Chapter 33: Baby Steps

Charlotte's POV

"Kate?" I said surprisingly and he narrowed his eyes at me. "Yes, why do you sound so surprise?"

I gulped and shook my head. "What's her last name?"

"I remembered it's..." He stopped when a knock came on the door and my assistant stepped inside.

"I'm sorry, boss, but Mrs Crawford is here to see you." My eyes widened then I nodded nervously. "Alright, then. Tell her to wait for a second, we are almost done."

Jen has already left just when Lucas started to stand, I quickly stop him. "Wait, you didn't answer my question yet,"

"Maybe next time, I see you have more important matters to attend." He smiled and I shook my head. "just answer -"

"Chill, Charlotte. I got this, she's my responsibility, not yours." He chuckled and waved goodbye at me. I slouched on my chair when he closed the door and left.

I groaned at myself and palmed my face. When I realized that Lucy is outside waiting for me, I quickly stood up and fix myself.

Just the person I was looking for, opened the door. "Should I send Mrs Crawford in already?" She asked and I nodded back. "Send her in, please."

"Charlotte, sweetheart, it's been a while. I missed you so much," She beamed and hugged me. "I miss you too." I sighed and hugged her back. She's not a part of this fight, I won't get her involved.

When she pulled away she cupped my face on her hands and said. "How are you?"

"I'm still in one piece, that's a good sign." I grinned awkwardly and moved to the chairs. "Make yourself comfortable Lucy, while I make you some coffee." I said and turned back at her again. "Is coffee fine with you or you want some tea?"

She smiled and shook her head. "Coffee would be nice, thank you."

"You haven't change since the last time I saw you, still as beautiful and young as ever." I smiled and handed her a cup of coffee.

"Well, those trips to the salon paid off after all." She laughed softly while I join her. She gracefully took a sip of the coffee and gave me back a smile. "You have changed a lot yourself, Charlotte, my dear."

"Two years aren't that much." I chuckled lightly.

She shook her head and her eyes scanned my office. "I am really impressed of you, Charlotte. Not that was a surprise because I always knew you were a very talented and a smart young lady."

"Thank you." I blushed and smiled sheepishly. "So is there something you wanted to tell me, or were you here for business?" I slowly asked.

"Not for business." She smiled. "Charlotte, I would like to invite you to Helmart's 80th anniversary. I do really hope you can come, sweetheart."

Vince is going to be there also, right?

"I'm afraid I can't, Lucy." I said and disappointment filled her eyes. "Is it because my son is going to be there that's why you won't go?" She asked me and I was about answer but she interrupted me. "Look, be there not for my son, but for me...please?"

I looked at her begging eyes for a second and sighed.

I'm so gonna regret this.

"Alright, for you, I'll go." I nodded and smiled at her.

She squealed and clasped her hands together. "Excellent, this is going to be fantastic!"

I just stared at her and faked a grin.