A Death in the Family

Viktor grinned. "Enjoy your gift! Its a reminder that you can't beat the brothers Samarov! He stepped in a Nether portal and vanished. James. lunged at it in an attempt to jump through, but it went out. James crashed into the wall behind it with a painful crunch.  "What do we do now?" he asked, standing up. Before an answer could be given, a flaming skull fired by the Wither ripped through the fort and left a gaping hole the fort's side and a large gap in between James and the rest of the group. James noticed a book on a desk next ro the portal. He grabbed it and looked at the cover. The last journal. "Jonathan, catch!" James called, tossing the book over the chasm. Jonathan caught it and shouted, Jump!" James took a running start and jumped. He almost missed completely. He was dangling over the several mile deep chasm by one hand, but began slipping. He held one by four fingers...three...two. He let go and began to fall. Jonathan grabbed his arm just in time. After they pulled him up, the group ran out of the fortress. They dodged fireballs and jumped over lava rivers. "There!" Oliver shouted. He pointed to the large portal created by Viktor. They stopped near the portal and fired a volley of arrows at the blazes, who died in a storm of airborne death. Then something exploded right next to them. The Wither had spotted them. "Forgot about that bloke." Oliver said. They fires arrows at it, but they did no damage. They might as well have been chucking blunt sticks at it. "We have to keep that thing from crossing over." Jonathan said. "I have TNT." David said. "I'll wait until you cross over and then...I'll blow the portal." "NO!" Jonathan shouted. "You'll die." "Just let me do it, Johnny." David replied. Jonathan nodded and hugged his friend one last time. After quick farewells from the group, Jonathan led them through the portal. They were in a swamp. Jonathan turned to the portal and heard the sound of the striking of a flint and steel, followed by his hiss of TNT. There was an explosion and then portal light flickered, then went out.

The end is nigh...