hurt he thought. He slowly sat himself down and picked up the quill, unsure of how to even start his letter home. Em took this moment to turn and head towards the door.

"Em! Thank you" He smiled in appreciation. Her heart bubbled slightly to see a sense of peace fill his eyes as smiled in return.

"When I introduce you to Earl Reddington tonight, try not to stare. He maybe an old Lion but he holds manners in the highest regard" She warned as they both chuckled before the door closed shut.

Dastan's smile didn't fade as he slowly began to write of his adventures to his sister. He left out the part when he almost died and the men they've lost. He wrote about the things he had seen, the people he's met and his hopes to return home to her as soon as he could. As he reread it and he noticed he mentioned Em too often to count. His sister would think she was his wife, by the way, he spoke of her. Folding it and sealing it with wax he tapped it against his hand wondering how Em would get this to his sister.