Clauses Only Nigerians Use

1. Come and be going: 

Example: ''It haf do, come and be going''. 

Like seriously? How can you say come and be going at the same time? Nigerians say this when they want a person to leave. You're wondering how it makes sense but it does.

2. I 'kuma' went there: 

Example: "They didn't return the money, I kuma went there o." 

Only God knows when this became an English word. Nigerians say it when they are about to describe an action event, maybe like fighting or a *Nigerian argument*

3. I have 'sha' said my own: 

Example: "If you like answer, I have sha said my own." 

When you hear this, the speaker means his or her opinion has been stated firmly. In addition to this, the speaker won't be bothered about the change of event.

4. I'm coming: 

Example: "Just wait here, I'm coming." 

How could you say you are coming when you are actually leaving the place? Most people say this when they ought to say 'I'll be right back.'

5. I cannot come and kill myself: 

Example: "I've called and called them, I cannot come and kill myself." 

This reflects their attitude when being frustrated. It is a typical Nigerian's way of accepting defeat. Like someone's wish isn't granted, they just accept they can't always be happy and some even say, ''Abeg, me I no fit kill myself o''.

6. Falling my hand: 

Example: "You just keep falling my hand, it is so annoying" 

Nigerians say this when they are disappointed in someone. Pay no attention to the falling hand. It would not drop.

7. Copy copy: 

Example: "You went to buy the cloth too, copy copy"

This is an alternative to ''Copy cat''. This expression is used when the person referred to like doing things other people have done. This means the person lacks originality. 

8. Follow follow: 

Example: "Must you go with them? Follow follow". 

People in Nigeria say this when they mean someone is easily influenced and very persuasive. This is also to describe people who will do anything others do, but it's different with ''copy copy''. Like say someone goes to a party or anywhere else, people just call them ''follow follow'' or ''handbag''.

9. Waka waka: 

Example: "Waka waka, don't you ever get tired?" 

This is Nigerian's way of referring to someone who is restless. People who move from one place to the other, and are always going places are often called this.

10. Shaky shaky: 

Example: ''Don't get there and be doing shaky shaky o''

This is used when talking about someone who lacks courage or confidence to do something. People like this usually behave confidently during their planning and rehearsals but are like a mannequin when the real thing (whatever it is) comes.

11. Dey der: 

Example: "I have taken my own now, dey der." 

People often say this when showing their smartness in a situation. This expression suggests that the other person is not moving at the expected pace, or isn't smart to take an advantage of a situation when it's right in their face.

12. How far?: 

Example: "How far? How you dey?" 

Please make no mistake of thinking you are being asked for the distance of a place. This is our way of saying hello or what is happening.

13. He has arrived: 

Example: ''I cannot believe the guy has arrive''.

You could get lost in a conversation upon hearing this. The person who is being discussed might not have gone anywhere. We say this when we mean luck has finally smiled on a person.

14. Cast: 

Example: "And I was here waiting for you, you just cast me" 

No one is talking about fishing or news casting. The speaker probably meant he wasted time thinking the situation was what he thought it would have been. It means he was not involved in the decision making. It's not always used though.

15. See me see trouble: 

Example: "On top 50 naira change, see me see trouble o" 

This is one of my favorites. This simply means unbelievable. But of course, trust Nigerians to be so dramatic about everything.