Chapter Eighteen- Keeps Getting Weirder

Roy could not believe he was driving to a job interview

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Roy could not believe he was driving to a job interview. Alone. In a car. Without anyone.

MacKenzie had given him directions. The diner was about ten minutes away at the end of a chain of restaurants and hotels. She kissed him on the lips, more excited than he was. But he knew he needed to stop sitting around all day alone doing nothing. Working.

But Roy was planning anyway to check out the library again, and more than likely not tell MacKenzie he was doing so, after all, he had his car again.

Roy had sex in his car twice. Once with Dahlia years before when he had first bought it with the money he got working at that hotel, and another time after moving to LA with one of the Follies Dancers. She was most unexciting. He wondered if MacKenzie would be willing to...christen it with him this time. He knew she'd totally say yes.

Glory glory, there was a ramp on the side of the building. Just a simple thing like that made Roy happy. Ramps and MacKenzie kisses. And whisky.

Roy looked at himself in the mirror. He shaved, much to MacKenzie's dismay. He noticed she especially liked it when he went a few days without shaving. She'd continuously rub his face and nuzzle him like a cat. To each their own. Roy kind of appreciated it.

He confidently swung open the door and wheeled inside. He looked around. It was completely empty. There were rows of tables, with industrial memorabilia hung above them. There was a gramophone playing an unfamiliar jazz rhythm. A room adjacent to the front table with stools around it was the bakery, also barren of people. Roy didn't really know what to do.

Suddenly a head shot up from the back, an opening in the wall which behind was presumably the kitchen

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

Suddenly a head shot up from the back, an opening in the wall which behind was presumably the kitchen.

This guy was probably in his late twenties to early thirties, his hair was curly, and his beard medium length. He looked as if to be Eastern European. He smiled, droopy eyed. What a character. Roy was anxious to know what the hell he was getting himself into.

"Hey!" The man called, well shouted. It was rather aggressive, but friendly at the same time. "Are you Roy?"

"Y-yeah, I'm Roy..." He said. "I'm supposed to talk to Holger today?"

"Mmmmmmm," he said in a low voice. "Holger is never on time. I promise you that." He sounded a Polish accent. He traipsed in front of the wall casually, holding a butcher knife and wiped it on his apron.

Jesus fuck, MacKenzie, I thought this place was owned by rich people.

"I'm Brent. Sophie is probably in the bathroom."

"Uh...hi."

Just then the bell from the door rang and another man. He crept in slowly. He was probably a teenager. He had tanned skin and matted hair. He nearly bumped into Roy, and in return Roy rolled his eyes as his wheelchair scooted forward.

"I'm Elmer," the kid mumbled. "I talked to your boss last week, I don't know if-"

"Mmmmmmmm," Brent nodded.

An older woman with red curly hair ran out from the bakery. She took one look at Roy, let out an inhuman snort, and spoke to Brent in what was more than likely Polish.

Brent responded in foreign and chuckled. "Holger should be here soon."

Elmer looked down at Roy. Roy really just wanted to get the fuck out. And somehow MacKenzie thought this would be good for him?

The door burst open again suddenly, and the individual entering the diner bumped into Roy so forcefully it almost threw him out of his wheelchair. Nice.

Roy was expecting a hefty German man but no, it was a slender female with strawberry blonde hair and high heels that could kill a man. She was...sharp.

"Who do we have here?" She asked, examining Elmer and Roy. Her voice was higher than Roy imagined, and she was American, thank god.

She seemed to be dressed wealthily. Her hair was curled and her lipstick red. Very striking. Yet as much as she was attractive, Roy had no desires for her. He was much thinking of MacKenzie.

"I'm Peaches Fritzges, you must be Roy?" She smiled.

"And I'm Elmer," the teenager spoke up.

"Elmer, right! You're the new cashier, correct. Go check in with Brent, you know he's the manager. He'll get you started."

Elmer shrugged and walked back towards Brent who was grinning like a loon.

Peaches smiled and crossed her arms. "My husband couldn't be here today. He owns Fritz. Things came up, you know. MacKenzie told me all about you."

"Oh yeah?" That made Roy nervous.

"She said you're good in business."

"Business? I uh, worked in a library for awhile."

"Yeah, stuff like that. I wanna have you work in the office on the necessary permits, inspections, oh and recipes. We're gonna do that, okay?"

"Wait so you're hiring me-"

"I know how tough things are, dear. MacKenzie explained."

Oh man, oh boy.

"Maybe we can get you working in the bakery eventually."

"Nice," Roy nodded.

"I hope nobody chases me!" Brent exclaimed as Sophie followed him with a caulinder. He immediately fell into a stack of boxes near the bakery entrance.

Roy was definitely going to try the library again.

Leapजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें