Attack

Everyone scrambled for water, but few buckets were filled. Finally, the fire was put out. Jonathan and some other men investigated the wreckage. There was little food left. Some people cried. Other people stayed silent. "We still have some food in our homes. We will share that for the time being. I want some people rebuilding this. I want a team of twelve men to come with me to find more food. David will be in charge while I'm gone." Jonathan ordered. Men stepped forward to help get food, including George, Abe,Xavier, and Tony. They went to the armory to get their weapons and they left. They walked through a forest, occasionally running into a pig or cow, which they would kill for its meat. They heard a strange squishing sound and they drew their weapons. They heard other sounds like it and they were getting closer. Slimes bounced from the trees and they attacked. George fought off two, but when they split, he was overwhelmed. They hit him again and again until he finally died. The rest of the group swarmed the slimes and slaughtered them. George's reanimated corpse stood slowly and growled. Abe fired an arrow into its head. The group left it and continued. They collected wheat for bread from an abandoned testificate village. Night fell. "We should be getting back." Tony said. Jonathan nodded. They made their way back and found some more food. Later on, as the moon was at its peak in the sky, they saw the lights of Justice as well as the start of the walls. They entered town. Someone ran up to Jonathan. "You have to come to the town hall with me right now!" He said breathlessly. They ran to the town hall to see an awful sight. Someone had been hanged, but it was too dark to see who. They cut the body down and put a torch up to his face. Jonathan didn't recognize him, but Xavier did. "His name was Shane. He was my son." He had tears streaming down his face. That's when Jonathan noticed the most disturbing part. A sign was tied to his body. In blood-red letters, it read First Blood. "One of the Hangman's people did this." Xavier said. "We should get people and weapons together." Jonathan said. Many people raced to the armory and got whatever they could get their hands on. "We are going to attack Gallows!" Jonathan cried. People cheered. Eric ran up to Jonathan. "May I say something?" he asked. Jonathan nodded. Eric turned to the crowd. "You all know me and my story. You know about the scientists that created this thing. But I have not been entirely honest with you. The scientist who left...he's the Hangman."

Stunned silence filled the town. Eric continued. "He was trying to protect himself from the disease, so he cooked up a serum that he believed would work. Instead, it drove him mad. He created the town of Gallows and recruited people. He captured me and another scientist to make him immune. The first one failed, so he hanged him, like other people he dubbed criminals. I was working on something that would poison him before your people came. I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier." He hung his head. "No one blames you, Eric." Jonathan said. Jonathan turned to the crowd. "Let's go take them out!" he shouted. The people marched out of Justice, towards Gallows, ready for a fight. After a lot of walking, the group finally arrived at the town. The air was high with tension. They entered the town. Immediately, archers were on them. Arrows flew back and forth from the building tops. Every once and awhile, a body would fall from the roofs. Then all hell broke loose. More and more armed residents of Gallows flooded from the buildings. An arrow sunk into Xavier's knee and he cried out in pain. Abe swung his pickaxe madly at the assailants, but one of their blade points found his heart and he slumped to the ground. Jonathan saw this chaos and ordered a retreat. Arrows followed them out. They ran all the way back to Justice. David attended Xavier's wounds with the help of Eric. "What if they come here?" David asked. Eric remained silent in fear. Jonathan entered. "We must stay alert. I want watchguard duty set up. Volunteer at the town hall." He ordered. A man stood up. "Hey!" he said loudly. Jonathan turned. "We can't do that now! We have injured people! At least try to care!" Jonathan walked up to the man that he thought Jonathan was going to stab him, or at least give him a good punch. But he just glared into his eyes. If looks could kill, the man would be a zombie. "Are you questioning my authority?" he demanded sharply. Without waiting for an answer, he continued. "I'm trying to protect these people from the Hangman!" The man considered this. "I know. But that's not all you should worry about." Jonathan paused, then nodded. "Okay," he said. He addressed the room. "Will everyone be alright?" People nodded. Jonathan and David left. They headed to a street where they could see the final walls being finished. "Do you think they'll attack us?" David asked. "I hope not. But hope seems irrational these days." Jonathan answered. "Unfortunately, I think you're right." agreed David. Suddenly,an explosion rocked the village and tore a hole through the wall.

The Hangman's people burst through the hole, followed by the Hangman himself. "Kill them all." he ordered in his dark, evil voice. Fires were set to the homes and arrows flew in all directions. The Hangman came up from behind Jonathan and knocked him out. When he awoke, he was on top of a small building with a rope around his neck. The Hangman stood behind him. Startled, Jonathan realized what was happening. He was going to be executed. The Hangman spoke. "People of Justice, I have your leader in my hands. Prepare to watch him swing." With an evil laugh, he shoved Jonathan forward. Before the noose could do its job, an arrow flew out of nowhere and cut it. Jonathan fell to the ground, gasping. David lowered his bow. This sent the place into chaos. People crossed blades and fired arrows at each other. Xavier, now healed thanks to a rare healing potion, charged a masked resident of Gallows. He kicked the stranger in the jaw and his mask slided along the cobblestone street. The man turned to reveal his rage-filled face. Xavier gasped as he realized he recognized the "stranger". It was Zach. "Why did you leave us?" Xavier managed. "Survival of the fittest." Zach responded coldly. "And Justice is not the fittest. So I joined the group that was. They welcomed me and gave me things to do right away. Who do you think burned down the food shed? Who do you think led them here? Who do you think killed your son?" Xavier screamed a battle cry in rage. He charged again. Zach swung his sword at Xavier's blade hand and cut him off at the wrist. Xavier howled in pain and stared at where his hand once was. Zach came up to Xavier and plunged his iron blade into the helpless man's chest. He turned and saw Sara. He smiled evilly. "Why, hello, sweetheart." he said. Out of nowhere, an arrow flew at Zach. The barbed projectile found its mark and he collapsed. Jonathan came up to the body and pulled his arrow out. Sara gave him a quick hug. Jonathan turned and saw the Hangman himself. He was standing over Eric's body with two swords in his hand. Jonathan lept at him. The Hangman swung his blades at Jonathan's neck. Jonathan ducked. One blade clanged into a building and shattered, its durability vanquished. The Hangman swore. Jonathan saw an opening and plunged his sword into the Hangman's stomach. He collapsed. Sara ran up to him and gave him a hug. David came up to him as well. "So it's over?" David asked. Jonathan nodded. What none of them noticed was the Hangman in his final breaths, grab a bow and a single arrow. He notched it and fired it. It found Sara's side. She collapsed, unconscious. David finished the Hangman and examined Sara's wound. "She might be okay. But we have to get her out of here." he told Jonathan. So he brought her and the rest of the survivors out of the destroyed town towards an uncertain future, with Sara's fate teetering on the edge of a knife.