XXIII

Em lead the way as the men slowly trailed behind her across the open plains. Dastan walked beside her, with the men following in single file. Each footstep they took made their bodies ache, they had been walking non-stop for days. Nothing was in sight but open green hills. Gwaine held the reins to the horse that Edvard sat astride, his grumbles were the only thing that could be heard.

Dastan had noticed that Em had grown silent since leaving the village. He missed her witty remarks and wondered what occupied her mind. Em constantly kept track of which way the wind blew and for any scents of unwelcomed guests. Being out in the open was dangerous, they had no place to seek refuge or battle advantage if they were surrounded.

The ground beneath them slowly transformed away from lush grass to rocky pebbles. The crunching under their boots sounded louder than worship bells, echoing into the distance. Away in her thoughts, Em didn't notice her footing as a large stone rolled away under her weight. Stumbling to the left Dastan was quick to catch hold of her waist to keep her steady.

"Careful" He whispered in her ear as she looked up at him. He noticed the weariness in her eyes and the dark circles forming from lack of sleep. He could feel energy surge through his body as his arm reluctantly fell from her side.

"You should rest," Dastan told her, but she merely shook her head and continued walking. Her uneasy steps made him worried as he caught her several times until they agreed on a ten-minute respite. Groaning, the men gladly collapsed onto the ground, resting their aching feet whilst gulping the water in their skins.

Leaning against a small boulder beside her Em massaged her forehead in hope to reduce her forming headache. She hadn't gotten a proper rest since she left the village as her head slowly jerked downwards. Her eyelids grew heavy as she struggled to remain awake. Her eyelids only closed for a brief second before Dastan gently nudged her awake. Removing the sleep from her eyes she noticed the men already back on their feet to continue forward.

"Ride on the horse with Edvard. Get some rest" Dastan informed her as he assisted her onto the horse in front of the old man. Smiling at his thoughtfulness she allowed her hand to caress his cheek before handing the reins to Gwaine.

"How much further shall we walk in this wilderness?" One of the soldiers shouted towards the front. Dastan paused not knowing the answer as all eyes slowly drifted upwards towards Em. A sudden breeze blew allowing her hair to float over her shoulders. Closing her eyes and breathing in the summer scent of flower and pine, Em glanced down in the direction of the soldier.

"We will reach the edge of the kingdom but noon tomorrow" She informed as many of the men cheered. Though Em knew it would not be what they expected. They continued throughout the night and into the morning. Dastan requested that Em remains on the horse with Edvard to keep up her strength, yet a soft smile would pass her lips as she knew he cared.

As promised they started to make their way up a tall hill only to come face to face with the edge of a forest. Shocked they noticed the woods stretching out for miles either side. Murmurs began to form as Dastan gently shook Em awake. Grumbling under her breath she winced whilst awkwardly dismounting.

Once her feet hit the ground she fell onto her back groaning and covering her eyes with her forearm. The soldiers all snickered as Gwaine rolled his eye trying to convey annoyance though his eyes glistened with laughter. She wasn't used to aches of horse riding as she slowly flipped herself back onto her feet.

"I thought you said we'd be reaching the edge of the Kingdom?" Gwaine questioned as she just scoft nodding towards the forest before them.

"We have." She casually spoke whilst dusting off the dirt from her breeches.