Chapter Thirty Six- It's Called Love

Author's note: holy macaroni we're at 1k views!! Shoutout to Azael-Crimson and Xenoclea for sticking around. I love you guys. Also happy holidays!! ;)

*

"Roy."

His eyes slowly opened, the harsh light striking him through the uncurtained windows. He dreamt a dreamless sleep, still feeling unrested.

"Babe."

MacKenzie sat at the edge of the bed, already dressed. Her hair was long enough now for it to be pulled back. Her eyes looked saddened and tired. Not much sleep, Roy assumed.

She continued to stare at him.

"Did you know that you're fucking beautiful?" Roy exclaimed.

MacKenzie's eyebrows rose.

"Really? Am I really?" She thrusted a small piece of paper into Roy's face, and he sat up, dumbfounded. "Listen, I'm gonna be frank with you-"

"Kenz, what are you-" oh. It was that nurses phone number she slipped him getting into the car.

Roy found himself blushing, and MacKenzie noticed. Her eyes were beginning to well up with tears. She wasn't tired. She was crying.

"Kenzie, it was at the hospital. This chick gave me her number-"

"And you didn't throw it away? Like, you could have thrown it away. But you didn't."

"I'm sorry, MacKenzie. A lot was on my mind, considering. That was the least of my worries, throwing away a random chick's number."

"Yeah, but that means you talked to that random chick, right? Because someone wouldn't just go up to a stranger and give them their telephone number without talking."

"She was some nurse, Kenz."

"Some nurse. Nice. Like me, right? Some nurse."

"Babe. Babe." Roy ripped the paper up and put MacKenzie's hands in his.

"Why are you calling me babe all of a sudden?"

"I don't know...do you want me to stop?"

"I don't care."

"MacKenzie, you're overreacting. It's nothing, see? It's gone. I love you. And we're going to Langdon, remember?"

"I'm sorry," MacKenzie sniffed. "I got a phone call this morning about that whole thing. My aunt is definitely on her deathbed now."

"You're stressed. It's fine." Roy pulled her into him and held her against his chest. "Hey when we leavin', anyway?"

"As soon as we can. I can't believe we're really doing this."

"Which car are we taking?"

"I was thinking yours, so we can take turns driving?"

Roy could tell she was still trying to hold back tears.

"Hey," he whispered. "I love you."